Manchester City v Wolves - 8pm Tues 24th Oct - League Cup Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Wolves - 8pm Tues 24th Oct - League Cup Preview and MDT

Skoorb

Alert Team
Preview

City complete their mini-sequence of 4 consecutive home games on Tuesday when the leaders of the Championship, Wolverhampton Wanderers, visit the Etihad for the fourth round tie in the EFL (Carabao) Cup.

Nuno Espirito Santo, appointed as manager of Wolves last May, has taken his new side to the top of the Championship and has an impressive overall win record of 75% - P16 W12 D2 L2. So far this season they have netted 24 times in the league but have conceded 13 times - something which will give encouragement to the free scoring City players.

The 43 year old Portuguese former player has managed in both Portugal and Spain delivering some success at both Rio Ave F.C. & Valencia but was relieved of his duties at Porto after a single season in charge which ended devoid of silverware. Seems a bit harsh. He has clearly settled in well in the Black Country and his Wolves side will present tough opponents for Pep’s charges.

In the last six meetings between the clubs stretching back to 2009 the record stays a P6 W5 D0 L1 in City’s favour with the single defeat coming at Molineux under Mancini in 2010. In terms of goals scored City lead with 18 to Wolves’ 8 across these six fixtures. City have won each of the last 4 encounters which included a 3-1 victory the last time the sides met in the league at the Etihad in October 2011 despite losing Vincent Kompany to a red card in the 74th minute.

City overcame stiff resistance from a stubborn and well organised Burnley last weekend to continue their excellent form and match the club recored of 11 consecutive victories. With Sergio Aguero matching Eric Brook’s 77 year old record as leading club goal scorer last Saturday who would put odds on the Argentinian further enhancing his status as a club legend by surpassing that tally on Tuesday? His services may be retained but I expect most City fans are expecting some significant shuffling of personnel to give some of the squad a brief respite in a challenging sequence of games which include away ties against Tony Penis’s knuckle draggers followed by a trip to Napoli in the Champions League before Arsenal fetch up at the Etihad.

There are plenty of games for everyone and although no one wants to see the club’s excellent form come to an end, everyone knows that the Carabao Cup is the lowest priority on Pep Guardiola’s & the owner’s radar so if you are going to rotate some players and risk a ‘blip’, then this fixture has to be it. Pep has hinted at Zinchenko slotting in at left back and we might expect to see run outs for Bravo, Danilo, Mangala as well as a start for Toure and Gundogan. Sterling will doubtless be itching to get back to the action after not featuring against Burnley.

That said it would be fabulous to break a couple of records on Tuesday evening and despite any changes that Pep may make the individual talents and collective abilities of the City squad should have enough in the tank to get the job done. It is a knockout cup game and Wolves will probably come with a ‘nothing to lose’ approach which should help to make the game more open - something which usually helps City.

Are you up for the cup?

Come on City!!!

Opponent to watch

Diogo Jota - the 20 year old Portuguese attacking midfielder has already netted 7 times for Wolves so will need careful shackling.

Match Officials

Referee - tbc
Assistants - tbc
Fourth Official - tbc

Stats** comparison:-

City (Premier League)

Goals per game - 3.6
Avg Possesion - 65.5%
Pass Accuracy - 89.2%
Shots per game - 18.9
Discipline - 16Y, 2R

Wolves (Championship)

Goals per game - 1.8
Avg Possesion - 51.8%
Pass Accuracy - 80%
Shots per game - 13.5
Discipline - 18Y, 1R

**Stats courtesy of Whoscored.com

Team News

City are without Mendy and Vincent Kompany

Wolves will be missing Helder Costa, Carl Ikeme & Phil Ofusu-Ayeh.

Potential starting XI, subs & formation

Bravo

Danilo, Stones, Mangala, Zinchenko

Toure, Gundogan, Delph

Sterling, Aguero, Silva B

Subs:-

Muric, Otamendi, Walker, Diaz, Fernandinho, Sane, Jesus

an awful lot of fans i have spoken to, are going to miss this match, the cost of so many games at home on the bounce has hit the pockets hard and even though City have lowered the entry fee for this game, fans feel that Pep will play a much weakened team

I'm expecting a line up similar to Skoorb's, just as I did against Burnley, but we were both wrong.
Here, the only possible difference I might have is Sane for Delph.
I know that means Sterling and Sane are getting more game time than expected, and there's a chance of over playing them, but both did feature in the last round against WBA.
It's still a strong bench as well, and I also think D Silva and KDB will get a night off. We'll see.

If you drop someone like Sané it affects his game, he plays better the more games he plays, but he may well, rotate Sterling, Sané and Bernardo. Giving Ferna a break with Gundogan and Touré.

That left back is a worry and much as Delph is a nominal left back, he does need a stand in and Mangala isn't it or he would have been in the team before now.

I think they will Hal, but he would certainly want to get some legs into all the fringe players, only where we don't have any replacements will be the normal starters.

Buzz Lightyear - 22/10/2017 16:22

If you drop someone like Sané it affects his game, he plays better the more games he plays, but he may well, rotate Sterling, Sané and Bernardo. Giving Ferna a break with Gundogan and Touré.

That left back is a worry and much as Delph is a nominal left back, he does need a stand in and Mangala isn't it or he would have been in the team before now.

Ordinarily you would love to keep a winning side together but the high intensity and the frequency of the games (especially the recent run) coupled with the upcoming fixtures means that something has to give and it is either resting some or risking injury/burnout. I do agree that getting a run of games really helps players settle and deliver their best.

Highlights on Channel 5 at 10.30pm

There are no prizes for guessing which team’s fixture has been selected for live coverage. Again. :013:

I hope Delph isn't in the starting XI, we need to keep him in bubble wrap until January, at least.

Hoping to see Tosin and Diaz feature too.

I would like to see as many of our 'first team' players rested as possible. I thought we looked a bit mentally and physically knackered at the weekend.

No-one has mentioned Foden; is he out on loan or something? 'Cos I'd definitely give him a run-out. Also Tosin, Diaz and Zinchenko.

Skoorb - 23/10/2017 06:37

Highlights on Channel 5 at 10.30pm

There are no prizes for guessing which team’s fixture has been selected for live coverage. Again. :013:

i wonder if you can get odds on whoever Stretford get in the FA Cup 3rd round, it will be shown on TV as it happens?

Get your tin hats out, The media might just start shelling us the minute the final whistle blows - disrespecting the League Cup.

I don't think that can be thrown at us over the last few seasons. We've gone pretty strong in the cups.

My 17 as of last night
Bravo, Danilo, Zinchenko, Stones, Mangala, Gundogan, Toure, B Silva, Sterling, Sane, Aguero

Walker, Adarabioyo, Fernie, Delph, B Diaz, G Jesus

Match officials -

Referee:- Kevin Friend
Assistant Referees:- Adrian Holmes, Derek Eaton
Fourth Official:- Michael Jones

Spot on Buzz - Tine hats at the ready. I miss the Tin Hat emoticon :093:

In the light of Pep's comment....

Bravo, Danilo, Adarabioyo, Mangala, Zinchenko, Toure, Gundogan, Garcia......

......and then I run out of idea with Foden away with England U17s and Diaz injured unless he counts Sterling and Jesus as 'new' players as they were on the bench against Burnley and even then I'm one short........

Maybe he will draft in some from the EDS?

On the bench - Muric, Otamendi, Stones, Silva B, Aguero, Sane, Silva D?

:007: