Man's best friend | Page 79 | Vital Football

Man's best friend

A bit unexpected, but I was paid a compliment today over what should be the most basic thing a dog owner does on the streets.

Lovely old chap, seen him a few times on the walks, but only ever exchanged pleasantries. He stopped today whilst I was conducting clean up duty to simply thank me for continuing to pick up their poop as he'd seen me do it before, and it disgusts him when others around here don't.

5/10 minutes later I'd learnt his annoyance came from his grandkid getting covered a few years back as she ran through grass, there was a lovely Irish lilt I'd never noticed before to his voice but it came out the more he spoke, and he was even more disgusted with those who picked the poop up, but then left the bag on the floor instead of putting it in the bin as he found that truly lazy and even more pointless.

I was in full agreement obviously, but it was one of the most bizarre and unexpected dog walk chats I've had in a while lol

But it made me smile and brightened my day, and he walked away with a smile on his face as well, and I fully expect he may now be another new 10 min chat I have on occasions when we pass in the future.

The thing I find daft now, with the eldest heading towards 15 and mobility issues rising, I have pared the walks back a little in terms of distance but tried to balance it by letting the youngest trot around more, when the eldest is taking a small breather. ie they haven't been on the same lead now for ages, two separate extended ones so one can go slower whilst the other does their own thing.

The walks now take longer lol

When it's right Trek, you'll know. It'll probably still feel too soon, but you'll get that click and pull that basically gives you no choice but to act.

That's how it was for me at any rate.

The Dog's Trust (frustratingly as they shouldn't have been there) had 5-7 I'd have happily had with more time, but as I've said before, we then hit these two and although the missus had been looking for a good while and I couldn't get over the 'not yet' line - I folded in the moment and jumped to justifying why I had to have them in my own head, even though I was saying we couldn't have two out loud.

Bizarre but the click was right, I knew it and I just had to play a stupid game to accept it.

You'll get your click mate, and it'll just be a new journey and new memories that remind you of old ones. But in the process another doggie gets the benefit of everything you can lovingly offer and will have a great life.