Manchester City v Liverpool FC- KO- 15:30 GMT Saturday 16th April 2022- Emirates FA Cup Semi Final Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Liverpool FC- KO- 15:30 GMT Saturday 16th April 2022- Emirates FA Cup Semi Final Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Float Like a Butterfly Sting Like a Bee
You wait for decades for semi-finals to come along and then all of a sudden two come along all at once. We have just about managed to get out of Madrid on the winning side but we have taken causalities, with Phil Foden taking an elbow in the head requiring stiches, Kyle Walker says of his injury, that he hopes it is nothing serious and Kevin De Bruyne ended up on the bench with an icepack on his shin, which I think he picked up with one of many tackles during the game. On top of that a tough night in Madrid and then from The League match to an FA Cup semi- final against the same team Liverpool™failed, who were able to select their fringe players against a Benfica side where the tie had been decided in the first leg. The game is being broadcast free to air by the BBC the (another anti City media channel) (for those who have a TV licence). Over on the Official site www.mancity.com. There in the Match Day Centre will be City legends Steve Howey and Joleon Lescott.
City Team News
We will not know until later this week how serious the damage was from the fallout in Madrid. It means at the moment doubtful are Phil Foden, Kyle Walker and Kevin De Bruyne with Cole Palmer getting better but we do have Ruben Dias back in training.

Do I go with my Head or my Heart?
Steffen
Cancelo Stones Laporte Ake
Fernandinho Gundogan Bernardo
Mahrez Grealish Sterling

images

Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistant Referees: Stuart Burt and Simon Bennett
Fourth Official: Kevin Friend
VAR: Darren England
AVAR: Lee Betts
Reserve Assistant Referee: Marc Perry

Next
Premier League Weds 20th April 20:00
Manchester City v Brighton

Last edited:
Today marks the 33rd anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster which cost the lives of 97 fans of Liverpool FC as they were crushed in the overcrowded terraces at the home of Sheffield Wednesday before their fa cup semi final against Notts Forest.

Doubtless this is part of a longer interview to be screened today I expect in the build up to the game…….but my answer is “No, Jack….stick to the principles you express and continue to take the joy from assists if a team mate is in a better position”. Ensuring that the TEAM scores Is the best option.

Man City v Liverpool: Maybe I need to be more selfish - Jack Grealish https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61109862

(oh, and btw to whoever it is interviewing him…..leave Pep alone. He is who he is. If he spent the entire 90+ minutes laid back in his seat in the dugout you’d be saying “Why isn’t he more animated and involved” so like most ‘never have to pick the team‘ hacks you can :finger:)

Love this quote from Pep -

“Always I have the feeling we arrive one and half months to the end of the season and we are in two semi-finals in the FA Cup and Champions League.

“We are top of the Premier League and in two semis. It is so great.”
No moaning about the fixture list, no complaints about injuries to key players just an appreciation of still in contention in 3 competitions in the final weeks of the season. :tophat:

Compared to where we have come from (Dec 1998 & a dark night in York….) and what might have been this is something we can all appreciate.

Commentary By John Edwards @https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/manchester-city-v-liverpool-fa-cup-semi-final/

Injury news
We’ll find out today’s teams in half an hour’s time and, whilst Diogo Jota is the only injury doubt for Liverpool, it remains to be seen how Wednesday’s bruising encounter with Atletico Madrid will affect City’s line-up.

Pep Guardiola said he would make a late decision on Kevin De Bruyne and Kyle Walker, who both picked up knocks against Atleti, and the same applies to Ruben Dias, who trained for the first time since suffering a hamstring injury in the fifth round win over Peterborough.

KDB there and Gundogan not dressed the same as the others, could be very good news there, but then if he does play they will target KDB legs early doors so they will get off Scot free as Refs bottle early challenges

Pep Guardiola preview
“Semi-finals of the FA Cup are always hard, against this side. Even with the top players fit and rested.

“We are incredibly happy to be here. We are going to try and perform well against Liverpool which is not easy. We will try to do our game.

“We are top of the league and in two semi-finals. It is so great. Now, we have to feel like we are not satisfied. It is not enough.”

Commentary By John Edwards @
14:26
Jurgen Klopp: It's an intense fight
"I'm really looking forward to the game. Wembley is a big pitch, so we have to cover a lot of grass, to run a lot, to close big gaps and all these kinds of things, but I think it will be cool.
“We know about the quality of City, we don't have to mention it all the time, but everybody knows it anyway.
“It's a really intense fight on a really high level. The concentration levels the boys have to bring on the pitch is insane.””

XI: Steffen, Cancelo, Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, Fernandinho (C), Bernardo, Foden, Jesus, Sterling, Grealish.

SUBS: Ederson, Dias, Gundogan, Laporte, Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Delap, Lavia.

Team news
Kevin De Bruyne and Ruben Dias are among the substitutes, but Kyle Walker misses out completely as Pep Guardiola makes seven changes from Wednesday’s goalless draw against Atletico Madrid.

Zack Steffen, Nathan Ake, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Jack Grealish, Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus all come into the starting XI.

They replace Ederson, Aymeric Laporte, Rodrigo, Ilkay Gundogan, Riyad Mahrez, Walker and De Bruyne.

Dias is back in the matchday squad for the first time in eight games after recovering from a hamstring injury, whilst De Bruyne is fit enough to be included despite suffering a knock in Madrid.

Walker was also an injury concern following that game and has not been risked at Wembley.

XI: Steffen, Cancelo, Stones, Ake, Zinchenko, Fernandinho (C), Bernardo, Foden, Jesus, Sterling, Grealish.

SUBS: Ederson, Dias, Gundogan, Laporte, Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Mahrez, Delap, Lavia.