Marinakis era | Vital Football

Marinakis era

the jock

Vital Football Legend
Let's discuss. Yes..the manager has had made poor decisions and is dull. However, there are larger problems at the club. We are yet again at the cusp of sacking another manager.

We have a chairman...who changes his tune like the wind.

A horrific recruitment strategy. Squandered millions on poor players. We sign tutu who spent all last year injured...and guess what...he gets injured in his 2nd game. Do we ever learn?

This whole regime may have more anonymous faces than fawaz. He was an easy target. We don't hear about non payment of bills, but let's face it...they could do one thing that fawaz didn't do and bring us to league 1. There was alot of hype and PR but they have failed to deliver consistently. Where do they go from here ? Another wasted summer. Another wasted season.

I mean. Come on ...these innocent guys were talking about brining us to Europe in a few years. We are more likely to be playing mansfield

Comments please.

Some of the decision making has been outright bizarre.
Sacking managers who get us challenging for playoffs, only to replace them with managers who take us into a relegation battle. That has happened more than once in the short time these guys have been in charge.
Last Summer for me was the biggest series of recruitment cock ups I've seen in ages, and we're looking like we're on for an exact repeat of it.
Going for cat 1 and putting things in place behind the scenes is great, but there's no point in having a fancy head office if you're trying to run a high end restaurant out of a caravan.

Where does the buck stop then in your view popey ?
I'm sure at least one self righteous prick somewhere will claim it rests with the fans.

I'm not sure there is a buck to be honest.

Marinakis is not a hands on owner. He appoints people under him to run the club, and I'm really not convinced he gets personally involved that much.

Vrentzos has clearly made a lot of very poor decisions around recruitment. However, I am extremely skeptical of the new man they have brought in as well.

The whole transfer system has been poor, going right back to Warburton, who was allowed to replace Assombalonga with Darryl Murphy for around £4m in total; an astonishingly atrocious decision.

I don't think all managerial changes were completely the regime's fault; seemed to me that with both Karanka and O'Neill the relationship broke down, and that was as much down to the managers as the owners.

Lamouchi's demise was, in my opinion, a direct result of failing to address what a calamity the Stoke game was. I was labeled an "entitled fan" for arguing that they needed some form of statement or communication to clear the air. It was never forthcoming and you could say we are still suffering the hangover from that. Lamouchi barely discussed it with his players and the result was 5 straight defeats.

A lot of what they have tried to do should have worked on paper. It's just that it feels like there is some sort of cancer that the club is absolutely riddled with. The magic is gone. The days when we all used to absolutely believe that things would work out at this club, that this club could do anything, when we used to be positive and expect the best, are long gone

Adding 15 signings to a 7th placed team?

Chance for promotion and they sign diakhaby da costa and bong. Freezing out of players.

Sacking on o neil ...they treated him like crap.

It's a mess.
Why was adding those necessarily a problem?

We needed depth. Most of them were sensible and should have worked as intended.

The Arter transfer for 40k a week was an absolute disgrace though

Why was adding those necessarily a problem?

We needed depth. Most of them were sensible and should have worked as intended.

The Arter transfer for 40k a week was an absolute disgrace though

How many out of those 15 do we still have? After receiving about 15mil for cash. Squandered on expensive loans and flops

Blackett ioannou guerrero bachirou cafu ...none of these looked even good on paper.

Arter on 2mill a year . Did we even watch his displays. Jenkinson another poor expensive recruit.

How many out of those 15 do we still have? After receiving about 15mil for cash. Squandered on expensive loans and flops

Blackett ioannou guerrero bachirou cafu ...none of these looked even good on paper.

Arter on 2mill a year . Did we even watch his displays. Jenkinson another poor expensive recruit.
I'm not really going to argue this. I don't want to get into defending the regime for the sake of it.

What went on last summer though will pale into insignificance compared to the utter disaster of this summer so far.

The people chosen to make these decisions have not done well and I am very, very skeptical of the new choice

Last edited:
Recruitment aside I actually think they’ve done ok. Cat 1 academy,Ground plans and mainly good managerial appointments.
Karanka was seen as a good appointment and he wanted out I don’t think he was sacked.
MON was a good appointment in fact for me letting him go was their first mistake.
Sabri was a strange appointment not sure whether he was just lucky for the first few months or unlucky for the last few.
And Hughton should have been an excellent appointment, but he needs better players.
Where they have failed for me is recruitment and more importantly trying to get promoted quickly and in doing so trying to get players who either have problems or are out of our range.
The first job of any championship club is avoid relegation and build from there but we seem to try and get cut price quality and get promoted yesterday.
What Forest need and have needed for along time is stability and time to build an identity and ethos at the club, this could still happen on their watch but I doubt it.
In trying to get promoted quickly we will go the other way.

All football owners are so shady they’d struggle to be selected as Tory MP’s

Comparing with Fawaz is idiotic but some idiots do love his twittering & he was a lifelong fan, the pathetic apologist behaviour for him & now attacking big Makz for half as much is shameful

All football owners are so shady they’d struggle to be selected as Tory MP’s

Comparing with Fawaz is idiotic but some idiots do love his twittering & he was a lifelong fan, the pathetic apologist behaviour for him & now attacking big Makz for half as much is shameful

Shameful will be playing in league 1. Shameful is 25000 people having to endure utter shit on a Saturday. Shameful is watching yates and colback playing in midfield. It's not all the current manager..problems existed well before he came. We are no way further forward.

Shameful will be playing in league 1. Shameful is 25000 people having to endure utter shit on a Saturday. Shameful is watching yates and colback playing in midfield. It's not all the current manager..problems existed well before he came. We are no way further forward.

How many winding up petitions have we had? How many PL clubs are refusing to do any business with us? How many clubs are reporting us to the EFL for none payment? How many local businesses are we putting under or they’re refusing to do business with us?

I know all you do is whinge & moan & expect 10+ multi million pound signings each year but that isn’t how it works. We run out of steam under Sabz but COVID didn’t help we have gone utterly backwards under hopeless Hughz

The spine of our team is good enough for the championship granted recruitment has been shit but I wouldn’t trust Hughz to sign anyone after he signed Bong & Murphy & all the other dross.

Hopeless Hughz has not improved a single player, he has in fact made most worse.

I don’t know what people expect we are a championship team with FFP we can’t just keep pissing money up the wall on multi million pound players & their wages

Having a go at Big Makz because you spent years crawling around making apologies for Fawaz is stupid & saying we are relegation candidates is just completely ridiculous.

Sambz, Woz, Kenz, Carvz, Lolz, Grabz (on form) would get in any championship team never mind the bottom half

Then we have Mightz & Johnz who everyone acknowledges are decent prospects for the championship

Yatez & Colz I have some sympathy for as they are being told to play together not choosing to play like that

The LB & RB situation is a joke & should be sorted but you name me one other team that doesn’t have areas they could improve & have work within the circumstances they are given with budgets & FFP

A few on here drone on & on about ambition & support with zero concept of realism & what is happening at other clubs, first thing they’d do when we spend money as well is then moan about how it was wasted.

As I said before name one player hopeless Hughz has improved? You can’t just keep blaming the owner because the manager can’t work with what he’s given.

In my work I’d love more staff, better computer systems, more time, more training time, more of everything I can write you a list now but you know what there isn’t the money for it so instead of expecting it I get on with what I have.

There is still a massive hangover from KING BILL part 1 & ND where a group of our fans just think all we need is to just spend money & that’ll solve everything, without any thought of realism

How many winding up petitions have we had? How many PL clubs are refusing to do any business with us? How many clubs are reporting us to the EFL for none payment? How many local businesses are we putting under or they’re refusing to do business with us?

I know all you do is whinge & moan & expect 10+ multi million pound signings each year but that isn’t how it works. We run out of steam under Sabz but COVID didn’t help we have gone utterly backwards under hopeless Hughz

The spine of our team is good enough for the championship granted recruitment has been shit but I wouldn’t trust Hughz to sign anyone after he signed Bong & Murphy & all the other dross.

Hopeless Hughz has not improved a single player, he has in fact made most worse.

I don’t know what people expect we are a championship team with FFP we can’t just keep pissing money up the wall on multi million pound players & their wages

Having a go at Big Makz because you spent years crawling around making apologies for Fawaz is stupid & saying we are relegation candidates is just completely ridiculous.

Sambz, Woz, Kenz, Carvz, Lolz, Grabz (on form) would get in any championship team never mind the bottom half

Then we have Mightz & Johnz who everyone acknowledges are decent prospects for the championship

Yatez & Colz I have some sympathy for as they are being told to play together not choosing to play like that

The LB & RB situation is a joke & should be sorted but you name me one other team that doesn’t have areas they could improve & have work within the circumstances they are given with budgets & FFP

A few on here drone on & on about ambition & support with zero concept of realism & what is happening at other clubs, first thing they’d do when we spend money as well is then moan about how it was wasted.

As I said before name one player hopeless Hughz has improved? You can’t just keep blaming the owner because the manager can’t work with what he’s given.

In my work I’d love more staff, better computer systems, more time, more training time, more of everything I can write you a list now but you know what there isn’t the money for it so instead of expecting it I get on with what I have.

There is still a massive hangover from KING BILL part 1 & ND where a group of our fans just think all we need is to just spend money & that’ll solve everything, without any thought of realism

I don't think you even watch games to be honest judging by posts you make

Where did I ever make excuses for fawaz?. I was one of the first to say he was a clown on here. I also said there hasn't been one game under hughton

We got around 22 million for appiah and cash. What have we to show for it. Fuck alll. Add in other fees we got like soudani , arnsarifard, chema. It's criminal.

He improved Christie
He improved Garner
He improved Mighten
He improved Krov
He improved Bong, not that he should win any awards for that.

He did the very basic minimum that was required of him last season but no more than that.

It isn't just a Hughton issue. He has lost the scorers of 40% of our pathetic 37 goals last season and has been expected to make that up (remember, all three relegated sides outscored us) with kids who are not ready to take that responsibility and half the defence that saved us.

Of course he hasn't improved the squad much- many of the players that were important last season were never ours and have either left or are leaving. Our first team is now made up largely of players who weren't good enough to get into it last season, or players that desperately needed to be improved on for us to push on.

It also seems pretty clear that he was promised something other than our own self imposed Embargo/administration transfer window.

Absolutely he is to blame for some of it. Those players are failing at the basics and he has lost the fans already because it is shite to watch. The players look broken after three games and he clearly doesn't know how to turn that around; I'm not sure he has ever faced it before.

But i think we are dreaming if we imagine sacking him will be a magic button to suddenly do better. The new CEO has to be held to account

I don't think you even watch games to be honest judging by posts you make

Where did I ever make excuses for fawaz?. I was one of the first to say he was a clown on here. I also said there hasn't been one game under hughton

We got around 22 million for appiah and cash. What have we to show for it. Fuck alll. Add in other fees we got like soudani , arnsarifard, chema. It's criminal.

Do you understand how FFP works? You know we need to sell?

What player has improved under Hughz? How can you blame the owner for that? He can’t expect a whole new squad because he wants to play a certain way

There’s a lot to be negative about and it is easy to get swept up in the hyperbole but a dose of realism wouldn’t hurt.

He improved Christie
He improved Garner
He improved Mighten
He improved Krov
He improved Bong, not that he should win any awards for that.

He did the very basic minimum that was required of him last season but no more than that.

It isn't just a Hughton issue. He has lost the scorers of 40% of our pathetic 37 goals last season and has been expected to make that up (remember, all three relegated sides outscored us) with kids who are not ready to take that responsibility and half the defence that saved us.

Of course he hasn't improved the squad much- many of the players that were important last season were never ours and have either left or are leaving. Our first team is now made up largely of players who weren't good enough to get into it last season, or players that desperately needed to be improved on for us to push on.

It also seems pretty clear that he was promised something other than our own self imposed Embargo/administration transfer window.

Absolutely he is to blame for some of it. Those players are failing at the basics and he has lost the fans already because it is shite to watch. The players look broken after three games and he clearly doesn't know how to turn that around; I'm not sure he has ever faced it before.

But i think we are dreaming if we imagine sacking him will be a magic button to suddenly do better. The new CEO has to be held to account

Christie he did improve but I’m not sure about the others especially Garner who I actually think got worse

The new CEO has been in about 8 weeks & 2 of those we’ve had a COVID outbreak

As you have said Hughz doesn’t know how to change this.

We need a new manager if that then goes wrong then we can start blaming CEO’s.

Do you understand how FFP works? You know we need to sell?

What player has improved under Hughz? How can you blame the owner for that? He can’t expect a whole new squad because he wants to play a certain way

There’s a lot to be negative about and it is easy to get swept up in the hyperbole but a dose of realism wouldn’t hurt.

My background is accounting and financial systems so i probably understand it alot better than you .we need to sell. But we don't need to sign 20 bums out of it as we have done . Lamouchi Turned down Guerrero twice...that wasn't the manager choice.

Hughton can have no excuse but there must be a reason manager keep failing here. He said he was frustrated with lack of signings weeks ago.. we signed a sub keeper, zinc who is decent and a right back who spent all last year injured.

Whether intentionally or not we’ve sacrificed gaps in the squad appearing and the ramifications of that to try to get in a ‘Better’ class of player which takes time, none of which have appeared yet.
If we do achieve this maybe it will have been worth it but the evidence so far suggests not.
Are we going after such a better class of player that in actual fact they are out of our league?
If so the damage done to this club will be extreme. The squad as it stands now will not survive another relegation fight and nor should we expect it to.