Marcus Rashford MBE | Vital Football

Marcus Rashford MBE

Tough one. I'm very anti-Tory and I appreciate the sentiments of Marcus Rashford and others but I can also appreciate that it's not the state's responsibility to feed people's children. Perhaps it's the right approach during the pandemic but only during the pandemic?

I wonder how many parents of those under-privileged kids smoke or drink regularly. Yes some are genuine cases and I feel for those kids but you have to draw the line somewhere. It's easy to provide a nutritious meal for very little cost. Whether parents choose do this is a different matter altogether.

I wonder how many parents of those under-privileged kids smoke or drink regularly. Yes some are genuine cases and I feel for those kids but you have to draw the line somewhere. It's easy to provide a nutritious meal for very little cost. Whether parents choose do this is a different matter altogether.
Part of the problem here is that lots of parents either cant or wont cook.
It should be compulsory for boys and girls in school to attend cookery classes.
Its a life skill.
You are correct Fulford, it is very cheap to produce casserole, stew type meals, pasta etc for very little money but many find it too much trouble and settle for Mc Donalds, take aways or ready meals at far greater cost, and very little nutritional value.

Is it the kids fault though if their parents aren't up to the job ?
This is where I net out. Whilst I do think to myself, 'why do these people have kids if they can't provide the basics', this isn't the kids' fault is it? Kids who go to school hungry are not going to learn effectively and therefore have damaged prospects as they go through life, that doesn't benefit society does it.

This is where I net out. Whilst I do think to myself, 'why do these people have kids if they can't provide the basics', this isn't the kids' fault is it? Kids who go to school hungry are not going to learn effectively and therefore have damaged prospects as they go through life, that doesn't benefit society does it.

This is why the benefits the parents get paid should be reduced with them getting meal vouchers or similar to force them to feed their children rather than expect everyone else to do it for them.

This has never been done, there are benefits, SOME parents these days don't know how to cook simple and cheap food. The state isn't there to do everything.

With that said, I would hate to think of any kid going hungry, not a single one, but some of the parents should hang their heads in shame.

As said, there have never been school dinners in holidays, should the state have to provide absolutely everything?

And I repeat, I hate the thought of any kids going hungry.

Things are a little bit different now with so many people losing their jobs because of the pandemic but any family that has to send their kids to school during the holidays to get a free meal should be investigated by social services.

If the tax payer has to feed your kids for you, they also get a say in what happens to them.

Things are a little bit different now with so many people losing their jobs because of the pandemic but any family that has to send their kids to school during the holidays to get a free meal should be investigated by social services.

If the tax payer has to feed your kids for you, they also get a say in what happens to them.

This is what the tory got in trouble for when he rather clumsily said in Parliament the kids shouldn't be nationalised, or words to that effect.

This, (like track and trace) though, should be on a local level (and the local level then HAS to be funded correctly to deal with it.

I really don't believe that there are starving children in Britain. This isn't Africa.
Great credit to Marcus Rashford for his work.
The bottom line stops having kids if you can't afford to feed them.

I'm ashamed to say I have a Goddaughter, she is also my Neice on my ex-wife side. 22 years old and got 3 kids and just had an abortion of the 4th and says she can always have more later on!! No Dad on the scene and living off the state, so you are funding her kids. Her mother was the same proper slapper, never worked just kept knocking out little money trees including one by my ex-wife's brother hence me being her uncle technically.

This really needs sorting out, free meals aren't the answer. Sex education may help with some of them. However, it is a chosen lifestyle to many. Not all but Many

The other ridiculous thing is my Grandaughet who has just started school get free school meals ffs what's that about, she goes to a school where every parent is more than able to pay. I couldn't get my head around it when my daughter told me.
So some kids are allegedly starving and my granddaughter gets free school meals in the first year?? Which is embarrassing.

I think you have to take into consideration a lot of people are going from an income, to 80% of their income, and now to 60% or nothing.

It’s tough out there for a lot of people, and a lot of people who were already at the lower end are the ones who are suffering.

I think you have to take into consideration a lot of people are going from an income, to 80% of their income, and now to 60% or nothing.

It’s tough out there for a lot of people, and a lot of people who were already at the lower end are the ones who are suffering.

Do you have kids yet?

The thing with Brits, is that we are opportunistic. I’m no different, Wickes the other week counted my bags of cement wrong and I got a couple free - little bonus. We’ve seen it with furlough too, for every pound given in furlough money 20p was opportunistic fraud.

The problem here is that for every child who’s family genuinely needs food, there’s probably another whose family could afford it but see it as a free meal (quite literally).

I’m more than happy for my taxes to support the genuinely vulnerable and also for indirect taxes in terms of the premiums I pay for my food shop. Retailers donate a lot of food and donate to charities such as fareshare, I’ve volunteered for fareshare before through work and they do an incredible job with very low overheads as they have an army of regular volunteers. But ultimately Tesco shareholders aren’t paying for that, it’s the consumer.

I feel sorry for the poor who are borderline getting by, because they are paying for people in a similar position who don’t need to.