Manchester United FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 17 | Vital Football

Manchester United FC vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Lucas had a tough first season getting fit and adjusting to the prem and our way of playing. I applaud those on here who stuck by him , I was not one of them and had my doubts.

We have Son and Lamela pushing him for a place, Winks close to coming back, Rose, Toby and Dembele still with us after rumours of departure.

Its early days but my poll vote for where we will finish this season ( 5 th ) is looking pathetic and pessimistic. I am embarrassed.

If anyone should be looking over their shoulder at their starting place its Alli, not Lucas, slow, sloppy and indecisive yet again. Why does he need an extra touch, just pass the ball and keep it moving. Someone needs to drum that into his head, as he missed an open goal & other opportunities because of it.

Last edited:
We have to go full out, and not wimp or come away with another hard luck story.

This game could well help define the first half of this season; win this and we've made a massive statement, draw and we show we can get a result at a tough venue - lose and it's almost same old same old...

Well we did it. Honestly didn't think we would at half-time.

But in the second we could have put five or six past them.

This is an a massive result for us, almost beyond what I ever thought we could achieve there.

Well done to them all.

Lucas had a tough first season getting fit and adjusting to the prem and our way of playing. I applaud those on here who stuck by him , I was not one of them and had my doubts.

We have Son and Lamela pushing him for a place, Winks close to coming back, Rose, Toby and Dembele still with us after rumours of departure.

Its early days but my poll vote for where we will finish this season ( 5 th ) is looking pathetic and pessimistic. I am embarrassed.

I'm one of the few who believed Moura had a lot lot more to offer, but I also predicted we will finish 6th.

Unless we strengthen in Midfield in January or we suffer absolutely NO injuries, (despite walking on the moon after last night result) - I still think we don't have the quality in depth in key positions to sustain a challenge in all competitions.

Put it this way, I was relieved to see Rose start and relieved to see Dembo last a match without visibly hitting that brick wall again.

I believe we can get a result up at OT, I agree that it's been a mental block. This team is getting mentally stronger every season, even though we didn't manage to get a result on the last couple of occasion our performances were good.
We are due a win and this is the best start we've had under Poch, part our weakness has been our slow start to previous seasons. With the late arrival back of our WC players I had concerns, but the fact that we managed to win two games when we are clearly not at our best is very positive in my view

Great shout Top. :cheers:

Fantastic result from Poch and the lads. Time zone did not allow me to watch it. Seems we struggle to play high intensity for both halves. So happy for Lucas, Kane and all the players who contributed. Could be a bigger result than just a 0-3 win. Jose lost confidence in himself now. Not sure we should be patting ourselves on the back for not spending, as this will surely come back to haunt us given our usual injuries throughout the season.
Is Ben Davies injured? Did Poch take off Tripps for Serge?
Best start to a season for a long time.
COYS COYS COYS

Ben Davies is uninjured and hardly distinguishing himself at LB. Tripps got a knock in a tangle with Fellaini who made a claim for a pen.

Great shout Top. :cheers:

Man U defence was very poor , mainly Jones for first two goals. Kane outmuscled him to plant a perfect header. The second goal their defence was out of shape and left Eriksen loads of space. The first half was even probably in United's favour but we should have had a pen.

I don't think we improved our mentality on previous games. We are consistent in our approach and settled with our responsibilities. Man U have a real problem in defence. Smalling and Jones are not good enough and their new signings are not ready , possibly never will be.

We did what we had to do to open up a shyte defence.

Man U defence was very poor , mainly Jones for first two goals. Kane outmuscled him to plant a perfect header. The second goal their defence was out of shape and left Eriksen loads of space. The first half was even probably in United's favour but we should have had a pen.

I don't think we improved our mentality on previous games. We are consistent in our approach and settled with our responsibilities. Man U have a real problem in defence. Smalling and Jones are not good enough and their new signings are not ready , possibly never will be.

We did what we had to do to open up a shyte defence.

I think for the most part Nick you've got it almost entirely wrong.

We did improve our mentality; how many times have we crumpled under pressure up their in the past ? - yet this time we absorbed the home team pressure under the help of a home team ref and took the game to them in the second half - something we've been weak at for years against the Top 6.

Kane didn't 'out-muscle' Jones, what he did was set himself better, timed it better and out jumped him - apart from a steadying outstretched arm, there was almost no muscling/ tangling with Jones at all.

The second goal, we pulled them out of shape with the speed of our passing and movement.

There won't be many teams that do that to Smalling and Jones (unless his hammy keeps him out) this year; which is why they didn't last season when they had the second best record in the PL....

If anything, and to be fair, Jones looked unfit and I'd lay money on that's why he's pulled his hammy again.

Last edited:
Managed to get a ticket last night. What a night.

The funny thing was that I actually felt sorry for Mourinho, but obviously not for long !!!

He set his team out better than Poch. He pinned our full-backs back in our own half by getting Herrera to drop in at times and make a back 3. He got his team to press Toby and Jan whilst giving Dier and Dembele no time on the ball. But for that donkey Lukaku, they would have been one or two up in the first 20-25 mins. He was the true culprit of the night. Looking forward to watching the game on playback, especially the 2 Moura first half incidents.

What happened in the 2nd half was amazing. Pogba showed his total lack of fight when the going gets tough and except for Luke Shaw, we were better to a man all over the park. Bodies on the line when it mattered and the ability to stretch them and put the ball in the net. If we keep that mental toughness through the squad this season then we're up for a great season.

The highlight of the evening for me was the relationship between the away fans and guys like Toby and Rose. You can just tell that all the nonsense in the summer is long gone now they're back down to business. The body language of our players to each other is something else to see live. Poch's starting eleven last night cost the Pogba transfer fee plus £2m change. Says it all !!!

I think for the most part Nick you've got it almost entirely wrong.

We did improve our mentality; how many times have we crumpled under pressure up their in the past ? - yet this time we absorbed the home team pressure under the help of a home team ref and took the game to them in the second half - something we've been weak at for years against the Top 6.

Kane didn't 'out-muscle' Jones, what he did was set himself better, timed it better and out jumped him - apart from a steadying outstretched arm, there was almost no muscling/ tangling with Jones at all.

The second goal, we pulled them out of shape with the speed of our passing and movement.

There won't be many teams that do that to Smalling and Jones (unbless his hammy keeps him out) this year, which is why they didn't last when they had the second best record in the PL....

If anything, and to be fair, Jones looked unfit and I'd lay money on that's why he's pulled his hammy again.

Our mentality has been resilient and strong for quite some time, not Man U specific. That is in the past.

There is no doubt that Man Us defence was poor. Man U were well in the game first half but we upped the tempo and exposed their weakness in defence. Kane out jumped and kept Jones away, pedantic to contest the description. That was Kanes individual determination and Tripps delivery from a set piece.

We havnt improved our mentality for the Mancs place, we have been building on it for some time. If teams are going to offer up poor defences they will pay.
They should have had the discipline to keep their shape for the second goal. One good pass down the line for Eriksen into space exposed a non existent back line, their line was diagonal creating a triangle for Eriksen to run into.

I am not seeing this as a specific improvement in mentality or resilience against Man U. They made it easy for us on two goals.

So I watched the game sitting in my office.

On the way home, my manc loving neighbour who lives 8 doors down, he's legit, used to have season's tickets and his brother still does, was sitting at his desk which is just visible from the street.

I stopped in front of his house. And honked the horn 3 times, slowly.

He flipped me the bird and closed the shutters.

Best I think Hugo’s played in a big game?

That worldy he made when we were 1 up was at such a crucial time for us and, and he really dealt well with crossed into the box and all the bodies blocking him.

Haters gonna hate, usual suspects going on about their least favourite players, case in point Lloris. Rose had a brainfart yet Lloris gets the criticism, go figure.

If anyone should be looking over their shoulder at their starting place its Alli, not Lucas, slow, sloppy and indecisive yet again. Why does he need an extra touch, just pass the ball and keep it moving. Someone needs to drum that into his head, as he missed an open goal & other opportunities because of it.

I'm on a Greek island so watched the game on a hooky stream with an Aperol spritz around midnight. After which I got legless and having a hair of the dog and a manic grin all morning. I totally agree with Rich it's Delle Alli that needs to look out because you could see Son Lucas Kane with Ericksen deep rasing our tempo considerably. If Winks comes back anywhere near what he was we may make the hysteria over the lack of signings look daft. That said I think we should be adding good young players because we can and need silverware. COYS!!