Maradona RIP | Page 5 | Vital Football

Maradona RIP

Utter bullshit. I've seen Maradona play, likewise Pele, likewise Cruyff and Messi many times - Leo Messi is from another world and people slag him off just because he hasn't won a WC.

Its almost impossible to compare players from different era's due to the law changes. Some of the tackles Maradona / Best had to put up with would be straight reds in the modern game. Ronaldo and Messi have far more protection than any previous generation of footballers

Well, old Diago wasn't alone when it came to handball cheating as you can see in these 2 videos.

The Henry one was blatant and shocking the ref didn't see it and the Joe Jordon one was another sly one like Maradona's but the commentary from the Scottish commentator is so one-eyed in favour of a Welsh handball it's ridiculously funny!

It would appear unfortunately that some cheats do prosper but that's life I'm afraid and whilst I won't forget Maradona and Henry cheating my 2 countries (Ireland & England)........ Personally, I have zero respect for all of them however, I do recognise how good both Maradona and Henry were as players.

Last edited:
Well, old Diago wasn't alone when it came to handball cheating as you can see in these 2 videos.

The Henry one was blatant and shocking the ref didn't see it and the Joe Jordon one was another sly one like Maradona's but the commentary from the Scottish commentator is so one-eyed in favour of a Welsh handball it's ridiculously funny!

It would appear unfortunately that some cheats do prosper but that's life I'm afraid and whilst I won't forget Maradona and Henry cheating my 2 countries (Ireland & England) personally I have zero respect for all of them nevertheless, I recognise how good both Maradona and Henry were as players.

You forgot Jay Rodrigues mate.

Ok.
I hated him. I hated him because I genuinely thought we had a chance that year of getting to the final. I hated him for all the Falklands stuff he would spout. I hated him because of things he actually had nothing to do with like the fix in 1978 to win a game 6-0. He gave me an easy figure to hate when I was really raging against Argentina the country.
I genuinely didn’t rate him the greatest but he was up there in top 3. I still marvel at what Best did as a piss head who was kicked further up in the air than he ever was, on fucking awful pitches Heavy ball etc etc.
anyway. He’s dead now so all the fuss will stop😂

Is scoring with your hand any worse than diving to win a penalty? That happens almost every week and they are both forms of cheating.
The drug thing, yes its not great but he isn't taking them to cheat and improve his performance on the pitch and some would argue its no worse than excessive alcohol. Coke is everywhere you go now, most just dont notice it. I've even seen it going on in the Holte End - no idea why you would want to take it there.
Adultery - well there are a huge number of footballers who are guilty of this, many of them who have never been caught out.
If that handball had been against anyone but England, I dont think we woud be even having this debate over him.

The common theme in all of this is that the players cheated and got away with it which is what annoys most people.

It was down to the referees and linesmen to see each incident and punish each player respectively but they didn't and they got away with it.

Unfortunately, we see now cheating in every area of the pitch and that pisses me off more than anything.

Bamford anyone? If I found myself in the same room somewhere with that cretin then I would make a quick exit for both his and my safety and fear of getting arrested.

Football is now sadly full of his kind and it's not helped by lots of managers turning a blind eye to it either.

Last edited:
Is scoring with your hand any worse than diving to win a penalty? That happens almost every week and they are both forms of cheating.
The drug thing, yes its not great but he isn't taking them to cheat and improve his performance on the pitch and some would argue its no worse than excessive alcohol. Coke is everywhere you go now, most just dont notice it. I've even seen it going on in the Holte End - no idea why you would want to take it there.
Adultery - well there are a huge number of footballers who are guilty of this, many of them who have never been caught out.
If that handball had been against anyone but England, I dont think we woud be even having this debate over him.
Apparently he was consistently coked off his tits during his Napoli days. Coke is emphatically not a performance enhancer so makes his achievements even greater IMO lol.

The biggest bugbare with most is that he cheated against us. That's it. It's bitterness.

If he'd scored the hand of god goal against France or Scotland we'd have idolised him! lol

Not that black or white though. And I don't think anyone suggests that spotless sainthood is achievable. It wasnt just one or two things with Maradona it was many things.

I'd love to see the reaction nowadays if he was playing and despite his brilliance Maradona was cheating, taking drugs, kicking other players in the head, committing adultery and having allegations of mafia corruption thrown at him.
I'm not sure so many would be so forgiving of those aspects as they seem to be now he has passed. Doesn't take alot for footballers nowadays to be hammered for lesser indiscretions.

Up to individuals opinions of course but I just can't separate his brilliance from the person he appears to have been. Comes in one for me. I don't expect sainthood but there was far to much for him.

I understand your sentiments. I also appreciate your view that for you, that you see him as a whole and judge him based on all facets of his life.

My take is different. I wouldn’t choose to judge his life and his actions by looking at what he did on the pitch, as much as I wouldn’t make judgements on his footballing achievements by pointing to things he did off the pitch. So I choose to look at those in some degree of isolation from each other, and where the actions are relevant to the appropriate part of his life we are talking about.

Doesn’t matter, it’s just opinions, there’s no absolutes.

I don't know why people still bang on about 86 and the handball either as it goes. It's one of them things, seen worse at a world cup (Bilic v Blanc). England are serial losers and love a poor us excuse.

Its the other stuff as I have listed that bugs me.

I don't know why people still bang on about 86 and the handball either as it goes. It's one of them things, seen worse at a world cup (Bilic v Blanc). England are serial losers and love a poor us excuse.

Its the other stuff as I have listed that bugs me.
The hand of god is pretty much the basis for the Neanderthal level of hatred I'm seeing on Facebook/ Twitter etc.

The fact that he had a serious addition to alcohol and drugs seems to be the motivation for others but I kind of see that more of a disease and thus it doesn't make me think badly of him.

The common theme in all of this is that the players cheated and got away with it which is what annoys most people.

It was down to the referees and linesmen to see each incident and punish each player respectively but they didn't and they got away with it.

Unfortunately, we see now cheating in every area of the pitch and that pisses me off more than anything.

Bamford anyone? If I found myself in the same room somewhere with that cretin then I would make a quick exit for both his and my safety and fear of getting arrested.

Football is now sadly full of his kind and it's not helped by lots of managers turning a blind eye to it either.

That is exactly what both Maupay and Veltman tried at the weekend. Both went down under the slightest of contact trying to get one of ours sent off. It appears to have gone unnoticed due to the penalty farce

lot of fuss for outpacing Peter Reid innit -
and Villa legend Stevie Hodge has the Maradona shirt from that game apparently.
Legend for the wrong reasons.
"Hodge played for England at World Cup 86 in Mexico, famously swapping shirts with Diego Maradona after the Argentina legend's controversial 'Hand of God' goal.
He even called his autobiography 'The Man with Maradona's Shirt'."