MApp paper talk | Page 3 | Vital Football

MApp paper talk

Would expect Appleton to be less financially motivated in his decision making towards a move to a current Championship relegation contender than the Cowleys would have been. Within that I’m assuming that he’s probably been pretty well compensated relative to the Cowleys for many years and as such won’t be drawn as much by a bigger contract.

I don't understand the negative reaction. Is there some history there that I'm unaware of, or is this another "big" club that thinks they need a big name manager? Appleton has a good record with Oxford and us, plays football that is very easy on the eye (always the gripe with the Cowleys for potential suitors) and has taken "little Lincoln" to the top of the league on what must be a mid-table budget.
Only Mr Evans knows our budget mate 😉

We could easily swap places with them in a few weeks.
Plenty of out of work managers available, Howe and Cook etc.

We could easily swap places with them in a few weeks.
Plenty of out of work managers available, Howe and Cook etc.
Nice work if you can get it. Sign on for a struggling Club on a nice fat wage and signing on fee, talk a 'good game', fail after a few months, sacked, get big pay off linked to contract, then go around the circle again after making a few million. Good career !

Nice work if you can get it. Sign on for a struggling Club on a nice fat wage and signing on fee, talk a 'good game', fail after a few months, sacked, get big pay off linked to contract, then go around the circle again after making a few million. Good career !
I give the current Sunderland manager!

I’d only be worried about Bristol if they hired an interim manager as I would have thought Appleton would want to see out the season with us and then evaluate depending on position, budgets etc.

Mrs Appleton might have a big say here, they have a new baby and live in Salford I believe? Would probably mean moving for a job that might not last long knowing how trigger happy championship owners is it worth the upheaval?

Nothing would surprise any of us in the moral vaccum which is football, but given that he recently convinced Jorge Grant to sign a new contract, on the basis that Jorge had moved about too much in his career, I'd find that highly amusing. I'd laugh until I stopped.

He should, of course, look after his career and when the "ideal" job comes up he should take it, but it's a rare thing these days for someone to be like Wenger and honour their contract regardless. On the other hand Wenger could afford to.

I also permit myself a wry smile that our current manager is more of a favourite for this job than our previous one. O fortune, fortune, all men call thee fickle!

If anyone wonders what Bristol City's fans might make of it all, take a couple of minutes to read this....
https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211038-michael-appleton-up-next/
The usual combination of views.
Indignant dicks that believe they are too big for a manager below their current level.
Rational standpoints of why would he leave a team that could potentially change places with us in the coming weeks.
Plenty in the middle, and a splash of gallows humour.

Mrs Appleton might have a big say here, they have a new baby and live in Salford I believe? Would probably mean moving for a job that might not last long knowing how trigger happy championship owners is it worth the upheaval?

I’m pretty sure they are based in Lincoln

I doubt he will be going anywhere anytime soon. Past experiences may have something to do with that, not sure. He is currently at a good club, with good people and top of the table with players plucked from nowhere.
Clubs will want him especially for his brand of football and recognised coaching ability. That is the model clubs want now I suspect in these times, galvanising a team that doesn’t cost too much to put together.

That said, I for one will be more than devastated if he leaves, I think he is a top fella from what I have witnessed both on and off the pitch. The brand / style of football is what I like to see. No spoiling tactics just getting on and letting the football do the talking. Top of League 1, you can’t get better than that and all down to MApp and his footballing philosophy.

I seem to recall a negative reaction on here initially, when linked here to replace Cowley. For some reason, supporters seem think of Appleton career as Blackpool, Portsmouth and Blackburn only - disregarding the magnificent job at Oxford now here at Lincoln. Added to the fact the football has been fantastic to watch.

Personally believe MAPP deserves the recognition, however lessons learnt leaving Oxford early in reality was a mistake. He needs to another few years of being a first team manager under his belt at a stable club in my opinion, which is obviously biased.

I seem to recall a negative reaction on here initially, when linked here to replace Cowley. For some reason, supporters seem think of Appleton career as Blackpool, Portsmouth and Blackburn only - disregarding the magnificent job at Oxford now here at Lincoln. Added to the fact the football has been fantastic to watch.

Personally believe MAPP deserves the recognition, however lessons learnt leaving Oxford early in reality was a mistake. He needs to another few years of being a first team manager under his belt at a stable club in my opinion, which is obviously biased.
Not from me, thought he was a great appointment at the time.
People were calling for his head about a year ago, especially after the Accrington defeat.
Agree with everything you say, we've offered him a big chance to prove Oxford wasn't a fluke and it's going great.
Unlike the Cowleys this project has only just started, both parties when the Cowleys left were ready for a new beginning, not sure either party now.

both parties when the Cowleys left were ready for a new beginning, not sure either party now.

I'm not sure that's true is it? Not amongst fans at the time, surely?

It probably was regarding the club's management. There was that podcast Appleton did with an Oxford supporter prior to the start of this season when he probably gave away a little more than was diplomatic.

I'm not sure that's true is it? Not amongst fans at the time, surely?

It probably was regarding the club's management. There was that podcast Appleton did with an Oxford supporter prior to the start of this season when he probably gave away a little more than was diplomatic.
I meant the Cowleys and the club, definitely not the fans

"I seem to recall a negative reaction on here initially, when linked here to replace Cowley."

Definitely. I was one, and that carried through the rest of last season. I just did not see anything that showed me that the team and MA's playing style could be where they are today.

I saw small signs I was wrong in the pre-season games, and then had to admit to myself I was an idiot to doubt Clive's and Jez's choice after about three games of the new season!

Jeez, the replies to that tweet. Bristol City fans, with one exception, seem like utter morons. Anyway, it looks like the fans don't want him but I really can't fathom why.

Edit to add: Twitter really is a cesspool.