Manchester City-West Bromwich Albion Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City-West Bromwich Albion Premier League Post Match Thread

Sky
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (6), Cancelo (6), Dias (5), Ake (6), Mendy (5), Gundogan (7), Rodri (6), De Bruyne (6), Foden (5), Sterling (5), Jesus (5).

Subs: Walker (5), Aguero (5).

MEN
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (6), Cancelo (7), Dias (6), Ake (6), Mendy** (6), Gundogan (7), Rodri (5), De Bruyne (5), Foden* (5), Sterling (7), Jesus (4).

Subs: Walker** (6), Aguero*(6).

Did Pep pick the wrong team, I think he did.

The thing that got me was he played Sterling and Foden wide on their preferred foot, so less cutting in on to their stronger foot meaning no space vacated on the wing for our attacking full backs to exploit.

Some nice deliveries from DeBruyne when he came deep after Aguero came on, play him deeper please Pep and cut one off Rodri or Gundogan.

Beginning to be the theme of the season. I just don’t think the players feel the courage to be bold any more - they do not seem to want to take their opponents on.....
Yes, I think you are correct, we are back to back and across, that killer forward ball is only coming from Red Kev these days, and he is looking more and more frustrated with each game. I would play him deeper with Rodri to allow another attacking MF to get a start. We have to try something, otherwise no top 4 the way we are performing.

The thing that got me was he played Sterling and Foden wide on their preferred foot, so less cutting in on to their stronger foot meaning no space vacated on the wing for our attacking full backs to exploit.

Some nice deliveries from DeBruyne when he came deep after Aguero came on, play him deeper please Pep and cut one off Rodri or Gundogan.

Good point about Foden and Sterling - they rarely took on/got behind their full backs out wide and in fact did not get nearly as much 'chalk on their boots' as we have seen in the past from wide players. Do they not only weren't getting beyond their opponents to cross, they weren't stretching the defense either as they both tended to drift inside and so we effectively condensed the space to the width of the 18 yard box and made defendy the channels so often exploited by DS21 and KDB with their slide rule, 'eye of a needle' passing .....

On a Frustration Scale of 1-10 right now I am at 11+