Maradona | Vital Football

Maradona

Putting his integrity aside, or lack of, I would say he was the most talented player since Pele. Just a humble, subjective opinion

Putting his integrity aside, or lack of, I would say he was the most talented player since Pele. Just a humble, subjective opinion
You often hear the hyperbole of - 'he won that single-handedly', but that is how the Argentina '86 World Cup win felt for me. It's like he just said to his team, get on my back, I can win this. A performance possibly only matched by Pele in '58.

Personality wise , he was a bit of a dickhead (possibly influenced by being kicked all over the place by defenders, in an era where there was much less protection from referees and the laws of the game). But at the same time his flaws made him a lot more interesting than the anodyne 'professional' money machines that have followed in his wake.

One piece of 'shithousery' aside probably the best player there has ever been. Can any other player claim to have single-handedly won a World Cup for a Nation. That was him in 1986.
Shame he couldn't control his addictions

You often hear the hyperbole of - 'he won that single-handedly', but that is how the Argentina '86 World Cup win felt for me. It's like he just said to his team, get on my back, I can win this. A performance possibly only matched by Pele in '58.

Personality wise , he was a bit of a dickhead (possibly influenced by being kicked all over the place by defenders, in an era where there was much less protection from referees and the laws of the game). But at the same time his flaws made him a lot more interesting than the anodyne 'professional' money machines that have followed in his wake.

Or possibly a bit of a dick head due to his use of Cocaine and other drugs. Genius on the pitch self destructive off it. RIP

Something often forgotten about ‘that’ game in 86, Terry Fenwick was sent out to kick fuck out of Maradona, but couldn’t get near him. So the moral indignation about the handball always rang a bit hollow for me.

The Maradona doc from last year is really good IMO if you are interested in his life - time in Napoli in particular is fascinating.

A bit like those child movie stars etc it's not hard to work out how he might have ended up with his demons. They knew he was a superstar when he was about 12

Something often forgotten about ‘that’ game in 86, Terry Fenwick was sent out to kick fuck out of Maradona, but couldn’t get near him. So the moral indignation about the handball always rang a bit hollow for me.

The main thing that surprised me about that game having watched it over lockdown was how unbelievably terrible England were. As someone who wasn't around to watch it in 86, I expected with all that indignation it to be daylight robbery. No one in the England team could pass the ball five yards, Hoddle in particular was completely awful and we seemed to struggle with the pitch... in a game where a player scored one of the greatest dribbles of all time!

Added to that we only attacked when John Barnes came on with about 15 minutes left - which was when some problems were caused. Before that it was just waiting for Argentina to score...

Last edited:
The main thing that surprised me about that game having watched it over lockdown was how unbelievably terrible England were. As someone who wasn't around to watch it in 86, I expected with all that indignation it to be daylight robbery. No one in the England team could pass the ball five yards, Hoddle in particular was completely awful and we seemed to struggle with the pitch... in a game where a player scored one of the greatest dribbles of all time!

Added to that we only attacked when John Barnes came on with about 15 minutes left - which was when some problems were caused. Before that it was just waiting for Argentina to score...

That was England for most of the 80s wasnt it?!

The Maradona doc from last year is really good IMO if you are interested in his life - time in Napoli in particular is fascinating.

A bit like those child movie stars etc it's not hard to work out how he might have ended up with his demons. They knew he was a superstar when he was about 12
I watched that, yes I agree anyone would have struggled in that environment. Especially without any support, in a slightly different way you can see George Best was similar