MApp paper talk | Page 2 | Vital Football

MApp paper talk

I'm not surprised to see Appleton being rumoured for jobs given how he's doing at the moment but at the moment he's really only got a few months at the top of the league to his credit. I think you need titles/promotions etc in the bag before teams in higher leagues start considering you seriously. And if he does eventually get poached then we'll be in a very good position compared to where he started (similar to with the Cowleys).

I think Bristol city have aĺso.got s good academy which ticks the box for ma and dc however eddie howe would suit them

Here we go again...! Send Makepeace to ask the questions re: Are you interested in such and such job?

I would be surprised to see ma even look at going he seems to be focussed with the job in hand . I think hes very committed to taking Lincoln into the championship either this year or next. Hopefully he will stay 5yrs plus and not only build a good squad but also bring the young players on to first team football

If he goes he goes we can’t/shouldn’t hold back his progress.

I want him to stay to finish the job but unfair to stand in the way plus we should get big compo!

And how much is MA worth?
A million for the Cowleys taking us to top of League2.
So a load more for a manager who takes us to top of League1 you would think?
And then a hugely big amount more for the next manager who'll take us to the top of the Championship.
And then PSG will need to pay us £100 million for the one who gets us to top of Premier League 😁

Nothing would surprise any of us in the moral vaccum which is football, but given that he recently convinced Jorge Grant to sign a new contract, on the basis that Jorge had moved about too much in his career, I'd find that highly amusing. I'd laugh until I stopped.

He should, of course, look after his career and when the "ideal" job comes up he should take it, but it's a rare thing these days for someone to be like Wenger and honour their contract regardless. On the other hand Wenger could afford to.

I also permit myself a wry smile that our current manager is more of a favourite for this job than our previous one. O fortune, fortune, all men call thee fickle!

If anyone wonders what Bristol City's fans might make of it all, take a couple of minutes to read this....
https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211038-michael-appleton-up-next/

I’d be very surprised if he were to go right now.

I, like many others have picked up on, Appleton’s comments regarding his “3 and a half year contract” at Lincoln, and I think the Appleton we see is a very thoughtful, methodical man, shaped by his past experiences/ errors.

I’ve said before, he is the true meaning of “not getting too high when we win, or too low when we lose” without ever having to say so. I don’t think he makes emotional decisions.

It may not be to everyone’s taste, but I wouldn’t be shocked for Appleton to finish the job he has started here, reach the end of his contract, tell Clive he’s leaving, pop up a few months later as a Premiership assistant/ coach, biding his time for the right job, working for the right people, but with his legacy at Lincoln being firmly on his resume.

Nothing would surprise any of us in the moral vaccum which is football, but given that he recently convinced Jorge Grant to sign a new contract, on the basis that Jorge had moved about too much in his career, I'd find that highly amusing. I'd laugh until I stopped.

He should, of course, look after his career and when the "ideal" job comes up he should take it, but it's a rare thing these days for someone to be like Wenger and honour their contract regardless. On the other hand Wenger could afford to.

I also permit myself a wry smile that our current manager is more of a favourite for this job than our previous one. O fortune, fortune, all men call thee fickle!

If anyone wonders what Bristol City's fans might make of it all, take a couple of minutes to read this....

Some comments are funny, others despairing, there is clearly a toxic atmosphere at Bristol City.

- "No thanks, I'd rather have my old headmaster Fred Appleton from Hanham High in charge, and that was 35 years ago....."
- "We ain't digging him up mate"
- "Can't we get Natalie and Nicola Appleton from All Saints?"
- Why the heck would he leave a team that's on its way out of L1 for one that's hurtling into it???

Well worth a read.

I don't understand the negative reaction. Is there some history there that I'm unaware of, or is this another "big" club that thinks they need a big name manager? Appleton has a good record with Oxford and us, plays football that is very easy on the eye (always the gripe with the Cowleys for potential suitors) and has taken "little Lincoln" to the top of the league on what must be a mid-table budget.