Mandron & Godden | Page 3 | Vital Football

Mandron & Godden

You do have to admire the posh ability to buy cheap sell high. They have been like a yo-yo up and down but they must be net positive on transfers.

is it more and more evident that we need to find the player that is about to become a twenty goal striker. not one that is already established.
no use trying to sign stevenage's jewel in the crown. too expensive, and still a risk.
ideally we sign the next marriott who has just scored 8 in the league, but cowley believes is ready to score 25 for us next season. hopefully this is where the research and homework has been carried out.

Question to ask is....... how much are we investing in the scouting network,is it a pony,or a monkey whatever it is it`s not enough.

eg see Coventry city trawling non league in London and achieving gold nuggets down there for peanuts(recent Dulwich lad) plus jodi jones from Daggers..........like taking candy from a baby?
The way forward is developed scouting and a firm eyeball on non league.

Question to ask is....... how much are we investing in the scouting network,is it a pony,or a monkey whatever it is it`s not enough.

eg see Coventry city trawling non league in London and achieving gold nuggets down there for peanuts(recent Dulwich lad) plus jodi jones from Daggers..........like taking candy from a baby?
or we might redo the robinson, adam marriott, eardley approach and look to rehab a player, that if fully fit would be outside our price bracket

or we might redo the robinson, adam marriott, eardley approach and look to rehab a player, that if fully fit would be outside our price bracket

Agreed, if DC& co don't add to that list of names this summer it won't be for lack of trying, and their track record in that respect must make us an even more attractive proposition.

Now, where's that 'knackered footballers who need the Cowleys' Marvellous Medicine' thread? They'd get Jack Wilshire sorted.......

It's an interesting point with our scouting team. Do we have one? The club site lists Dean West as head scout only but I thought he was with the youth team alongside Froggatt so is possibly trying to get new youth players only.

We know that the Cowley's spend a lot of time looking at players themselves but is there anyone else out there trying to unearth a hidden gem?

You do have to admire the posh ability to buy cheap sell high. They have been like a yo-yo up and down but they must be net positive on transfers.
When they get it right, they get it right but they've had tonnes of duff signings down the years.

It's an interesting point with our scouting team. Do we have one? The club site lists Dean West as head scout only but I thought he was with the youth team alongside Froggatt so is possibly trying to get new youth players only.

Dean West is a scout for the club now. He left his role with the youth team to take up the scouting duties.

His lad Charlie West plays for the youth team.

Do you mean like signing players from Boreham Wood?

Do you mean like signing players from Boreham Wood?

YES ,non league is like shopping at Lidl,you go there with a list of objectives(players),fill your boots on the cheap(bargain players) and on the way out you still have change to buy again tomorrow.(jan window)

There are few bargains at NL level anymore. That stopped about 10-12 years ago, not long after KA picked up Boyd, McLean and CMS for about £300k all in.

There are few bargains at NL level anymore. That stopped about 10-12 years ago, not long after KA picked up Boyd, McLean and CMS for about £300k all in.

I'm not so sure. We did alright with the likes of Woodyard and Raggett...i'm sure there are others out there. With the average managerial reign being so short i guess a lot will be looking to bring in experienced players for the here and now...so i think there is still a plentiful lake that could be fished.

I'm not so sure. We did alright with the likes of Woodyard and Raggett...i'm sure there are others out there. With the average managerial reign being so short i guess a lot will be looking to bring in experienced players for the here and now...so i think there is still a plentiful lake that could be fished.
i agree with this. and i don't think there is any difference in bargain signings between the levels. efl, national league, and each level below are all the same... some bargains. some huge over-spends. players going upwards, players going downwards.

whether the signings are bargains or not is down to the management/scouting, the usefulness of the player once signed, and how they are then developed once they are signed. ideally you get a management team that can identify the players needed, spot talent, spot a good deal - and not be blinded by the level they play at.

accrington signed 4 national league players last season. they don't really do lavish. hylton, eisa, danny newton, doidge have all played at national league level or below.

hopefully we can add andrade to our list of nl bargains.

It is quite the situation lower-league managers face:

* Pay over the odds for proven players with high wage and long contract demands
* Play the loan market, which may work out but offers no stability beyond six months
* Dig out non-league gems who will probably only sign with add-ons and release clauses, meaning they can leave if successful
* Hunt for free transfers who will inflate wages / signing bonus due to lack of a fee
* Prepare for the yearly churn as some of your best players move to other clubs
* Keep other squad members happy.

I'd say all of these things have affected Lincoln in some way over the last year. Just keeping a team coherent is a very difficult task.

I know, I did say few rather than none.

But I'd agree r.e. managerial reign. Safer to bring in for the here and now for most managers.