Manchester City v Real Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Real Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread

How was did that ‘European Night of Football‘ compare to others you have experienced at the Etihad Colin? Are we (as a home crowd) finally getting the hang of these type of matches?

My record stands at 24 games, 16 wins, 8 draws. Not bad.
The UEFA 'anthem' got the usual reception, but I noticed that it died away about three-quarters through to be replaced by a continual chant of 'City, City'.
I think the only other atmosphere that's comparable is the ill-fated quarter final tie against Spurs - there were tense spells, others when it was "quiet" as you absorbed what was happening on the field last night, but, make no mistake, we're in this one for the return :thumbup:

They are not the only ones. Just a glance at the BBC football page and it's the penalty for the losing team that is the story not the quality of goals scored by the Premier League champions.

Oh and note the bleating tone of the article on rearranged fixtures which majors on poor Liverpool ™failed playing twice in the final week of the season whilst buried in the lower half is the mention that City have three games in seven days.

Institutional bias at its best

BBC News - Premier League title race: Liverpool & Man City rearranged fixtures announced
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61240664

I saw on the Blue Moon forum the comment that Tuesday morning on TalkSport was Real Madrid radio.

We always listen to Radio Manchester before and after the game, and the programme finishes at 10pm.

Usually switch over to TalkSport to fill time as it normally takes an age to get off the club car park, but, last night we got away quite quickly.

It was noticeable all the replays of the goals were the Madrid ones - 'Yes, they did' was the reply I got off my sister to my observation.

KippaxBlue's report on the astonishing home leg of the semi final:-

Real Madrid 4-3
An amazing game with City going into the second leg of this Champions League semi final with a single goal lead. City made 4 changes from the Watford win. Stones, Foden, Benardo Silva and Mahrez returning.​

We had an amazing start to the match. Mahrez came inside and crossed to a diving De Bruyne despite the attentions of a defender and the ball hit the back of the net and City were a goal up in under two minutes. Incredible!
It got even better on ten minutes when Foden did well on the left wing -passed to De Bruyne and his low cross reached Jesus who turned and shot past the keeper to give City a two goal lead - amazing !​

It should have been three on 26 minutes when Mahrez shot into the side netting instead of passing to unmarked Foden. Pep was fuming on the touchline!​

On 28 minutes Foden just missed scoring following a good pass by De Bruyne and then a couple of minutes later Zinchenko shot just wide. Then came a disaster. The ever dangerous Benzema scored a very good goal from a cross by Mendy. Shortly after Ederson had to make a save from Rodrygo and a header by Militao went over the bar from the corner. Then came another blow for City when Stones had to be subbed by Fernandinho. Obviously his previous injury had returned and with City's lack of right backs on came Fernandinho who normally would not be an obvious substitute!​

Just before half time City got a free kick near the penalty area but De Bruyne's shot was blocked so at the break City led 2-1.​

Two minutes into the second half City should have made it three! Mahrez broke and hit the post with a shot . Foden hit the rebound first time but alas his effort was blocked. Then Rodri has a go but his shot is blocked.​

On 53 minutes Foden scored with a header from a cross by Fernandinho - yes - Fernandinho dashed down the right and put in a terrific cross. Three one to City but alas the score did not last for long as a couple of minutes later Vinicious dashed down the left wing and slotted the ball past Ederson to make it 3-2 . Oh dear no Walker on the pitch to catch him up!​

On 67 minutes Zinchenko crossed and Laporte who had come forward had a chance but shot straight at the keeper.​

Then on 73 minutes Zinchenko who was having a good game was fouled on the edge of the area but just before the referee blew for a free kick Benardo Silva managed to get the ball and fired into the net and it was 4-2 - Wonderful !
A few minutes later Mahrez had a chance but alas he shot just wide.​

On 80 minutes disaster struck when a free kick taken by Kroos hit Laporte's arm which alas was too high and a penalty was given for hand ball! Benzema took the kick and with Ederson diving to his left Benzema clipped it down the middle to make it 4-3​