Maradona RIP | Page 2 | Vital Football

Maradona RIP

Not for me Jeff.

Old enough to have watched him.

For me sporting greatness transcends what you do on the pitch, track, court etc.

And for that the cheating, drug taking, corrupt, adulterous , violent Maradona holds no place in my consideration as a great of the game.

Why the fuck he gets any sympathy I don't know fucking horrible bloke, boils my piss when people call him a great player and compare him to Pele.
Not for me Jeff either

The reason the press etc were so quick with a full obituary was that they had already written it ages ago such was his lifestyle.

It was only a question of time before he kicked his last ball and I'm glad it's not just me who couldn't give a shit about him.

I'm watching Spanish TV at the moment and his death with videos etc is on most channels. It's like the Pope had died:slap:

Time to put a film on me-thinks.

Are they showing the beautiful skill he displayed on the pitch drop kicking someone in the head and knocking them out cold.

Classy.

The greatest ever in my book.

If he played today with the protection afforded to Messi et al he would be completely untouchable.

Gotta forgive and forgot with the handball I think. Thierry Henry did it against Ireland and doesn't get reminded of it every time his name is mentioned.

Facts are if Jack Grealish scores with his hand to win England the World Cup I wouldn't care one bit!

Maradona was a genius. A magician. A character.

Oh and we share a birthday. Legend!

I can't see how anyone can deny he was a giant in the game, the ball stuck to his feet, he was a magician.

The off field stuff, yes, but then plenty of footballers you could talk about that, including a few of our own.

It actually amuses me that 34 years on some English fans still hold such a grudge.

Especially in this day and age when you'll see footballers cheating to gain an advantage 50 times in every match you watch.

I don't blame Maradona. I bet when he did it there's no way he believed he'd get away with it. I actually blame the ref and linesman more the incompetent fools!

How many players over the years have you seen save the ball with their hands with the keeper beat? Professionally fouls a player through on goal to stop a certain goal.? Cheat to win a penalty? Cheat t o get someone sent off? Score illegal goals?

Shit happens.

Bloody snowflakes need to get over it.

It was the ref's fault. Everyone else in the world saw it.

What I didn't like is he always said after it wasn't cheating, of course it was!

Had this discussion in this forum a few times though, hand on heart, if we won the world up on a penalty because one of our players blatantly cheated/dived (not the ones where it is a close call, the real blatant bullshit we keep seeing) then nah, not for me, I'd rather we lose.

But the ref can't have not seen the handball, or at least the linesmen, it looked corrupt to me.

BUT that isn't the whole life of football for him. You don't have to like any player to recognise how fanastic they are, and the flipside, some are lovely people, they are just average footballers.

Maradona is top tier with Cruyff, Pele, Best, Ronaldo, Messi

Messi to me will always be better than Maradona.

I love Messi. Him and a Ronaldo are the greatest players of the modern era by far.

But stick him in that Napoli or Argentina team of the 80s he'd have been broken in half.

Vice versa, put Maradona in the modern Barca team with the protection Messi gets from referees and he'd have been even better than Messi in my opinion.

Messi isn't an alcoholic, druggie or woman beater which puts him way ahead of Maradona in my books.

Messi has always had the team built around him.

Maradona did wonders at an unfancied club

Also with Ronaldo, he's tested himself in different leagues/different clubs.

To be fair, they are all fantastic.