Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup Semi Final | Page 10 | Vital Football

Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny how the slow learning Poch was the best we'd seen in decades, a few weeks ago, and now his head is on the chopping block.
He is in fact his own worst enemy, for so many reasons. He is a very so learner...we all know that, but also slow at reading the game, performing due diligence etc. He should've been prepared for UTD parking the bus and have a cunning plan to unlock their defense. His reluctance to find an real no. 9 in addition to HK has bitten Poch fairly on the arse. Playing an unfit, out of form striker in one of our most important games of the season was key to our loss. Not reacting to Dembele's poor form on or before half time was also costly.

Should Poch go? If scraping into top 4 every year and getting bombed out of every Cup we qualify is your thing, then no way. He's as Spursy as they get!

Dier & Alli lol. What did Dier do to get in the best 11, don't tell me he hit the post lol.. As for Alli oh yeah he scored, well the game lasts for 90+ mins not one.

Richmond , we definitely watch two different games , we have had this conversation before. I'm not sure what it is you glean from our matches or from watching our players , unless you are on a massive wind up. I just don't understand why you feel the need to berate a tiny element of the team constantly . Surely you saw the whole 90+ minutes and the contribution of the two players .

I really can't believe some of the comments I read. Spurs are in a better place now than they have been for decades. Yesterday's result doesn't change that. It's because of 'The Gaffer' we can compete so well.

Our squad isn't as good as people think. It's certainly better than in the past. But what it lacks is a few players with that 'special something'. The player that will dig you out when not playing well. Poch can't be blamed for that. Spurs punch way above their financial weight! That's because of Poch!

Think about the ridiculous money Man Utd spend - transfers & wages. They should beat us, at this point. We shouldn't be surprised.

I have complete confidence that our trajectory is upwards. Success in the sense of silverware will come. In the meantime, enjoy the success we have now. Success doesn't have to mean trophies. Success has to be measured against what is realistic. We're ever so successful when looking at things realistically.

All my opinion of course. But one of a contented Spurs supporter.

The key is to enjoy football, but then walk away and get on with life after the match ends.

Just some thoughts on things.

Regards to all (y)

Well said , it's great to see someone with a sense of realism . Alongside a FEW others on here .

I'm as hurt as anyone on here about yesterday but to talk about replacing Poch is ridiculous and knee jerk. So we sack him,Kane,Ericksen,Delli and god knows who else will leave,we get a new manager in, working under the same financial constraints, and we are back to square one another 3 seasons rebuilding, Poch is a young manager and has done wonders for us in the time he's been here,it's frustrating at times but what about the wonderful football we have seen over the last few seasons,how long did it take Fergie to get it right at Utd.???

You couldn't make it up, could you , although a lot on here obviously do. When and if ,,we can pay a cheat 600,000 pounds a week , then I would agree that the kind of vitriol I read on here could be justified

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea how Valencia stayed the pitch on Saturday . His tackle alone on Alli should have been a red card, how Anthony Taylor only saw it as a yellow defies belief . As this was a cup game , wasn't VAR being used? Commentators said it was a yellow and a half ! Wattalottabollox !
Then in the second half , he gets in trouble in the corner , being hassled by Eriksen I think , so he takes an absolute outrageous dive whilst looking at the ref ,gets nothing for it , not even a couple of points for artistic merit, Eriksen nicks the ball and tries to get away so he dives at him again , grabs his shirt and pulls him down . How is any of that not worthy of a second yellow. Then the poor mite goes down with agonising cramp . Harry was going mad at the ref , not without justification .

Walthamstow - there is no excusing the referees this season. Valencia needed to be treated correctly in all 3 of our Utd games and a lot more against other teams that I've watched. Just ask Son and Dele who have felt his studs up on a few occasions. It's obvious to me that there is an unwritten guideline by the football authorities to keep 22 players on the pitch regardless of what they do. Valencia has only received 7 league yellows plus Saturday's cup yellow.

It's now up to the Spurs fans to give him the same treatment as Charlie Adam gets. It's up to our players to stay down and get him booked in every future game.

Anyone got any idea how Valencia stayed the pitch on Saturday . His tackle alone on Alli should have been a red card, how Anthony Taylor only saw it as a yellow defies belief . As this was a cup game , wasn't VAR being used? Commentators said it was a yellow and a half ! Wattalottabollox !
Then in the second half , he gets in trouble in the corner , being hassled by Eriksen I think , so he takes an absolute outrageous dive whilst looking at the ref ,gets nothing for it , not even a couple of points for artistic merit, Eriksen nicks the ball and tries to get away so he dives at him again , grabs his shirt and pulls him down . How is any of that not worthy of a second yellow. Then the poor mite goes down with agonising cramp . Harry was going mad at the ref , not without justification .

Yep , you just reminded me of that , I was astonished Valencia didn't get a second yellow, then remembered who we were playing and that it was a semi final so that explained that then !

As pulling an opponent back by the shirt is supposed to be an automatic you could ask the same question about Herrera who gave away at least 4 free kicks for the same offence, not to mention other fouls. However, none of that was the reason we lost. Simply put we just were not good enough after the first 20 minutes.

Was VAR being used in this game? I thought I saw Taylor trying to clarify a throw in decision , of all things ! , at one point in the first half . There is no way Valencia should have been on the pitch up to the point he was substituted.think it's the first time a player deserved to get sent off TWICE in a match.
I agree with Muttley that he should be branded with the same iron as Adam at Stoke .
How many times ,even this season have we seen him tackling opponents with his boots around their throat while they are standing up. He is a thug that does not deserve to grace the premier league

VAR was used and as such I think Taylor handled it very well. He was in charge. He missed a few fouls but that is normal.

He wasn't in charge in the "Valencia Incidents" 80 . The tackle , the dive, the shirt pull were all outrageous. He didn't think there was a foul when Valencia threw himself to the floor , like a sack of the proverbial, he did think it was a foul when he brought Eriksen down . How did he think he tackled him

" The Valencia Incidents"
Sounds like a good film to me . Full of gripping stuff . Ha ha

Probably because there is nothing to say when you are winning. The victories are enough.

Knee jerk reaction over 20 years? Wrong phrase Ex. Knee jerk is when you react to something that has happened suddenly. We have had this for decades.
Well said , it's great to see someone with a sense of realism . Alongside a FEW others on here .
HE CAN NOT COMPLAIN OF LACK OF PLAYERS HE HAS BLOWN UP MANY TIMES

There is no way Levy wants a losing inaugural season at the new stadium. And there is no way he wants to risk being out of the CL spots from now on with the new stadium debt hanging around the club's shoulders.

We will progress.
More likely that he is thinking....by selling Toby and Rose, he would hv 50 to 80m to pay stadium debt next 2 years. Then he and Joe can pocket the regular profit. Then in 2019, probably Eriksen wont renew and can get 100m or so for him and pay another 2 years or so of stadium and he and Joe pockets the regular operating profit. Then comes Kane in 2020 and he gets 150m and that will pay a very good part of stadium.
He has it all 'traded' out.
Alli another 50 to 80m around 2020 too...

I really can't believe some of the comments I read. Spurs are in a better place now than they have been for decades. Yesterday's result doesn't change that. It's because of 'The Gaffer' we can compete so well.

Our squad isn't as good as people think. It's certainly better than in the past. But what it lacks is a few players with that 'special something'. The player that will dig you out when not playing well. Poch can't be blamed for that. Spurs punch way above their financial weight! That's because of Poch!

Think about the ridiculous money Man Utd spend - transfers & wages. They should beat us, at this point. We shouldn't be surprised.

I have complete confidence that our trajectory is upwards. Success in the sense of silverware will come. In the meantime, enjoy the success we have now. Success doesn't have to mean trophies. Success has to be measured against what is realistic. We're ever so successful when looking at things realistically.

The key is to enjoy football, but then walk away and get on with life after the match ends.

Regards to all (y)
Nothing wrong whatsoever with your view. As i hv said, it is a matter of what each of us wants to see Spurs achieve.
Compared to the wilderness years of mid 199x to 2000s, we r definitely much better now.
However, for me, considering Leicester won the League with a very limited squad, it was a big big opportunity missed. All of us dont hv so many 'another 50 yrs' to see Spurs win title.

Regards to all (y)

Player(s) with that 'special something' should already be here if we had made more prudent choices when we had the money from the sale of Bale. £90m received and only Eriksen @ £11m has proven himself good enough to make a difference.

Nothing wrong whatsoever with your view. As i hv said, it is a matter of what each of us wants to see Spurs achieve.
Compared to the wilderness years of mid 199x to 2000s, we r definitely much better now.
However, for me, considering Leicester won the League with a very limited squad, it was a big big opportunity missed. All of us dont hv so many 'another 50 yrs' to see Spurs win title.
I appreciate that (y) Unfortunately the Leicester situation was unique. We weren't ready for a title challenge. None of us were expecting one. There were two major elements in their squad we didn't, & still don't really have. (1)A special player who can change a game or score a goal out of nothing(Mahrez) and (2)a rock solid defence, with a dominating defensive midfielder(Kante). The amount of 1-0 wins they had was scary! Leicester were just fortunate that those element came together during the perfect season when the big clubs were in transition.
On (1): Don't get me wrong. We do have some very special players. But just not quite at the level the biggest clubs can have on the bench, let alone starting!
And on (2): We had a great defence that year as well. But not as good as theirs.
Player(s) with that 'special something' should already be here if we had made more prudent choices when we had the money from the sale of Bale. £90m received and only Eriksen @ £11m has proven himself good enough to make a difference.
But that's way in the past. That can't be a stick to beat Poch with. He's getting the best out of what we have, while trying to work on the mentality issues in the club.

The 8 semi-final defeats in a row demonstrates a long-standing problem. The manager who should be most ashamed of that record is Harry Redknapp. With that superb squad he had, getting beat by relegated Portsmouth in the semi-final, and then getting thrashed by Chelsea in the next one, yep, those were embarrassing! :shake:

I appreciate that (y) Unfortunately the Leicester situation was unique. We weren't ready for a title challenge. None of us were expecting one. There were two major elements in their squad we didn't, & still don't really have. (1)A special player who can change a game or score a goal out of nothing(Mahrez) and (2)a rock solid defence, with a dominating defensive midfielder(Kante). The amount of 1-0 wins they had was scary! Leicester were just fortunate that those element came together during the perfect season when the big clubs were in transition.
On (1): Don't get me wrong. We do have some very special players. But just not quite at the level the biggest clubs can have on the bench, let alone starting!
And on (2): We had a great defence that year as well. But not as good as theirs.

But that's way in the past. That can't be a stick to beat Poch with. He's getting the best out of what we have, while trying to work on the mentality issues in the club.

I am not using it as a stick to beat Poch with, it is a statement of fact. The stick was wielded in the direction of Baldini hence why he is no longer here. Yes it was in the past, but it’s effects are far reaching and a big reason why we can’t quite get over the line today.

Last edited:
I am not using it as a stick to beat Poch with, it is a statement of fact. The stick was wielded in the direction of Baldini hence why he is no longer here. Yes it was in the past, but it’s effects are far reaching and a big reason why we can’t quite get over the line today.

Can only but agree - we did some truely dreadful business with the Bale money - and Eriksen was the only player that I thought was something special - that said, I am still scratching my head at how Paulinho is at Barca - nothing that I've seen can explain it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.