Marcus Rashford | Page 2 | Vital Football

Marcus Rashford

You should write for the DM. Send them some of your stuff. They may well pay you handsomely for it. You can then donate the money to charity. Make sure you tell everyone how much you are donating though, in case they think you are being hypocritical.

True? Maybe big business or large donors should also keep quiet.

You should write for the DM. Send them some of your stuff. They may well pay you handsomely for it. You can then donate the money to charity. Make sure you tell everyone how much you are donating though, in case they think you are being hypocritical.

Perhaps you do not believe in balanced reporting. I notice that you are not telling me what part of my account you can provide evidence as being untrue.

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if an announcement is made about the new Marcus Rashford foundation, as I would then presume that he has donated and is actually putting in some real work rather than just using his natural profile and thumbs to "retweet" during his idle hours.

Still, I can see how he can be seen as a real hero and deserves to be honoured above, say, anonymous squaddies in Afghanistan.

Perhaps you do not believe in balanced reporting. I notice that you are not telling me what part of my account you can provide evidence as being untrue.

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if an announcement is made about the new Marcus Rashford foundation, as I would then presume that he has donated and is actually putting in some real work rather than just using his natural profile and thumbs to "retweet" during his idle hours.

Still, I can see how he can be seen as a real hero and deserves to be honoured above, say, anonymous squaddies in Afghanistan.
I just thought you sounded churlish and made yourself look a bit of a bellend tbh. If he announced what he donates (if anything) then I have no doubt that people would denounce him for publicising it rather than wuietly getting on with good works. People in his position get slagged off whatever they do.

Obviously he isn't a "hero" in terms of putting his life on the line but he is setting a good example. He does't claim to be such as far as I can see. I like the fact that he is publicising the fact that people like his mum can be poor yet work hard rather than the stereotype of lazy people scrounging "handouts".

He is also a refreshing change from the "Influencers" holidaying in Dubai at the moment who, sadly, seem to be looked up to by many (young) people.

I just thought you sounded churlish and made yourself look a bit of a bellend tbh. If he announced what he donates (if anything) then I have no doubt that people would denounce him for publicising it rather than wuietly getting on with good works. People in his position get slagged off whatever they do.
Obviously he isn't a "hero" in terms of putting his life on the line but he is setting a good example. He does't claim to be such as far as I can see. I like the fact that he is publicising the fact that people like his mum can be poor yet work hard rather than the stereotype of lazy people scrounging "handouts".
He is also a refreshing change from the "Influencers" holidaying in Dubai at the moment who, sadly, seem to be looked up to by many (young) people.

Maybe I am being churlish but I am not slagging him off. I am just trying to balance out what seems to be mass hysteria and ask two questions.

(1) Has he really done that much work and (2) has he put his own money where his mouth/tweet is?

Of course, politicians are going to praise and honour him as he is a popular high profile footballer so they can see kudos in doing so.

However, apart from telling his very sad childhood story, all I have seen are publications of his posts on social media, many of which are "retweets" and as short as "not good enough".

The Chartwell debacle did need to be highlighted and exposed but he did not find it out himself. He just picked it up from social media, sent to him because of his high profile connection to the subject matter.

Above all, people seem to think he is sticking it to the government by making them fund something, but the government does not fund anything. Ultimately taxpayers do, and they will pay the ultimate price when austerity is reintroduced due to the effects of Covid. Premier League footballers will not be feeling the pinch in the same way.

It is quite shameful that the government had to wait until a footballer points out that our taxes spent via Compass are clearly not getting value for money.
Johnson publically thanking Marcus Rashford for pointing out the facts was cringingly embarrassing.
I know the government is busy but (unless they were complicit) why had no one alerted those who commissioned the contract that it was clearly falling short?

Worth also mentioning that he signed a new deal at Manchester Utd last year rumoured to be worth 200k per week. A large amount of this is (allegedly) paid as *image or performance rights, therefore avoiding tax payments on it.
* apologies but the actual wording escapes me now- in was in private eye a month ago and has been recycled by now.

To be fair, some tax is paid although it is initially only 19% and the net sum is stored in a company. When the player draws it out later in the form of a dividend, he would pay a further sum based on his tax status at the time.

It could explain why he may not have access to vast cash sums at the moment, but that is his choice.

Last edited:
I know the government is busy but (unless they were complicit) why had no one alerted those who commissioned the contract that it was clearly falling short?

Government blaming local councils for their award of the contracts but that is a bit hypocritical considering how many ministers seem to award larger contracts to their mates' companies, like in the case of the unusable PPE.

They cream off massive profits and IMO I think that is why the hampers only seem to be worth about 20% of the value of the money provided.

In the private sector, a prosecution for corruption would shirley follow. In the public sector, it will just be put right (purely because they were found out) and brushed under the carpet.

Last edited:
A bit like the Emperor's new clothes, this.

Another possibility is that it is a Premier League Footballer on a six figure salary (not counting sponsorship) telling the Government how they should use hard working taxpayer's money (including his, granted).

Where is the evidence that he, personally, does not have very deep pockets but very short arms? Not a word of him donating one additional brass cent.

Yes, he had a very hard and poor upbringing, like thousands of other kids, and has publicised it on social media, but players spend hours on that when they are bored after ending training at lunchtime each day. Their advantage is that they have a platform that thousands want to read but give it ten years and nobody will be interested.

If he is "out there" actively undertaking such intelligent and focused campaigning, I would also ask why the BBC is still showing that same piece of film of him looking bemused as he takes several minutes to transfer one box of satsumas from one car to another, in the same way that the Queen looks when "planting" a tree.

I suppose some will say it is irrelevant and none of our business how rich he is now but if that is true, why should we be interested in how poor he was before?

This is bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself, GBN.

Anyone noticed how some people just hate seeing working class lads or lasses earning big money, especially if they then try to raise awareness and make real efforts to reduce poverty by challenging the government and/or the system?

The old, "it's the parents' responsibility, they're the ones to blame", line has already been trotted out, now we're getting the, "he's got loads of money, what's he contributing?" crap. Rashford has made lots of contributions financially, and has helped raise millions and millions of pounds to help fight child poverty. More importantly than that, he has expertly taken advantage of his (now) privileged position of being a famous Premier League footballer playing for a world famous football club, and given his time and energy, to a campaign that has not only exposed and highlighted the injustice and obscenity of child poverty in 21C UK but actually challenged the government to such an extent that they have been forced into addressing the issue.

Why should we be interested in the fact that he was once poor?! Fck me what a stupid question to ask! Let me see. PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE HAS SOME FCKING EXPERIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF POVERTY AND HUNGER, UNLIKE THE PRIVILEGED OLD ETONION, BULLINGDON BOY, PRIME MINISTER AND HIS GOVERNMENT WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY FCK ALL UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER! (Sorry for the caps lock but ffs, that needed to be shouted!).

Last edited:
This is bullshit. You should be ashamed of yourself, GBN.

Anyone noticed how some people just hate seeing working class lads or lasses earning big money, especially if they then try to raise awareness and make real efforts to reduce poverty by challenging the government and/or the system?

The old, "it's the parents' responsibility, they're the ones to blame", line has already been trotted out, now we're getting the, "he's got loads of money, what's he contributing?" crap. Rashford has made lots of contributions financially, and has helped raise millions and millions of pounds to help fight child poverty. More importantly than that, he has expertly taken advantage of his (now) privileged position of being a famous Premier League footballer playing for a world famous football club, and given his time and energy, to a campaign that has not only exposed and highlighted the injustice and obscenity of child poverty in 21C UK but actually challenged the government to such an extent that they have been forced into addressing the issue.

Why should we be interested in the fact that he was once poor?! Fck me what a stupid question to ask! Let me see. PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE HAS SOME FCKING EXPERIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF POVERTY AND HUNGER, UNLIKE THE PRIVILEGED OLD ETONION, BULLINGDON BOY, PRIME MINISTER AND HIS GOVERNMENT WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY FCK ALL UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER! (Sorry for the caps lock but ffs, that needed to be shouted!).

I will never be ashamed to stand up against the wave of brain dead bandwagon jumpers.

Perhaps you are happy to include multi millionaire Premier League footballers in your band of anarchists. If Rob is right, he is using a loophole scheme to avoid paying tax at the same time as he is dictating to Johnson how other taxpayers money should be used. If that is not hypocrisy, what is?

He is not challenging the system. He is now part of it. I thought you were intelligent enough to see that is the bullshit. Apparently not.

I am sure that there were a lot of hungry children who were in his position that would have become philanthropists if they had ever been lucky enough to become vastly overpaid in the future (he is not saving lives ffs). Rashford may become one, but I have yet to see any evidence and the tax "planning" rumour suggests exactly the opposite.

"PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE HAS SOME FCKING EXPERIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF POVERTY AND HUNGER, UNLIKE THE PRIVILEGED OLD ETONION, BULLINGDON BOY, PRIME MINISTER AND HIS GOVERNMENT WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY FCK ALL UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER! (Sorry for the caps lock but ffs, that needed to be shouted!)"

I suggest YOU do a little research and you will see that the BULLINGDON BOY has CHOSEN a career where he earns less in a year than Rashford does in about four days. Working class hero, don't make me laugh !

Last edited:
Had to laugh at the "chosen a career" that will make him less money than Rashford.

How selfless of Johnson. There was me thinking he was less than a perfect human being.

I will never be ashamed to stand up against the wave of brain dead bandwagon jumpers.

Perhaps you are happy to include multi millionaire Premier League footballers in your band of anarchists. If Rob is right, he is using a loophole scheme to avoid paying tax at the same time as he is dictating to Johnson how other taxpayers money should be used. If that is not hypocrisy, what is?

He is not challenging the system. He is now part of it. I thought you were intelligent enough to see that is the bullshit. Apparently not.

I am sure that there were a lot of hungry children who were in his position that would have become philanthropists if they had ever been lucky enough to become vastly overpaid in the future. Rashford may become one, but I have yet to see any evidence and the tax "planning" rumour suggests exactly the opposite.

"PERHAPS IT IS BECAUSE HE HAS SOME FCKING EXPERIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING OF POVERTY AND HUNGER, UNLIKE THE PRIVILEGED OLD ETONION, BULLINGDON BOY, PRIME MINISTER AND HIS GOVERNMENT WHO HAVE ABSOLUTELY FCK ALL UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER! (Sorry for the caps lock but ffs, that needed to be shouted!)"

I suggest YOU do a little research and you will see that the BULLINGON BOY has CHOSEN a career where he earns less in a year than Rashford does in about four days. Working class hero, don't make me laugh !

He hasn't joined on any bandwagon but it appears you're in danger of doing so.

What exactly do you mean when you say, "Perhaps you are happy to include multi millionaire Premier League footballers in your band of anarchists"?! This seems like meaningless rhetoric to me. What have other Premier League footballers and/or anarchists have to do with this?!

Of course he is challenging the system! You keep saying daft things. Why is he now a,' part of the system' but wasn't before. If you're poor do you not get to be part of the system? Is that what it's all about? Is that how you prefer things? The wealthy and big earners get to be, 'part of the system', but only on the condition they never criticise or challenge the system?

What is this tax rumour? Is it more FaceBollocks shit? Lot of people very desperate to discredit young Marcus it seems.

Oh, and once last thing that I think you should know, the working class get to choose their own heroes, that's kinda the point.

I suggest YOU do a little research and you will see that the BULLINGDON BOY has CHOSEN a career where he earns less in a year than Rashford does in about four days. Working class hero, don't make me laugh !
If the 200k a.week figure is right, then he earns over twice what the Chief Executive of Chartwells earns. This is case where the actual facts don't help!

Rashford should be applauded though, he is highlighting a serious issue, and is hardly the only hypocrite is he?

I agree what MR is doing is commendable and obviously a good cause, he also doesn’t have to do it, so good on him for taking the time out to bring it to everyone’s attention.

Worth also mentioning that he signed a new deal at Manchester Utd last year rumoured to be worth 200k per week. A large amount of this is (allegedly) paid as *image or performance rights, therefore avoiding tax payments on it.

* apologies but the actual wording escapes me now- in was in private eye a month ago and has been recycled by now.

I'm not sure if it was worth mentioning, Rob, especially if it's just a rumour.

I can't view the actual Private Eye article but it's mentioned here in an article from the New Statesman last November. I'd like to read the actual article but I do wonder, if there was any substance to it, why we've heard nothing since?

I think some people are desperate to discredit the lad. In the BBC documentary there is a bit where they address the abuse and criticism that he receives. As is so often the case, he answers with a cool maturity and wisdom that I find inspirational from such a young man.

If you've watched the BBC documentary about him you'll know that his mum had asked Manchester United to take Marcus on a year earlier than is normal. She explained that she was worried because she knew what would happen if Marcus had been lost to the streets. There was a real danger of this happening as she tried to juggle the struggle of having to earn a living doing low-paid work at unsociable hours with the difficulties of raising a child as a single parent. The realities of poverty.

Rashford earns mega money because he is an extremely talented and dedicated professional footballer player. Now I'd be the first to argue that premier league footballers get paid way too much money, but that's a completely separate issue which is really isn't relevant to Rashford's efforts with regard to child poverty.

The point that some people seem to be (wilfully) missing is that Rashford earns vast sums despite the fact he was raised in poverty. This is in stark contrast to the vast majority of CEOs who earn vast sums as a result of their privilege. How many of them have ever gone hungry? Do you think any of them ever have, ffs? Now consider the head start that most of them would have had in life; the private schooling, the university education, the networks and connections. There is no comparison to be made between Rashford and Blakemore, or between Rashford any any CEO. All these efforts to discredit such a brilliant young man are pretty desperate and rather sickening.

Last edited:
I think some people are desperate to discredit the lad. In the BBC documentary there is a bit where they address the abuse and criticism that he receives. As is so often the case, he answers with a cool maturity and wisdom that I find inspirational from such a young man.

I'm not sure anyone is "desperate" to discredit him, they are just pointing out additional facts.

You yourself posted a picture of "working class hero" Marcus Rashford (salary £10 million pa) as well as posting a picture of Dominic Blackmore which referenced his salary (£4.6 million pa).

What is this tax rumour? Is it more FaceBollocks shit? Lot of people very desperate to discredit young Marcus it seems.

The tax rumour as I understand based upon the comments made by Rob (the other one, not me) is the assumption he does his image rights in the same tax structure as most other footballers and people in the wider media. I am assuming he doesn't use offshore accounts which is a legal grey area.

Basically he earns enough in salary to be taxed at the higher tax rate. If the money received for his image is put into a separate legal company then he will only need to pay tax when he withdraws money from the company.

If he withdraws all the image money as earnt then it'll be largely taxed at 45%.

However, if he waits until he retires and has no other income, then for any money he does take out,

the first £12,500 will be tax free
the next £37,500 will be at 20%
the next £100,000 will be at 40%

Of course, upon retiring I doubt he will stop working completely and only withdraw £49,000 per year. But nevertheless by delaying the withdrawal he will make tax savings equal to more than a lot of poverty stricken people earn.

Disclaimer: I'm not knocking young Rashford for doing the above. I suspect most people would do the same if they earnt enough in the first place.

I'm not sure if it was worth mentioning, Rob, especially if it's just a rumour.

I can't view the actual Private Eye article but it's mentioned here in an article from the New Statesman last November. I'd like to read the actual article but I do wonder, if there was any substance to it, why we've heard nothing since?

If you've watch the BBC documentary about him you'll know that his mum had asked Manchester United to take Marcus on a year earlier than is normal. She explained that she was worried because she knew what would happen if Marcus had been lost to the streets. There was a real danger of this happening as she tried to juggle the struggle of having to earn a living doing low-paid work at unsociable hours with the difficulties of raising a child as a single parent. The realities of poverty.

Rashford earns mega money because he is an extremely talented and dedicated professional footballer player. Now I'd be the first to argue that premier league footballers get paid way too much money, but that's a completely separate issue which is really isn't relevant to Rashford's efforts with regard to child poverty.

The point that some people seem to be (wilfully) missing is that Rashford earns vast sums despite the fact he was raised in poverty. This is in stark contrast to the vast majority of CEOs who earn vast sums as a result of their privilege. How many of them have ever gone hungry? Do you think any of them ever have, ffs? Now consider the head start that most of them would have had in life; the private schooling, the university education, the networks and connections. There is no comparison to be made between Rashford and Blakemore, or between Rashford any any CEO. All these efforts to discredit such a brilliant young man are pretty desperate and rather sickening.

The 200k aweek part was rumoured. A simple google confirmed it. I think the main reason that little has been made of the tax avoidance issue is that the whole premier league are at it. That’s a hell of a lot of food parcels that could be paid for. I wish I hadn’t slung the issue of Private eye away now. At least if I had a rabbit it would be aligning the hutch and I could’ve retrieved it, droppings and all..........

Again as I said, I DO like the fact that he is keeping hungry kids in the forefront of people’s minds and I’m sure his intentions are honourable. If he made a point of cutting the tax avoidance to “do his extra bit” I would warm to him a little more, that’s all.

The tax rumour as I understand based upon the comments made by Rob (the other one, not me) is the assumption he does his image rights in the same tax structure as most other footballers and people in the wider media. I am assuming he doesn't use offshore accounts which is a legal grey area.

Basically he earns enough in salary to be taxed at the higher tax rate. If the money received for his image is put into a separate legal company then he will only need to pay tax when he withdraws money from the company.

If he withdraws all the image money as earnt then it'll be largely taxed at 45%.

However, if he waits until he retires and has no other income, then for any money he does take out,

the first £12,500 will be tax free
the next £37,500 will be at 20%
the next £100,000 will be at 40%

Of course, upon retiring I doubt he will stop working completely and only withdraw £49,000 per year. But nevertheless by delaying the withdrawal he will make tax savings equal to more than a lot of poverty stricken people earn.

Disclaimer: I'm not knocking young Rashford for doing the above. I suspect most people would do the same if they earnt enough in the first place.

Thanks for that.

Who would blame him for doing that? I don't think many working class people would. They might if it the person doing it was someone who had already had the advantage of the opportunities that privilege brings. But if they were told this was a working class lad who had been raised in poverty before making it as a top footballer, and who had then managed to make a tory government listen and act on the issue of child poverty, I don't think any would blame him. The only people who do want to blame him are those who want to discredit him. And I am deeply suspicious of their motives for doing so.

I am not knocking Rashford either, but do not see him as a hero either.

However, if I remember correctly, his first campaign was to demand that the government (and, by association the taxpayer) provide free school meals during the school holidays.

That has never been done in the past and he decides to demand it, without even being means tested, at a time that the country is running up the biggest public borrowing figure in living memory due to Covid. Ordinary taxpayers will have to bear the pain in paying that back at some point.

I am surprised that I have not been attacked as just being envious of his money but I can honestly say I am not. I am keenly aware of what money will not buy you (good health, true friends, etc) and for the religious (not me), there is Matthew 19.24 "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Unfortunately, when accountants and agents get in players ears, that sort of logic means nothing to them.

The 200k aweek part was rumoured. A simple google confirmed it. I think the main reason that little has been made of the tax avoidance issue is that the whole premier league are at it. That’s a hell of a lot of food parcels that could be paid for. I wish I hadn’t slung the issue of Private eye away now. At least if I had a rabbit it would be aligning the hutch and I could’ve retrieved it, droppings and all..........

Again as I said, I DO like the fact that he is keeping hungry kids in the forefront of people’s minds and I’m sure his intentions are honourable. If he made a point of cutting the tax avoidance to “do his extra bit” I would warm to him a little more, that’s all.

What's this about a rabbit, Rob? Where did that come from? Hoping (not hopping!) you've not lost a furry friend recently...?

Last edited: