Manchester City v Real Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Real Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread

Pep: 'A fantastic game for both sides'
Pep Guardiola's verdict:

"It was a fantastic game for both sides. We did many good things. Unfortunately we conceded goals and we could not score more. But two games and we have another one in one week.

Pep: 'We go to Madrid to try to win the game'
More from the boss:

"We played a fantastic game against an incredible team. The moments where they rise and come back into the game in the first half I think we gave them as our build-up was so nervous.

"Normally we are so safe and so good. Also they press really good and strong. All around the world and for Manchester City, we are so proud.

"But it is about reaching the final and sometimes football happens. We go to Madrid to try to win the game."

More from the boss:
"We went out of the Champions League to Tottenham when Llorente with the hand. Today it is a hand for Laporte. It happens. All we can do is perform as we perform. The quality of Real Madrid is such they can punish you. What we have done with the ball and without the ball, creating chances and chances and chances I can't ask anything else. I say to the players to rest. Leeds now is the most important thing and we go to Madrid to win. Both teams want to attack and have the quality to play. Football is a fantastic spectacle. Congratulations to Carlo and his team as they are so good. At the same time, we saw ourselves that we can be there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/57740786

A great game, but a feeling of what if? at full time.

We should've had more goals, and wasted several chances, plus a little bit of bad luck.
A fantastic start, but maybe too good? Jesus was superb tonight, and took his goal brilliantly, but the point was made about Ederson in the MDT - he was poor tonight with his distribution.
I think we're quite capable of going over there and scoring, the first goal will be vital. Madrid have got three goals out of virtually nowhere, but two of them were well taken.
I thought it would be close, but not 4-3 close. We've paid the price of letting them pull us back quickly after restoring a two goal lead.
At least we take the lead with us over there, but you have to think how much it may've taken out of us for Leeds on Saturday, but we'll see where we are then.

Keep the faith!

We should've had more goals, and wasted several chances, plus a little bit of bad luck.
A fantastic start, but maybe too good? Jesus was superb tonight, and took his goal brilliantly, but the point was made about Ederson in the MDT - he was poor tonight with his distribution.
I think we're quite capable of going over there and scoring, the first goal will be vital. Madrid have got three goals out of virtually nowhere, but two of them were well taken.
I thought it would be close, but not 4-3 close. We've paid the price of letting them pull us back quickly after restoring a two goal lead.
At least we take the lead with us over there, but you have to think how much it may've taken out of us for Leeds on Saturday, but we'll see where we are then.

Keep the faith!
It was a hot mess, but an ugly win is still a win. Let's pray for health in our defense.

That about sums up how I feel this morning

However I post this to highlight how often in the past teams have taken multiple goal leads from their home leg only to suffer a complete turnaround in the reverse fixture as a (small) comfort that big leads going into the away leg is not always as much of a guarantee that one might hope for. So the slim lead might be a guard against complacency.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...774865cf-1000--greatest-second-leg-comebacks/

It is likely to be a bumpy ride next week because RM will not sit back at the Bernebeu roared on by their fans…….we MUST be more clinical though. And stop being sloppy in possession.

Right……time to make an appointment to get a pace maker fitted…..:wheelchair:

Well, thought it would be a good game. Will we go through.
Of course we will play in a City Dippers final.
Doubtless Villareal will be hyped up as The Best Team in Spain and the Whole of Europe before that game kicks off. Oh and wait for Klipperty moan about them playing at lunchtime on Saturday whilst City get an ‘extra day’s rest’ (he has such a selective memory).

Keep the faith!
How was did that ‘European Night of Football‘ compare to others you have experienced at the Etihad Colin? Are we (as a home crowd) finally getting the hang of these type of matches?

That about sums up how I feel this morning

However I post this to highlight how often in the past teams have taken multiple goal leads from their home leg only to suffer a complete turnaround in the reverse fixture as a (small) comfort that big leads going into the away leg is not always as much of a guarantee that one might hope for. So the slim lead might be a guard against complacency.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...774865cf-1000--greatest-second-leg-comebacks/

It is likely to be a bumpy ride next week because RM will not sit back at the Bernebeu roared on by their fans…….we MUST be more clinical though. And stop being sloppy in possession.

Right……time to make an appointment to get a pace maker fitted…..:wheelchair:

Skoorb, that is a good point, this slender lead will keep out feet firmly on the ground rather than a big lead which can lead to complacency

At times like this I look back and console myself with the thought of this memory....

https://mancity.com/news/mens/city-dna-york-63723059

If we can be disappointed at going toe to toe and defeating the runaway leaders of La Liga, 13 times winners of the Champions League and renowned European club Real Madrid then it is a measure of just how far we have travelled in those 23+ years. Losing to York City in the third tier of English football left City in their lowest position ever in the club's history (yes, we have one). We have come a long way and the journey continues.

Cone on City!!!!!