Manchester City-West Bromwich Albion Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-West Bromwich Albion Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 1 West Bromwich Albion 1
FT Stats
Possession
City 76.9% WBA 23.1%
Corners
City 13 WBA 2
Offsides
City 3 WBA 2
Fouls
City 5 WBA 8
Cards
City 2 Y (Cancelo, Ake) WBA 3 Y
On Target
City 6 WBA 1 (City OS City 7)
Woodwork
City 0 WBA 0
Off Target
City 19 WBA 4 (PL site has 25 City shots, WBA 5 - City OS City 11 shots WBA 4 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59025

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-west-bromwich-albion

21:53
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Dion Dublin
Former Aston Villa & Man Utd striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

I think Raheem Sterling's header was three yards out! And he's in the centre of the goal. It's an amazing cross, diving header, he's got all the goal to aim at and Johnstone has made another amazing save! Great reflexes!

Man City 1-1 West Brom

The point lifts City from 10th to sixth.

But they're five points behind leaders Tottenham, having played the same number of games.

West Brom remain 19th but are just two points from safety.

21:57
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Dion Dublin

Two point-blank saves from Sam Johnstone. Two headers which I think, were actually harder to miss than to score!

Very good tonight from West Brom. OK, it's not the type of game I want to watch but if I'm coming to the Etihad and I'm setting my team up like this and they do it to the letter and they get you a point? You can't moan!

22:01
'We rode our luck but we deserved that'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone to BBC Sport: "We're buzzing with that. We knew it would be tough. We rode our luck at times but we deserved that result.

"We've played well in a few games and not got the result. Today we kept digging in and when that whistle goes the lads are buzzing.

"We knew the quality they have and it wasn't going to be easy. We knew they would have a lot of the ball. We thought for the club, for the manager and for ourselves."

Posted at 22:04
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Dion Dublin

We have seen Manchester City play against teams who do this and regardless, tear them apart, find a way and get in behind.

Unfortunately for City, West Brom didn't switch off once tonight. The balls from Kevin de Bruyne were world class but they only happened two or three times tonight.

With Sergio Aguero not starting, it's a completely different Man City side. Different feel. When Aguero came on, City played their only long ball and it was trying to get Aguero in behind the two centre-halves of West Brom.

Aguero gives them something different and they just didn't have it. They just can't seem to create those chances when team sit in and force City to do something.

Posted at 22:05
'We love the manager'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone to Amazon: "The boys dug in, we fought for 95 minutes. They had a lot of the ball but we knew that.

"The lads ran their socks off but I was there to make a few saves when needed. The two headers were close and I just got a leg to them and kept them out. The quality of the balls they put in is unbelievable. The lads are buzzing with that result. It's a massive game coming here.

"We love the manager. We knew getting promoted it would be difficult, we're not hiding away from that."

22:10
'All teams in Europe are struggling to win games in a row'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan to BBC Sport: "We should have won that game but we can't change that now. We can do better but it was not meant to be today.

"We can complain but we cannot change it and must accept it. We have to look forward.

"It's nearly impossible to have just one team that's on top and dominating anything, especially with the schedule coming up. All teams in Europe are struggling to win games in a row. But we have responsibilities and we should win these kind of games, especially at home."

22:13
'We are humans, not machines'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan: "We deserved better, we had the chances. I don't know what to say, it's disappointing to get one point, we must win these kind of games.

"It's not always easy in this period of the year, so many games, they defend so deep. They do it well, they play with all they have, they fight for every ball. It's not easy to create chances but we did - we just couldn't score more than one goal.

"We have played great football in the past, we set the level high. The expectation is not going down just up. When you win you need to prove yourselves again. You can see all over Europe the big teams are struggling. It is not going to get easier in the next few weeks.

"We are human beings, not machines, we struggle as well. We know we could have played better but it feels like it was in the details today."

22:16
'You have to win these games'
Manchester City 1-1 West Bromwich Albion

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to Amazon: "We didn't create much in the first half, they had a lot of people back, we struggled to win the second balls. In the second half we did everything we just couldn't score.

"We created enough to win the game, 26 shots I think, you just have to put the ball in, We are struggling with that. We have to be optimistic.

"You don't have to be so clever to see the gap between this year and previous years [in our results]. It is not confidence, Sergio Aguero is injured for four mounths, but we create chances, we are there we just can't score.

"It is not about the points [to the top of the league], you have to win games like this. We know it, we drop points. These are the ones you have to win. It's not far away to the top of the league but you have to beat West Brom at home. There are a lot of games left.

"This situation is weird for everyone. We deserved to win the game but we didn't win it."

22:21
Albion's first Etihad point since 2005
Man City 1-1 West Brom

West Brom's hard-earned point tonight ended a 13-game losing streak against Manchester City in the Premier League.

It's their first point against City since a 0-0 draw in December 2011 and a first away point since August 2005 following a run of nine straight league defeats at the Etihad.

Meanwhile, City’s haul of 26 shots was the most they’ve had in a Premier League home game without winning since August 2019, when they had 30 against Spurs.

22:22
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Dion Dublin

The league table is crazy. I'm just so pleased that the league has gone this way. I'm so pleased that one team has not ran away with it, are not out in front at this stage of the season.

'If we fight for each other we have a good chance'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

West Brom manager Slaven Bilic speaking to Amazon: "I'm really proud of the boys. We asked them to work hard, to frustrate them and to wait for our chances and we've done everything.

"We helped each other and we counted of course on Sam Johnstone. But that's what you need when you come to Etihad if you want to get anything from the game.

"We already played some really good stuff against the big teams. We were really disappointed when we've been empty handed. It's really important today to be rewarded by the point.

"Every point counts. For me it would mean more than a point, the knowledge of what we have to do now in every game. If we go like crazy and fight for each other then we are going to have a good chance [of staying up] no matter how we play."

On speculation around his position: "I'm very calm. I'm doing my job. I'm not bothered about that. We showed tonight - I can't be more proud of what my team showed for West Brom. The other things are out of my control and I'm not bothered."

22:25
Man City 1-1 West Brom

West Brom boss Slaven Bilic to BBC Sport: "The team was working hard, a great defensive performance. We are playing against great players, we knew we are not going to see much of the ball. We defended brilliantly, it's a great point but more than that it shows we know what we have to do in every game.

"We are defending for our lives, ready to die for each other on the pitch and that's all I can ask.

"Sam Johnstone made some great saves at the end, the two headers. I said before the season we will need a great goalkeeper and he is doing that for us. Every time we need him he is there. And we need him.

"We defended really good in the box and for our mindset it is very important to get the belief."

22:28
'You have to win this kind of game to be up there'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC Sport: "We created chances, we controlled it but you have to win. This game works on results. We could not win.

"We have to accept [teams will come and defend] but we have to break the situation and create chances, but we could not do it. With 10 players in the box, it was not easy."

"If you want to be up there [in the Premier League] you have to win this kind of game at home. It will be a long season but if you want to be up there we have to win here and we could not do it."

On no team dominating in the table: "It doesn't look like it will happen, it's exceptional [the winning points totals of the last few years]. That's the past. The present doesn't look like this."

22:31
'We could not win'
Man City 1-1 West Brom

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "We could not win. We had the chance to win in the end. We were better than them but we could not not win.

"They had physicality, we know that they can do well, we know that they are good. We know it. But we could not win.

"I don't know why [big teams have dropped points]. I haven't analysed the table but games like this, we have to win.

"The league is difficult. They are physical and strong and very good."

On what he said to fourth official Anthony Taylor: "No, I said maybe four minutes was not enough. Almost three minutes down, waiting. With the substitutions, four is not enough. But honestly, he's the boss and he decides.