MApp paper talk | Page 5 | Vital Football

MApp paper talk

Having already done so with FFP I really hesitate to bring up how they deal with these things in Spain - it not really being a country that is the model of propiety - but there it is not possible for anyone to coach two teams in the same season.

This is rather unfair on those who are sacked four games into the campaign, though they have to have their contract paid in full, however it does stop managers being poached until the current season has finished.

Any club which wants to sack its coach (and there are loads of those) must replace him with someone who hasn't managed another team, domestically, this season.

That certainly stops the unsettling influence of speculation which has now taken place this season and last.

Much more likely to leave if we do go up imo. He knows promotion here is very achievable and will sit nicely on his cv so can't see it in his long term interests to go. Realistically, a Championship season for us will be a big struggle against monied clubs,thats when his head could be turned, much as Danny's was when we started the season after promotion to the 1st. Inevitable he will go sometime, imperative we enjoy the ride while we can, things change so quickly.

I think appelton is incredible and I hope to god he stays but I'm much less worried about these rumours coming up than when it did with cowley. We have a clear structure and model in place and it is in full swing. There is a committee meeting regularly so we have managers lined up if the worst happens instead of a knee jerk hail Mary to a Peter Jackson or (shakes with anger) Steve tilson.

I trust the board and JG to find the right replacement, when/if we eventually lose appelton, to continue his incredible work.

To reiterate though I hope he stays as he deserves to see out something that could be an incredible achievement!

I think ma sees Lincoln as a big challenge especially if we go up which in itself would be a remarkable effort. If we went up i would guess our budget would be small compared to others. ( no complaints from me there) That would be a huge challenge for Ma and his backroom staff and to be perfectly honest i think hes the type ofguy who would embrace it.

Video up as well, certainly not the snappy responses that Danny was giving at the end.
I'd be worried once the season is over not now, especially as is likely the West Brom job becomes available.

Last edited:
Thanks to those who replied to my post. I think it is just that at the moment, I still can't believe we are top of the league, and I, from over 40 years supporting the Imps just know something is going to put the Kybosh on things.
I will never forget the feeling travelling back on a coach with bricked out windows, after our draw at Fulham. A season that promised so much.
IF we can do this with MApp still at the helm, and manage to go up. Then I will accept him going then, be among the happiest fans on the planet, and know that the next manager will have to be even better to keep us in the Championship. I've lived with all the highs and lows of being a Lincoln fan as I say for over 40 years, so you expect to have the kick in the balls come any time now. Lets hope not, whatever happens, being a Lincoln fan sure is hard work :oops::love:

I seem to recall a negative reaction on here initially, when linked here to replace Cowley. For some reason, supporters seem think of Appleton career as Blackpool, Portsmouth and Blackburn only - disregarding the magnificent job at Oxford now here at Lincoln. Added to the fact the football has been fantastic to watch.

Personally believe MAPP deserves the recognition, however lessons learnt leaving Oxford early in reality was a mistake. He needs to another few years of being a first team manager under his belt at a stable club in my opinion, which is obviously biased.
Tbf, I don't think it was a mistake per se. There was a change in ownership at Oxford IIRC and the new people wanted to go a slightly different way with recruitment and have more of a say in it.

When MA left, they finished lower mid-table for two seasons in a row and had a bit of a mare. They then tried to right the wrong and brought Robinson in and gone back to a very similar MA way (MA still regarded higher than Robinson down there).

But we haven’t achieved anything yet and are on the cusp. Why would he leave now (don’t answer that - nothing surprises me in football). If MA left I would be equally concerned if Jez George and the backroom staff that do the recruitment left - that would really put the nail in the coffin.
I think we all thought the same when DC left but everyone remained here initially. No-one followed him (Warrington back to Rotherham, McCombe is presumably somewhere).

Having already done so with FFP I really hesitate to bring up how they deal with these things in Spain - it not really being a country that is the model of propiety - but there it is not possible for anyone to coach two teams in the same season.

This is rather unfair on those who are sacked four games into the campaign, though they have to have their contract paid in full, however it does stop managers being poached until the current season has finished.

Any club which wants to sack its coach (and there are loads of those) must replace him with someone who hasn't managed another team, domestically, this season.

That certainly stops the unsettling influence of speculation which has now taken place this season and last.

Never knew they did that in Spain Thanks for that info

That's one of the worst Twitter feeds you're likely to come across.

In 25 minutes, Darrell Clarke went from being appointed at Bristol Rovers to then Northampton and Port Vale (presumably not at the same time like it was worded).
That's the site that regularly linked us with that lad Coventry who's now Portsmouth.

Thanks to those who replied to my post. I think it is just that at the moment, I still can't believe we are top of the league, and I, from over 40 years supporting the Imps just know something is going to put the Kybosh on things.
I will never forget the feeling travelling back on a coach with bricked out windows, after our draw at Fulham. A season that promised so much.
IF we can do this with MApp still at the helm, and manage to go up. Then I will accept him going then, be among the happiest fans on the planet, and know that the next manager will have to be even better to keep us in the Championship. I've lived with all the highs and lows of being a Lincoln fan as I say for over 40 years, so you expect to have the kick in the balls come any time now. Lets hope not, whatever happens, being a Lincoln fan sure is hard work :oops::love:

100% agree with this sentiment. Think it sums up a Lincoln fan perfectly. 😁

This is a bit like a football fans version of 1st world problems.
You can either be tootling along in the bottom half of the table not worried that someone will come in for Reg Holdsworth, or be successful and worry every time a job becomes vacant.

Or you can not worry much at all. I got worried with the early DC rumours and pretty soon after that just decided not to worry about this stuff because as it turns out most if it comes to nothing, until it doesn't at some point.

Or you can not worry much at all. I got worried with the early DC rumours and pretty soon after that just decided not to worry about this stuff because as it turns out most if it comes to nothing, until it doesn't at some point.

And then we get £1 million and the strategy of developing and selling managers is successful again.

From the Bristol Post online fans questions yesterday with Robins writer Gregor McGregor:
"Michelle Owen’s [another BCFC correspondent] podcast has said the club only want to speak to a couple of head coaches, any idea who these people are?"​
Gregor's answer....
"No idea currently. If I did I'd report it. One for Michelle Owen. What I can add is that I did some digging on Michael Appleton earlier today and the chances of that happening were played down."​