Maradona RIP | Page 3 | Vital Football

Maradona RIP

We can start to look at a few more of our lot if we are talking off pitch.

This was just a thread about an amazing footballer who has passed.

NO doubt you pay the price of your lifestyle, he has, but as said, I can't see how anyone can say he wasn't top class, one of if not the best ever.

We can start to look at a few more of our lot if we are talking off pitch.

This was just a thread about an amazing footballer who has passed.

NO doubt you pay the price of your lifestyle, he has, but as said, I can't see how anyone can say he wasn't top class, one of if not the best ever.

I never said that he wasn't a top class footballer, but I can't mourn his death.

Maradona was one of those rock star footballers, huge talent but surrounded by chaos. There has been a few.

I guess it's a bit like separating the art from the man, we can do it with our favourite rock bands who's shenanigans are far worse.

Today is also the anniversary of George Best's death. OK, his off field antics were farce leading to tragedy. But he was the best footballer I've ever seen play. Vision, balance, timing, speed, ball skills. Could take a ball clean through a defence as though the defenders weren't there.

I never said that he wasn't a top class footballer, but I can't mourn his death.

Can I just ask if it's only footballers you are this judgemental about or does it extend to all walks of life?

Music for instance.... I'd imagine most rock and roll icons have done their fair amount of drink and drugs, and a lot have had dubious relationships with women. John lennon admitted to hitting women. Ozzy Osborne tried to kill his wife. Could you not mourn for them?

Seems to me most geniuses in the public eye are a bit tortured. It may be that being in the public eye contributes to their addictions and behaviours.

I dunno. This is getting quite deep. I just think he was the best, and the hand of God goal is on the past and people should get over it.

Interesting debate, great footballer, absolute cheating cockhead of a ****. I honestly couldn't give a stuff he's finally pegged it - amazed it's taken so long really.

But the way the debate has gone here.

On a weekly basis we don't forgive refs for getting something wrong, but no praise when they get it right.

Vidic and Man U anyone?

And many, many more.

But on the flipside, all so called geniuses are partially unstable - whatever the trade.

It's whatever ticks our own bias boxes and in doing so, there is no right or wrong or fair or unfair. I think comparing the twats hand of fat bastard to Henry and others is an absolute joke, his revelling in it for years and then his walk back was totally weak.

Yet, whilst some pan him for the Falklands interviews- his full comments (I believe) actually addressed the sad loss of young life on all sides over effectively nothing.

Despite being ill, he put in a 10/20 minute cameo at that charity football thing on the TV (England vs Rest of World) - Socceraid is it? - about 5/6 yrs ago.

We all love Jack, he's a twat. God more than had his moments but we love him. United fans love Beckham and Giggs and others etc etc.

It's all about boxes.

And so on.

Hadn't even realised he'd played for us tbh -

decent enough I suppose despite the cheating and copious drug consumption

meh

Last edited:
No one can deny his talent . Don’t think anyone is. Im not. But rather than silly comments go back and read my post about what in my own humble opinion (for what it’s worth) I consider to be sporting greatness. And the way Maradona conducted himself off the pitch, some of the things he did on the pitch hugely affects his legacy for me. When you hear about Maradona , well apart from today because everyone is falling over themselves for a misty eyed sound bite in the media, any comment on Maradona is footnoted with a problem he had or caused. MF is correct genius‘s are often flawed in some way, some are more tolerated than others depending , but I seriously disliked the numerous flaws with this person. Assault , adultery, drug taking , corruption. Too many for a supposed role model in my humble.

Different times I accept, but do what he did on and off the pitch during his career nowadays he wouldn’t have kicked a professional football again.

Never saw him in the flesh but undoubtedly one of the great players of all time. Still obviously pissed off about the handball but I've always blamed Shilton more, how the hell did he get out jumped by a midget?

He played in an era where he had virtually no protection. I saw a 2 videos of his time at Barcelona recently, one was him getting his ankle broken by a Bilbao player who gained the moniker "the butcher of Bilbao" from the challenge. The guy apparently keeps the boot that broke Maradonas ankle in a glass display case on his fireplace. The second video was the next time Barcelona played bilbao after Maradona had returned from his broken ankle in which Maradona instigated a full on riot involving every player on both sides featuring Kung Fu kicks and wild punches everywhere.

These days the worst Messi would have to deal with is the odd mistimed lunge which would be immediately punished by a straight red. Any talk of Messi or Ronaldo being talked up as the greatest ever doesn't wash with me as the game has basically been reshaped to allow them free reign.
Utter bullshit. I've seen Maradona play, likewise Pele, likewise Cruyff and Messi many times - Leo Messi is from another world and people slag him off just because he hasn't won a WC.

The greatest ever in my book.

If he played today with the protection afforded to Messi et al he would be completely untouchable.

Gotta forgive and forgot with the handball I think. Thierry Henry did it against Ireland and doesn't get reminded of it every time his name is mentioned.

Facts are if Jack Grealish scores with his hand to win England the World Cup I wouldn't care one bit!

Maradona was a genius. A magician. A character.

Oh and we share a birthday. Legend!
Jesus Christ

Messi not Maradona's level, just not the same leader. Messi bottled the world cup in 2014, Maradona was dragging Argentina to victory. What Maradona did at Napoli is something Messi could never do.
Unbelievable - completely unbelievable, I suppose you think that ponce is a better as well - each to his won

Last edited: