Marcus Edwards | Vital Football

Marcus Edwards

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Having had just six minutes on the pitch , whilst on loan at Norwich , Marcus has returned to Tottenham by mutual consent
Doesn't sound too good . Anyone know what happened there

80. I searched back through the threads to find the original one but gave up . If you want to merge both of these threads , it's probably the best thing to do

Apparently being sent back due to personal reasons?

Love this quote from Daniel Farke, Norwich's manager in January.

“There is no pressure on this signing. If it works, we can have some fun with him. If not, it is more a problem for Marcus,”

“There is no doubt with the ball he is one of our best players. But without it, he has to grow up a bit.

“That was the reason he didn’t play for Tottenham.

“They have a good squad but he is still one of the best there with the ball. He has to be more grown up in his attitude.

“We got the feeling we could take him because there is no financial risk with a loan. We have really good conditions and we can only win.”

After only playing for 6 mins, it looks like the ball is well and truly in Edwards court. If he wants the prestige of playing in the first team and the inevitable riches that come with it then he needs to learn the uglier side of the game.

Nick , we really cannot do something like that yet. He is still a young lad with lots to learn and all the time in the world to learn it , as long as Poch believes in him. If he does believe in him , Marcus couldn't be in a better place

There's also a subtle difference between putting the effort in and using your brain defensively. Take Son as an example. He doesn't engage his brain defensively until it's sometimes too late. His defensive style is to do nothing for one or two seconds and then end up sprinting back to get goal side and defend. I noticed it multiple times on Saturday against Stoke when watching him live and clearly had he been doing his job last week Rudiger wouldn't have been able to run forward 50 yards with the ball leading up to the goal. Aaron Lennon was the same although both are recognised by Spurs fans for their work-rate for the team.

Thing is, nobody would dare question Son's fitness levels or the effort he puts in for the team. I bet the amount of miles he runs for the team is also spot on. That's what Edwards needs to learn. Even if defending isn't second nature to him, he has to figure out how he can play within Poch's system where there is no place for passengers. Long gone are the days when your name is Ginola or Cantona and others did the work for you. Just ask Messi or Suarez. Absolute workaholics.

How old was Danny when he went to Sunderland? That was the making of him. Hoped Norwich might be the same for Marcus.

Agree it's too soon to write him off, some lads mature later than others, but if he thinks he's made it and has nothing to learn he won't be given many more chances.

I wonder if it is a physical issue ? He hasnt got the right stamina level to contribute ? He is being assessed in training and he obviously ain't cutting it.

Marcus Edwards could be a great project for Ryan Mason to get stuck into whilst he passes his coaching badges at the club.

Marcus Edwards could be a great project for Ryan Mason to get stuck into whilst he passes his coaching badges at the club.
that's a great shout...

If Edwards had Mason's work ethic he'd be a world beater.

With Parker also involved, and Kane to look up to, I don't know how you could get your abundant talent go to waste as a young Englisman when there's all these naturally less talented grafters around showing the old adage about hard work beating talent if talent doesn't work hard being true.

Both are great shouts ,and whilst I didn't have Ryan Mason in my thoughts at the time , exactly this was why I said young Marcus is at the right place if Poch is believing he has a chance .
I've read somewhere ,very recently, may even have been on VS, that Wenger said that the only thing a young player needs that cannot be taught , is pace.
If Edwards wants it , he clearly has the talent , then everything he needs is there for him . He is a really lucky man

Poch, Perez and Parker have had a go plus the Norwich coaches and a pre fledgling coach with no badges in going to turn him round ? Only joking I had to use the 3 Ps and I kind of mean it too.

Wait, wait, wait.....

Danny Rose has learned "the right attitude"??!!?!?!

Crickey! When the f^ck did that happen?!?

:smoke:

I never said he kept the right attitude Ha ha
But he sure did learn it for a while . Sadly he became the victim of his own ego ...........again