Manchester City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City

Cook is always trying to gain the advantage or make the most of the situation - he's not stupid and he certainly not a soft touch. You see him trying it on constantly with the way he conducts himself at home on the sidelines with both vocal and body language signs. When we have been winning comfortably he's put the backroom staff in the spotlight both in the Technical area and in front of the cameras.
His buttering up of opposition players just might persuade a potential decent signing be attracted to come to Wigan. His praise of the opposition to the media will try and distract from his own teams lack lustre performance. What should he have said - "They are shit , but we was even more shittier!" although true he has to motivate these players to go again.

True, and I certainly don't think Cook is stupid, or a soft touch. I also think that, when it comes to match day, he does everything he can to get the team over the line. However, if Cook does indeed make these comments to detract attention from the team's performance, then I think this plan is backfiring. Judging by what I've seen on here, it only seems to exacerbate the frustration at the team's poor displays.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if he did say something along those lines (although obviously in a different way!). At least it would be honest and the supporters wouldn't feel as though their intelligence was being insulted. Instead of describing the Millers as 'unplayable', he could maybe have just talked about how Rotherham had a clear game plan, and the way we played made it easier for them to execute this game plan. This would have been honest, and he wouldn't have had to disrespect the opposition, or disparage his side too much either. This might even cause the fans to be more lenient towards him; if they saw that he was aware of his mistakes and was looking to rectify them. As it is, Cook's interviews reflect a man in denial and the fans cannot see any recognition of his mistakes or willingness to change.