Manchester City v Southampton - Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City v Southampton - Post Match Thread

Skoorb

Alert Team
Manchester City 0 Southampton 0
City Line-up

Ederson, Walker, Dias, Ake, Cancelo, Fernandinho ©*, Gundogan, Bernardo***, Grealish, Jesus**, Sterling

Subs: Carson, *de Bruyne, Torres, Mahrez**, Foden***, Mbete, Palmer, Lavia, Wilson-Esbrand

City Goals - 0
City Assists - 0

FT Stats
Possession
City 64% Southampton 36%
Corners
City 8 Southampton 5
Offsides
City 4 Southampton 0
Fouls
City 5 Southampton 12
Cards
City 0 Y Southampton 2 Y
On Target
City 1 Southampton 2
Off Target
City 8 Southampton 2
Goalkeeper saves
City 2 Southampton 1
Total Passes
City 551 Southampton 314
Completed Passes
City 481 Southampton 236

Stats courtesy MCFC OS & FlashScore UK

A draw moves City up to second in the Premier League, three points behind Liverpool, who beat Crystal Palace 3-0.

However, we could drop down the table by the end of this round of fixtures. Manchester United, Chelsea, Everton, Brighton and Hove Albion and Tottenham Hotspur could all leapfrog us if they take all three points in their games.

A draw moves City up to second in the Premier League, three points behind Liverpool, who beat Crystal Palace 3-0.

However, we could drop down the table by the end of this round of fixtures. Manchester United, Chelsea, Everton, Brighton and Hove Albion and Tottenham Hotspur could all leapfrog us if they take all three points in their games.
:(

Long way to go yet. Hasenhutl drills his team well and agains the Champions they raise their game.

Good to learn that the crowd were singing “We’re glad all over, we’ve got Guardiola” from the off :clap: Time to put this unseemly spat to bed and move on. There are more important things to attend to.

Phil Foden gives his verdict…

"I thought I won it at the end there with the goal, but VAR ruled it out, on another day we come away with the three points," he reflected.

"Southampton made it difficult for us today. We just need to move on from it and look forward to the next game.

"Every Premier League game is very physical, we can still take positives from the game.

"We didn't give up till the end and we gave everything. We need to keep that mentality into the next games."

A frustrating afternoon, and I can confirm the points made in the MDT about our sloppy play overall.

When we did pull our finger out, there were some lovely flowing moves that were just short of the final pass or touch on goal, but that was all too rare today.

Fernie, in particular, had a mare today, and gave me the impression of showing his age against a mobile Southampton midfield.

Southampton were excellent at wasting time and breaking up play, but they also defended superbly, so fair play to them for that.

As Mrs Moneybags said to me on the way home, but for VAR we would've been down to ten, and, in all probability, losing 1-0.

As with the disallowed goal, the amount of time taken over it suggested things were close, so it was a relief Moss decided to overturn his original decision.

Last time out, we saw our cousin; this time we saw Mrs M's bro in law, son, and grandson prior to kick off, and afterwards we saw old friends as well (mother and daughter) who gave us the good news about becoming a grandmother and great-grandmother a couple of days ago. Best bit of the day!

Take the point and move on to the next game.

I have to say that the reversal of the penalty/red card was a surprise. As Mrs Colin stated - that could have been 0-1, ten men and zero points.

The VAR decision at the end, sad as it is to say, was probably correct - Sterling’s right boot was offside.

I remember a game under Mancini in the title winning season against Sunderland - we were losing 1-3 and clawed our way back to secure a draw with goals from Baloteli and Kolarov. Without that point the heroics of May 13th would have been irrelevant.

We don’t know what this single point means yet - there is a long way to go.

Too many players not at the races today, giving the ball away. The mid-week game played a part and in the end we were lucky to get a point.

I have to say that the reversal of the penalty/red card was a surprise. As Mrs Colin stated - that could have been 0-1, ten men and zero points.

The VAR decision at the end, sad as it is to say, was probably correct - Sterling’s right boot was offside.

I remember a game under Mancini in the title winning season against Sunderland - we were losing 1-3 and clawed our way back to secure a draw with goals from Baloteli and Kolarov. Without that point the heroics of May 13th would have been irrelevant.

We don’t know what this single point means yet - there is a long way to go.

Just to confirm, Skoorb - as I've been dubbed Mr Moneybags by Bama, Mrs M is my sister, in case the impression given is I've added to the numbers in my household :thumbup:

Having seen the MoTD highlights on the big screen I am going to do a VAR and reverse my earlier judgements.

The decision to not award the penalty and rescind Walker’s red card was correct IMO - Long actually makes contact with Walker first so I do not think it is a foul by Kyle and so no pen/red card.

Sterling’s foot is IMO level with the line drawn by VAR - this business of the ball of his foot to a toe being over the line is pants and so I think the goal was good.

The decision NOT to send off the Southampton Player for his studs up challenge on Sterling in th 85th minute was an error IMO. That tackle clearly endnagered an opponent and he should have gone. Not sure whether at that late stage it would have made a material difference - who can tell.

Overall though it is better that the officials are FINALLY going to check the monitor themselves more often……just as they had been doing All over Europe since VAR was introduced.