Manchester City - Wycombe Wanderers EFL Cup Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City - Wycombe Wanderers EFL Cup Post Match Thread

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 6 Wycombe 1
Manchester City Line-up
Steffen, Egan-Riley, Burns, Mbete, Wilson-Esbrand*, Lavia, De Bruyne (C), Foden, Sterling, Torres**, Mahrez
SUBS: Carson, Dias, Jesus, Bernardo, Cancelo, Palmer(**72), McAtee(*72).
City Goals - De Bruyne 29' Mahrez 43' 83' Foden 45'+1, Torres 71 Palmer 88'
City Assists - Foden 29',71' Wilson-Esbrand 43' Mahrez(45'+1) Sterling 83' Mbete 88'

Attendance- 30,959

FT Stats
Possession
City 78.8% WW 21.2%
Corners
City 8 WW 5
Offsides
City 2 WW 3
Fouls
City 9 WW 11
Cards
City 1 Y WW 0 Y (Lavia)
On Target
City 14 WW 5
Woodwork
City 2 WW 0
Off Target
City 6 WW 5

BBC show a variety of stats regarding shots but both agree with shots on target.

Last edited:
The Question was tonight with Pep saying that he would play some youth players and the back line was indeed brand new and when Wycombe took the lead, it just kick started our night and the Senior Lads got City back on track and there were some really good goals

If this season transpires the way we all hope, there will be bigger games and bigger tests to come, but the significance of this night for our seven Academy players cannot be underestimated.

And it's acknowledged by the Etihad crowd, who rise to applaud the players off the pitch.

Brilliant to see, as is Adebayo Akinfenwa obliging City fans with their requests for selfies as he departs the pitch.

The beautiful game. 💙

JoMU News
Player ratings
Steffen 6, Egan-Riley 7, Burns 7, Mbete 8, Wilson-Esbrand* 7, Lavia 7, De Bruyne (C) 6, Foden 8, Sterling 6, Torres** 6 , Mahrez 7
SUBS: Carson, Dias, Jesus, Bernardo, Cancelo, Palmer 7 (**72), McAtee 6(*72).

Palmer: Scoring the best feeling ever
How do you sum up your first senior goal? Here's Cole Palmer's take:

"I'm over the moon, to be honest that's probably the best feeling I've ever had. When I see it go in and hear the fans. That's why we work as little kids. I've got to keep going, get more opportunities to try and have moments like that again.

"The manager trusts us so we trust him back., you can see on the training pitch how many of us train with him. to get the opportunity tonight, we're all delighted."

A creditable performance from the ‘blended’ team :clap: Well done Pep for putting his faith in the EDS defensive unit whose confidence will soar after this experience. In opting to effectively spilt the side into seniors attack/EDS defence Pep make a bold statement and was vindicated. Doubtless the :yawning: media will lead their headlines with the dippers away victory v Norwich whilst this resounding win by the current holders and winners of the comp for four successive seasons will be written off in the “well they should have won against L2 opponents but did they have to be so mean” category again.

A goal for Palmer at the Etihad will be cherished by the young lad for the rest of his life. Foden wins MoTM and announces his return.

🤞🏻 for the weekend and the upcoming games that the injuries ease up.

I was surprised when I heard the starting eleven with the EDS defence. Like Buzz, I also thought there would be a mixture across the board between first teamers and youth, but the young lads handled the game well, and were impressive all round.

Foden was the stand out, always asking for the ball, and making himself available. I know about the quality of the opponents tonight, but there's a distinct chance he's played himself into the team for Chelsea.

A thumping goal straight through the keeper's hands, his shot is deceptively powerful!

Most impressed with the young players in particular Wilson-Esbrand and Lavia. Another frustrating game for Sterling, who needs a run of games to get back on form I feel. WW were never disgraced and early on played quite well, but City had too much class over the ninty.

Some great moments from the highlights….

Foden’s touch……it is like watching David Silva control the ball. One touch for both his goal and to set up the wonderful cross for Torres to finish :bow:

Great for De Bryune & Foden to get a full 90 minutes into their legs ahead of the challenges to come. Kev’ds radar needed sharpening and his slide rule passes :clap:

The young lad’s composure to set up Mahrez for his first goal ….:thumbup:

Sterling’s decision to pass the ball first time for Mahrez’s 2nd :thumbup: (instead of trying to control it, take three step overs and beat the keeper). He does need a goal though and came close with a great effort :clap:

Palmer’s composure to slot in his goal - great run, superbly pinned the defender by initially running at an angle moving the defender to the right…..to open the space between the two defenders allowing Cole to step to the left and finish cooly. De Bruyne like :clap:

Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth: “The first 22 minutes were special! What a moment for the fans who travelled all this way.

"A few months ago they were locked in their homes and couldn’t see us in the Championship. Those scenes when the goal went in were incredible.

“Congratulations to Man City and thanks for welcoming us the way you have. We couldn’t cope with them at times and we owe them a lot of respect. I hope they go on and win it, and for us, we turn our attentions to getting three points at MK Dons.”

Carabao Cup round three LIVE: Including updates from Man City v Wycombe, Norwich v Liverpool & Fulham v Leeds - Live - BBC Sport

I had to search for this, as I saw it on the reaction to the matches on the BBC/football and could not copy and paste at thew time, so I looked this morning on the results page, the BBC had posted the first two paragraphs but not the third.

Last edited:
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "I am just going to say thank you very much to all the academy.

"They have many good players, not just one or two. All of them are incredibly well-educated people. Thanks to their families. We have talented players. We can count on them absolutely.

"With their skills and desire, they got it at this club. I am so proud to be manager of this club.

"Phil Foden was injured for two months after the national team. Phil doesn't need many games to get his rhythm because he lives for football 24 hours a day. He is sharp."

Carabao Cup round three LIVE: Including updates from Man City v Wycombe, Norwich v Liverpool & Fulham v Leeds - Live - BBC Sport

Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth: "I didn't get carried away enough to think there was a great shock on the cards. Their front five, wow, and I'm not disrespecting their back five, they were brilliant as well.

"They've got some players who are going to be superstars, but we learned a lot and we had that moment on 22 minutes when Hanlan got his first goal for the club in front of our fans at the Etihad - fairytale stuff."

Man City 6 - 1 Wycombe - Match Report & Highlights (skysports.com)

Still cannot find the attendance anywhere, I assume that although it may not have been a packed house, it wasn't the lowest attendance ever that the daily Star was hoping for, but on their online page you would think there was only one game on last night

So pleasing to read comments from the opposition manager which aren't bitching about decisions or money or transfer values etc. Credit to him for that and sending his team out to compete. Kudos :tophat:

Still cannot find the attendance anywhere, I assume that although it may not have been a packed house, it wasn't the lowest attendance ever that the daily Star was hoping for, but on their online page you would think there was only one game on last night
They won't let this issue go - pep and the guy from the supporters group need to both say 'It's over..... let's move on and talk about the football". Such BS from the media :finger: