On Target :-
City
5 Watford 0
Passes
City
555 Watford 250
Attendance: 53,013

Manchester City Team
Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Laporte**, Zinchenko, Rodrigo***, Fernandinho (C), De Bruyne*, Jesus, Sterling, Grealish.

SUBS: Steffen, Ake**, Gundogan*, Bernardo, Mahrez***, Foden, Egan-Riley, Mbete, Palmer.

Stats Courtesy of
Mancity.com
https://www.premierleague.com/match

Last edited:
Commentary By John Edwards @
14:41 amended after the match by yours truly
Stat pack
We have won our last nine matches against teams in the relegation zone by an aggregate score of 36-1.
Pep Guardiola has won all 11 meetings with Watford in all competitions, recording a combined score of 47-5. It is his best 100% win rate against any opponent.
Riyad Mahrez has scored his 23 goals in all competitions this season. Only Mohamed Salah, with 30, has more scored more among Premier League players.
Mahrez has scored seven goals in his last seven Premier League home appearances, including netting in each of his last five league starts at the Etihad Stadium.
Kevin De Bruyne has recorded nine goals and four assists in his last 15 Premier League appearances.
Gabriel Jesus scores 4 goals in this fixture.

Last edited:
Full-time: City 5-1 Watford
Three points in the bag after a ruthless, Gabriel Jesus-inspired attacking display.

The Brazilian takes home the match ball, netting four goals and setting up the other one for Rodrigo, who scored a stunning half-volley.

City raced into an early two goal lead, before Hassane Kamara pulled one back for Watford against the run of play.

Rodrigo's effort restored our two goal lead before the break, with a Jesus penalty and smart finish from a well-worked wrapping up a one-sided victory.

Lovely stuff!

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/manchester-city-v-watford/?tab=commentary

Manchester City 5 Watford 1
HT - 3-1
City Goals - Jesus 4' 23' 49'(P) Rodrigo 34' 53'
City Assists - Zinchenko 4' De Bruyne 23' 53' Jesus 34'

Possession:-
City
50% - Watford 50%
Corners :-
City
4 Watford 0
Offsides :-
City
5 Watford 0
Fouls :-
City
9 Watford 11
Cards :
City Y Cancelo -
Watford Y
Shots :-
City
21 Watford 1
Woodwork :-
City 0
Watford 0
On Target :-
City
5 Watford 0
Passes
City
555 Watford 250
Attendance: 53,013

Manchester City Team
Ederson, Cancelo, Dias, Laporte**, Zinchenko, Rodrigo***, Fernandinho (C), De Bruyne*, Jesus, Sterling, Grealish.

SUBS: Steffen, Ake**, Gundogan*, Bernardo, Mahrez***, Foden, Egan-Riley, Mbete, Palmer.

Stats Courtesy of
Mancity.com
https://www.premierleague.com/match
That possession stat has to be wrong, surely?

Flashscore had it 74% v 26%

Manchester Evening News
player Ratings
Ederson 6, Cancelo 7, Dias 6, Laporte7, Zinchenko 8, Rodrigo 7, Fernandinho (C) 8, De Bruyne 8, Jesus 9, Sterling 6, Grealish 6.

SUBS: Ake 6, Gundogan 7, Mahrez no time to mark,

17:06
In good company
Gabriel Jesus is only the second City player to be directly involved in five goals in a single Premier League game (four goals, one assist), after Sergio Agüero scored five against Newcastle in October 2015.
He is the third player to score four goals in a Premier League match, after Edin Dzeko and Sergio Agüero (x3).

17:13
As it stands
City move four points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table, but the Reds can reduce that to one-point again with victory over Everton in the Merseyside derby tomorrow.
Our destiny remains in our own hands, and that is what it’s all about at this stage of the season.
Five more wins and we’ll be champions.

17:20
Jesus thanks De Bruyne for hat-trick
"It’s my first hat trick in the Premier League. Four goals, I am so happy.
"I try to help my team. I want to say thank you to Kevin [De Bruyne]. He is the taker and he said, Gabby go and score a hat-trick.
"I want to thank him for giving me the opportunity. I had scored two and he said score a hat-trick. He is not selfish.
"I am here to score goals. I know I can help my team."

ddc07361-4ab1-48b6-bb5a-c28118776c57

'Today was my day'
FT: Man City 5-1 Watford
18c44f8f-e824-4f4b-bb6b-dad259f741f9.jpg

Manchester City
Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus to Sky Sports: "Today was my day. We played very good today, we created a lot of chances, that's what we need to do
"We made passes and passes to create chances and try to score, and today we were very good on the finishing.
"It was my first hat-trick in the Premier League. I've tried. Sometimes I've scored two then I've hit a post, the defender has blocked [my shot], or the keeper has saved, but today was my day.
"I'm very happy with the three points. The team played so good and we deserved it."
On Kevin de Bruyne: "He's an amazing player, always trying to put the ball in the box. When I'm playing on the right side I do as well, but he does it better than me of course.
"Always when he has the ball I try to go in the area to finish and today I was happy he gave a very good cross and I could head it in."
On putting pressure on Liverpool: "We have to do out job, not look to them. We know they have a lot of amazing players and can win all the games. We are in front and, of course, it's not easy but we have to do our job."https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60809982

Nothing changes' in title race - Guardiola

Manchester City
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports: "We started well from the first minute of the first half and second half. We didn't defend well, we were not aggressive enough. But the players up front, not just Gabriel for his incredible four goals, but all of them were brilliant."
On Gabriel Jesus: "If there's one person who deserves the best in life for him, his family and his friends, it's Gabriel. All of us at the club, when he has one of these situations, we're happy for him because he's so generous. It doesn't matter what position he's going to play, we know how he fights for his mates. He's fantastic."
On the title race: "Nothing changes. When we won against Brighton we were two points behind [before the game], now we're four in front. Brighton was a 'final'. We had another 'final' today and we won it. Now we have an opportunity to play a 'final' against Leeds.
"Nothing changes. We have to win all five games to be champions."
Article Reactions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60809982

17:28
More from Jesus
“[It was] a great performance from everyone. We need this. Like against Brighton, the team was brilliant.
“We changed players today, but we kept the same energy. We have many players, and we have to stay at a high level. That is the challenge.
“We know our quality, but the challenge is to keep the energy. We know we can create chances but sometimes it doesn't work.
“It’s difficult, but it’s one of the toughest leagues.”

Posted at 17:2917:29
'Now is the best moment of the season'

Manchester City
Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus to BBC: "It’s amazing, so happy. Sometimes you play so good and don’t score and sometimes it is like this and you score all the chances you have.
"I’m happy it was my day and I’m very happy not just because of the goals but that we got the three points. We did our job.
"Now is the best moment of the season. When you decide the games and win the trophies. That’s what football is for us.
"We want to stay there to arrive at the end of the season fighting for all trophies. Sometimes it is not always like this but we try to do our job.
"We have a strong game on Tuesday so all our focus is now on Real Madrid."
On whether he has earned a start against Real Madrid on Tuesday: “Everyone can play and help. Today was my day, maybe Tuesday again, but maybe another player.
"I’m here to help with the goals of course but sometimes the assists or passes. Everyone wants to play big games. I’m no different.
"We have to work and keep focused, and to recover because Tuesday is going to be a tough game."

17:13
As it stands
City move four points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table, but the Reds can reduce that to one-point again with victory over Everton in the Merseyside derby tomorrow.
Our destiny remains in our own hands, and that is what it’s all about at this stage of the season.
Five more wins and we’ll be champions.
Yes indeed.....I have low hopes for tomorrow.

Last 25 Merseyside derbies have yielded 12 wins for Liverpool ™ failed, 12 draws and 1 win fir Everton.