Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup Semi Final | Page 11 | Vital Football

Manchester United vs. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the philosophy of the manager creates the mentality of the players.

Watching WBA play Utd away they suddenly looked like a football team playing under a manager who has freed them up from over complicated systems and micro management and allowed them to play within a simple system. Same players, 3 different managers, 3 different philosophies.

I don’t pretend to understand Poch’s philosophy, but I think it is fair to say that it must be very complicated if a top-level experienced international footballers need several months tuition before being deemed ready to play in the team.

I don’t want to see him go but I do want to see him evolve his philosophy into something simpler and more attack minded that Will unleash the goal-scoring talent we have. To be fair we are joint 3rd highest scorers so far, on a level with, believe it or not, Arsenal with 66 goals. Pool have 80 and City 98. Maybe Poch could learn something from both teams above us.

I appreciate that (y) Unfortunately the Leicester situation was unique. We weren't ready for a title challenge. None of us were expecting one. There were two major elements in their squad we didn't, & still don't really have. (1)A special player who can change a game or score a goal out of nothing(Mahrez) and (2)a rock solid defence, with a dominating defensive midfielder(Kante). The amount of 1-0 wins they had was scary! Leicester were just fortunate that those element came together during the perfect season when the big clubs were in transition.
On (1): Don't get me wrong. We do have some very special players. But just not quite at the level the biggest clubs can have on the bench, let alone starting!
And on (2): We had a great defence that year as well. But not as good as theirs.

But that's way in the past. That can't be a stick to beat Poch with. He's getting the best out of what we have, while trying to work on the mentality issues in the club.

The 8 semi-final defeats in a row demonstrates a long-standing problem. The manager who should be most ashamed of that record is Harry Redknapp. With that superb squad he had, getting beat by relegated Portsmouth in the semi-final, and then getting thrashed by Chelsea in the next one, yep, those were embarrassing! :shake:
Cant quite agree with your playing up Leicester and playing us down though.
We cant say we r not ready...that is so kind on our players. Leicester was nearly relegated the season b4 and 5000-1 odds for winning title. In life, who wants it more and seize the opportunity when it appears will get it.
Man to man we r better at least on paper and experience. But see how well drilled they r in formation. Their possession stats in most games were like 30% or less. But they knew what to do once they get the ball...hit to channels for Mahrez and Vardy.
We dont hv a clear plan. Poch started with high press but as time goes by it fades. We played and still play pointless side by side posession with little movement. So Poch needs to make up his mind. If want to press, press all the way like Liverfools. We lack energy and passion in quite a number of games.

Cant quite agree with your playing up Leicester and playing us down though.
We cant say we r not ready...that is so kind on our players. Leicester was nearly relegated the season b4 and 5000-1 odds for winning title. In life, who wants it more and seize the opportunity when it appears will get it.
Man to man we r better at least on paper and experience. But see how well drilled they r in formation. Their possession stats in most games were like 30% or less. But they knew what to do once they get the ball...hit to channels for Mahrez and Vardy.
We dont hv a clear plan. Poch started with high press but as time goes by it fades. We played and still play pointless side by side posession with little movement. So Poch needs to make up his mind. If want to press, press all the way like Liverfools. We lack energy and passion in quite a number of games.

Leicester had zero injuries, no Europe and IIRC didn't really have much cup action to worry about either. I don't think it's a coincidence than in the last 2 seasons the league winners had no CL to worry about... obviously this year was different but Pep had at least 2 players for every position that would walk into most sides in Europe.

In fairness, I'd still sell Lamela and buy Mahrez if we could....even Mahrez's one in five good games would be better than Lamela's one in ten...

In fairness, I'd still sell Lamela and buy Mahrez if we could....even Mahrez's one in five good games would be better than Lamela's one in ten...

I doubt Mahrez would be a good addition to the dressing room. On the other hand he has won a title!

In 106 PL games Lamela has 8 goals, 20 assists and 23 big chances created. That's a participation in 51 goals or likely goals in 106 games , almost one every other game of either a goal, assist or potential or probable goal. That is with a poor first season and a comeback season from surgery . That's PL only.
I would keep him for another season to see if he can get back to where he was before injury. He is at least a good sub for Eriksen, Alli and Son or rotation for those in lesser games, a tactical option for tempo and unlocking reasons.

Cue Richmond......................:wack:

It would be farcical to offload Lamela now . With all the rehab , etc we have invested in him , he is maturing well , with a decent pre season behind him he could be a hell of a player next season

Status
Not open for further replies.