Manchester United FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester United FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur

hmmmm, Valencia, Sanchez, Jones, Smalling, Matic and Felliani to start, not so sure it will be the straight forward game some think it's going to be...

Would love the 3pts, but I'd take 1pt now if offered.

Ok time for my classic 4-1 SPURS prediction. One damn day we will make it happen.

We just saw what a high energy press did to United. Starting Lamela could be good in the mid.

COYS!!!!

I don't see a Utd walkover at all. 3 major factors:

1) Utd are back at OT.
2) The Mourinho backlash after the Brighton result
3) Returning players

I'm still backing us to win but think it will be a close game. Last time around, Mourinho nullified Poch at Wembley, our so called second home. He targeted Dembele and Eriksen and took them out of the game whilst I've never seen Sanchez so fired up, even in NLD's.

Wherever Young plays, we need to target him like Fulham did. He's a huge weak link at full-back (just ask Modric and co!!!). We need to get angled balls at their centre halves who look very suspect.

As for Valencia, I'm happy to send Amos on in the 93rd minute with instructions to fecking slipper him. Perhaps if he can follow through Valencia and take out Jose as well, that would be ideal. The legendary status for young Luke will be worth the 3 match ban. :-)

hmmmm, Valencia, Sanchez, Jones, Smalling, Matic and Felliani to start, not so sure it will be the straight forward game some think it's going to be...

Would love the 3pts, but I'd take 1pt now if offered.

Jones, Smalling and Fellaini are so bad it's not even funny. Any team that plays those 3 should be beaten soundly.

Here's hoping they can add Young at LB.

Jones, Smalling and Fellaini are so bad it's not even funny. Any team that plays those 3 should be beaten soundly.

Here's hoping they can add Young at LB.

Let's hope you're right...last year they conceded 28 in the PL , we conceded 36..

Last edited:
Never thought this United team was anything special. They just have a serial winner of a manager in charge.

On paper we should beat them. But as we know against them over the years mentality has been more of a problem.

Never thought this United team was anything special. They just have a serial winner of a manager in charge.

On paper we should beat them. But as we know against them over the years mentality has been more of a problem.

Exactly. Liverpool at Anfield historically, but Utd both home and away and F**** Chelsea too in the Premier League era is just woeful.

That sense of being beaten before you even turn up against these opponents or in numerous semi finals and a few finals would be harsh to level at any individual player, but its definitely an attitude thats loitered around the club since Hoddle walked out the door.

AVB beat Fergie there, Sherwood followed up the next season. Poch broke our Stamford Bridge hoodoo, don't see any reason why this would be anything he would lose sleep over.

Exactly. Liverpool at Anfield historically, but Utd both home and away and F**** Chelsea too in the Premier League era is just woeful.

That sense of being beaten before you even turn up against these opponents or in numerous semi finals and a few finals would be harsh to level at any individual player, but its definitely an attitude thats loitered around the club since Hoddle walked out the door.

We beat ManU in 3 out our last 6 PL games.
We beat Pool in only 1 out of our last 6 PL games, but also only lost 1 out of those 6.
We beat Chaves twice and lost twice in our last 6 PL meetings, including a win at the bridge.

That's probably a combined best run against these teams in our PL history.

What is that 'sense of being beaten before you turn up' that you are referring to?

We beat ManU in 3 out our last 6 PL games.
We beat Pool in only 1 out of our last 6 PL games, but also only lost 1 out of those 6.
We beat Chaves twice and lost twice in our last 6 PL meetings, including a win at the bridge.

That's probably a combined best run against these teams in our PL history.

What is that 'sense of being beaten before you turn up' that you are referring to?

Oh, I agree that our results have taken an upturn this decade against those sides in the league. I was just referring to the overall record in the PL era.

Apart from the 2008 win against Chelsea, our record in semi’s and finals against those sides is poor. Two semi final defeats to Chelsea 5-1 and 4-2 as well as a 2-0 final loss and a final and semi loss to Utd ... and I don’t want to talk about that Portsmouth semi either.

So yeah, big games against big clubs still has that air of inevitable loss surrounding them. Things have improved but for years it felt like we had lost before a ball was kicked and that damn feeling still lingers unfortunately.

Interesting discussion. It more or less demands a decision on what is relative to current performance. I’d say the last 3 years.

Interesting discussion. It more or less demands a decision on what is relative to current performance. I’d say the last 3 years.

Since this is a PL game let's leave our incompetence in cup runs for the relevant time. A 3 years neutral point distribution with these teams is anything but giving away the game before it starts.

Narrowing the time frame down to 3 years and ignoring even the previous decade sure does put a nice tasty sugar coat to the discussion. In fact it nullifies it.

We have a very good record against our rivals over that period, especially at home, not so much on the road though.

Narrowing the time frame down to 3 years and ignoring even the previous decade sure does put a nice tasty sugar coat to the discussion. In fact it nullifies it.

We have a very good record against our rivals over that period, especially at home, not so much on the road though.

There was a very good study done at a college in the US on predictive info for PL games, I believe the best indicator was 2-3 years of previous performance. I'll see if I can find it later.

There was a very good study done at a college in the US on predictive info for PL games, I believe the best indicator was 2-3 years of previous performance. I'll see if I can find it later.

Frankly any assessment only makes sense if you limit it to the period of Poch's tenure.