Manchester City - Watford Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Watford Premier League Post Match Thread

Posted at 17:5617:56
'We have an opportunity to play another final against Leeds, that's all'
FT: Man City 5-1 Watford
18c44f8f-e824-4f4b-bb6b-dad259f741f9.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC Match of the Day: "Every team, except maybe four or five in the middle of the table, is playing for something. Watford is one of them but we started really well. We didn't defend well in some part of the game, because of the physicality, but it was a really good result."
On Gabriel Jesus: "In this world of football, if there's one person, one player who deserves the best in life, it's Gabriel. He fights for every single ball and helps the team all the time. One day I'll have to ask him to play at right-back, and he's going to give absolutely everything.
"It's not necessary for him to score four goals to know exactly how important [he is], and what he means to all of us. But when he can score four goals, like today, as a striker, all of us are incredibly delighted and happy for him."
On Kevin de Bruyne: "He's arrived at this last part of the season in the best moment, and when he's in this moment he's almost unstoppable. His vision, the fight, the transitions - he's exceptional."
On title race: "Tonight I'll go home. We play on Wednesday so I'll start to think about Real Madrid. Tonight I'll watch some minutes from some games I want to watch, and that's all.
"The victory against Brighton gave us the opportunity to play another 'final' today, and the victory today gave us an opportunity to play another final against Leeds between the Madrid games. It's no more complicated than that.
"The situation hasn't changed today. We have to win all the games to be champions. We have five left. They're difficult ones because they're mixed in between the Champions League, but it's a pleasure and I'm so proud again to be here."

18:02
Pep - 'I have 14/15 players fit'
Pep on injuries and the fitness of his squad
"When you have 17/18 players fit it doesn't matter, but I have 14/15 players fit and the last few games Kev and Aymer play a lot of minutes.
"Kevin it looks like has had some disturbing niggles in his ankles for the kicks he got in the last game. It is not just Madrid, it’s Leeds as well (I am thinking about).
"That is why in that moment I am thinking the game is almost over and I give rest in the last minutes to the players who have played a lot of minutes.
"We don't have lots of central defenders that is why Nathan played with a big problem in his ankle. But if the result was 1-0 Kevin would have continued until the end."

Pep: Oleks is another player who is so reliable
Pep's praise for Oleks Zinchenko

"Absolutely exceptional. We don't have many options. I don’t know when Kyle will arrive. We will see. Joao is out (against Real Madrid) and John will be difficult to get through. We will see.

"At the end Oleks is another player who is so reliable. I will never forget what he has done in these three or four years, playing in not his natural position.

"You can do that for one or three games, but for a season, you have to be incredible."

Stat pack
🔹 We have won 25 Premier League games this season, the fifth consecutive campaign they have won 25+ matches in the division. We are only the second side in English top-flight history to win 25+ matches in five straight seasons, after Manchester United from 2005-06 to 2009-10.

🔹 Kevin De Bruyne has assisted nine Premier League goals against Watford, his most against a single opponent in the competition.

🔹 Gabriel Jesus scored his first Premier League hat-trick in his 155th appearance in the competition. He was the fifth Brazilian hat-trick scorer in the competition, after Afonso Alves, Robinho, Roberto Firmino and Lucas Moura, but the first of those to score four in a single match.

Mancity - Official Club Website

Hodgson: City 'so good'
"They are so good. Most games I see them play I see lots of goal opportunities for them. I am not surprised when they score three goals plus because of the quality of their attacking play. If we were going to have any hope at all of making them work hard for their victory it had to be about keeping it tight in the first half.

"When you see the third goal go in, that sours your feeling on the first half and then to go out after one minute and concede a fourth goal takes the game out of your reach. You are then looking into the abyss, playing a team that can score lots of goals if they want to."

The early goal was certainly a tonic.

A superb tackle by Zinchenko to preserve the lead after Cancelo overplayed in the centre circle, following on from his assist. He had a super game, and, if Jesus hadn't scored four, would've been a quiet shout for motm.

Another addition to the Rodri (and City) thunder bastard catalogue just to settle things down after the Watford goal that was too easy. It was really the only thing Ederson had to do - I can't recall anything else.

A poor miss by Sterling when set up by Jesus, who won and converted the penalty superbly - I can't say I was confident as he stepped up, but a bit of a farce about how long it took to be sorted.

The fifth was the icing on the cake, and good subs made by Guardiola to rest the right players.
Grealish did have a quiet game to answer Skoorb's question in the MDT.

GJ helped us today to move one step ahead in PL title race. He has risen up to the occasion . Cheap arsenal press tries to poach our player, whose low morale got boosted by four goal and MOTM performance today. This will be a new headache for guardiola's team selection against the Real Madrid .

Waiting for the next starting 11

The early goal was certainly a tonic.

A superb tackle by Zinchenko to preserve the lead after Cancelo overplayed in the centre circle, following on from his assist. He had a super game, and, if Jesus hadn't scored four, would've been a quiet shout for motm.

Another addition to the Rodri (and City) thunder bastard catalogue just to settle things down after the Watford goal that was too easy. It was really the only thing Ederson had to do - I can't recall anything else.

A poor miss by Sterling when set up by Jesus, who won and converted the penalty superbly - I can't say I was confident as he stepped up, but a bit of a farce about how long it took to be sorted.

The fifth was the icing on the cake, and good subs made by Guardiola to rest the right players.
Grealish did have a quiet game to answer Skoorb's question in the MDT.

just to clear that up G. Ali Mann could hear VAR telling the Friend that it was a good penalty and the Referee lost communication with VAR, the decisions were quickly made but slow in getting the message relayed to the ref, but I would have thought that was the 4th Refs job, as all the press box coukd hear Shockley Parks confirmations

Pep: Oleks is another player who is so reliable
Pep's praise for Oleks Zinchenko

"Absolutely exceptional. We don't have many options. I don’t know when Kyle will arrive. We will see. Joao is out (against Real Madrid) and John will be difficult to get through. We will see.

"At the end Oleks is another player who is so reliable. I will never forget what he has done in these three or four years, playing in not his natural position.

"You can do that for one or three games, but for a season, you have to be incredible."
Love Zinko, because he gives it everything when he gets a go, also made a goal saving tackle today, which was excellent.

just to clear that up G. Ali Mann could hear VAR telling the Friend that it was a good penalty and the Referee lost communication with VAR, the decisions were quickly made but slow in getting the message relayed to the ref, but I would have thought that was the 4th Refs job, as all the press box coukd hear Shockley Parks confirmations
There‘s also the GIGANTIC screen which could have displayed “VAR check complete:penalty - Yes Kevin it really is a penalty, trust me”

Love Zinko, because he gives it everything when he gets a go, also made a goal saving tackle today, which was excellent.
To add to his interception on Weds which led to our third goal :clap: An honest player who backed himself instead of leaving City - HUGE respect for the lad :tophat: :thumbup:

(whisper it quietly though …..the BBC MoTD replay does appear to show that it was the Watford player whose foot moves the ball away when the tackle is made and Zinchenko doesn’t make any contact with the ball, only the player :whist: But I’ll take it and it remains a great foot chase and effort :clap:)

Gabby was magnificent - all over the park
Kevin’s cross for the second goal……… World Class :bow:
Grealish was more involved than the OS commentary would have you (me) believe - unspectacular but it’s a team game
Rodri doesn’t score tap ins :LOL:
The goal conceded - Dias had allowed himself to be dragged out of position to the right touchline & Fernandinho (rusty?) didn’t need to get attracted to the ball - he failed to track the run of the full back inside him. Not sure Eddy could have done too much better although he got a hand to it - it was well struck from not too far away. Well taken but avoidable from our point of view.
Still not sure how Sterling missed that chance in the first half :shrug: (Pep’s reaction is priceless)

To add to his interception on Weds which led to our third goal :clap: An honest player who backed himself instead of leaving City - HUGE respect for the lad :tophat: :thumbup:

(whisper it quietly though …..the BBC MoTD replay does appear to show that it was the Watford player whose foot moves the ball away when the tackle is made and Zinchenko doesn’t make any contact with the ball, only the player :whist: But I’ll take it and it remains a great foot chase and effort :clap:)

Yes he did not get the ball, but because the foul was outside the area VAR could not interfere
NB if the foul had been inside the area and there was a communication problem, then the on field decision is the rule of law.

ie It was a foul but because of the direction of the ball everyone thought that Zinko got it, even the player that was fouled.

There‘s also the GIGANTIC screen which could have displayed “VAR check complete:penalty - Yes Kevin it really is a penalty, trust me”
Sky GoTD commentary stated that neither Friend nor Jon Moss as 4th Officeial could hear the comms from Shockley Park. Had to be passed vis the PL match manager at the ground.