Marcus Rashford MBE | Page 4 | Vital Football

Marcus Rashford MBE

Fair play Rashford. I was a bit sceptical about PR motives but I think it's genuine

I remember Fear posting something about Rashford a while ago, and the article within it showed Rashford for what he is - a top guy who is absolutely genuine, and - agree with him or not - a breath of fresh air for a footballer. Similar thing with lingard - who isn’t a top player - but he’s got an interesting story, in terms of his childhood.

These guys are from disadvantaged backgrounds, haven’t had it easy and instead of looking for a sympathy vote which is my issue with Lewis, they are using it constructively to help others.

I’d give him a clap if he jogged over tomorrow my corner of the Holte to take a corner. I’m taking a pragmatic view of the issue in question so I’m not one of those who dives head first to agreeing with it, but the circumstances right now for me, make it right.

Last edited:
Some friends of ours have a kid on free school meals. In the summer holidays just gone (throughout which the scheme was extended) they received vouchers to the value of £90 (or £15 a week, the equivalent value of the weekly school meals).

The voucher was in the form of an e-voucher which they could redeem for a gift card from selected supermarkets (Tesco, Aldi, Morrisons, Sainsbury's I think). It was clearly stated that the purchase of alcohol and cigarettes would not be permitted, and rightly so, of course.

All of which required internet access and potentially access to a printer (if you wanted to redeem in-store), neither option is available to everyone, not least the very poorest for which this system was designed. But I digress.

The point I'm making is that there is nothing wrong in principle with extending the system in the current circumstances, as it will assist the most disadvantaged who are most likely to remain furloughed, have seen their hours cut or even lost their jobs, so as @david-avfc alluded to above, how will they magically have money for meals in the holidays as opposed to term time?

I totally agree that the state should not have to pay for 'bad' parenting, but that's not the issue at hand here. This is about poor families being made to struggle even harder while, for instance, MPs and Lords continue to enjoy their subsidised catering in the Palace of Westminster (as well as looking forward to a potential pay rise of £3k).

The government managed to find the thick end of £600m for the Eat Out to Help Out scheme in the summer, so why so hard to find £60-70m to feed genuinely hungry CHILDREN for a bit longer?
If the government are to be pushed into some form of support re meals they should re open the school halls and canteens and feed the kids proper food.
For a number of years I worked extensively in peoples homes on some of Brum and the Black Countries most deprived estates and there are parents on those estates who should never be let loose anywhere near a child.
Opening the schools would ensure these children got fed in a safe, supervised environment.

Yes, I was thinking similar wittonite, instead of giving money out, make sure it is actual food provided to the child.

The local Muffin Break in Redditch is giving free food to the kids, they say no questions asked, just honesty and kindness asked for, which I think is lovely. It is a nice little menu for the kids as well.

If the government are to be pushed into some form of support re meals they should re open the school halls and canteens and feed the kids proper food.
For a number of years I worked extensively in peoples homes on some of Brum and the Black Countries most deprived estates and there are parents on those estates who should never be let loose anywhere near a child.
Opening the schools would ensure these children got fed in a safe, supervised environment.

Great idea, also gives 6-7 canteen staff more work. For kids who can’t get to the schools because of parents working or logistics, pre cook and pack meals in the morning, and hand deliver them.

There must be a way to do this rather than loosely give out a form of money to be used on other things.

Shame this government can’t think out of the box like that!

I totally agree that some parents will abuse the meals if given the chance.

However whatever industry/service it is there will always be con merchants, corrruption and services abused. We have only got to look at the government for that.

Vouchers for food, meals at set places etc are perfectly doable

Not sure it is down to footballers but........ well, err?

View attachment 43187
There is a theme in the western world where the rich and wealthy, certain members of the Royal family, rock stars, celebrities etc tell the rest of us how we should live our lives, what causes we should support, how to spend our money, how to vote, etc,etc,etc.
Not saying its not a good cause, but it wears a bit thin after a while.

I've just been out in the front garden picking up all the crisp packets and sweet wrapper pop cans and takeaway cartons that have collected there since the poor starving children of Smethwick returned to school over the last few weeks.

You will have to excuse me if I don't actually think there are many starving kids even in an area like this. There are however a lot of feckless parents

I've just been out in the front garden picking up all the crisp packets and sweet wrapper pop cans and takeaway cartons that have collected there since the poor starving children of Smethwick returned to school over the last few weeks.

You will have to excuse me if I don't actually think there are many starving kids even in an area like this. There are however a lot of feckless parents

They have front gardens in Smethwick ?