Manchester City v Brighton and Hove Albion Wednesday 20th April 2022 - 20:00 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Brighton and Hove Albion Wednesday 20th April 2022 - 20:00 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Normal Service Will Be Resumed As Soon As Possible
I don't think we should be too disappointed, because had we played Kevin when not 100% and he was injured as a result then that would be a bigger error. The lads needed a rest and it normally takes 25 minutes to get used to the changes made by Pep however it was a gamble that did not pay off.
On Wednesday Graham Potter brings his Brighton team to the Etihad, a much respected coach in the game but not so far given the chance to shine with one of the more successful teams, but he has done well and they can surprised the supposed better teams, so we have to be back on track to keep on top of the pile.
In the match day Centre on the Official Site mancity.com Nedum Onuoha and Michael Brown will address the game and how they see the outcome.
I don't think there is much doubt that all our games are now must wins.

City Team News
Cole Palmer and Kyle Walker remain doubtful, while Kevin De Bruyne and Ruben Dias will come into contention for a place, I also think most of us agree that Cancelo is better on the left than he is on the right, but will Pep Guardiola see it that way if Kyle walker does not make it. We expect Ederson and Laporte to return to the team along with Rodri, but as always you never know what Pep has plans for Wednesday evening.

Possible Starters
Ederson

Cancelo Stones Laporte Zinchenko
Rodri, De Bruyne Bernardo
Mahrez Jesus Foden

Match Officials
Referee: Mike Dean.
Assistants: Darren Cann, Eddie Smart.
Fourth official: Robert Jones.
VAR: Chris Kavanagh. Assistant VAR: Neil Davies.

Next
City v Watford

Premier League Saturday 23rd April 15:00 BST

Last edited:
Pep Guardiola has confirmed that Kyle Walker will be unavailable for Wednesday’s return to Premier League action at home to Brighton.

MEN'S TEAM
City v Brighton: Notable Premier League stats and facts

However, the City boss says he will make a final decision on the fitness of Kevin De Bruyne, Ilkay Gundogan and Ruben Dias ahead of the game.
Walker, De Bruyne and Gundogan all picked up knocks in the course of what was a demanding Champions League quarter-final second leg win against Atletico Madrid last week.
City v Brighton: Guardiola's team news update (mancity.com)

The match against Watford is definitely showing at 09:30hrs on Sunday morning. Obviously a toss up whether it will feature as Game of the Day (8:30pm) or the Premier League Replay (10:30pm) programmes.

btw Brighton are on my sh*t list after they deliberately set about us in that defeat after we won the league. Especially that awful foul on Gundogan that could easily have ended his career. Bastards. :punch:

Early team news
Today’s line-ups will be released in 30 minutes time, but we do already have an idea of who is and isn’t available after the managers’ media briefings earlier this week.

Pep Guardiola confirmed at his pre match press conference that full-back Kyle Walker was still unavailable for selection due to the ankle injury he sustained at Atletico Madrid last week.

The boss also revealed that he would monitor the fitness and availability of Kevin De Bruyne, Ilkay Gundogan and Ruben Dias today before finalising his selection.

De Bruyne and Gundogan were not risked against Liverpool on Saturday because of respective foot and knee issues while Dias hasn’t played since returning to training after seven weeks out with a hamstring injury.

Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma begins a two-game ban after accumulating 10 yellow cards.

Steven Alzate could come back into contention after missing the win at Tottenham through illness.

Pep Guardiola says he knows he can count on a resurgent Ruben Dias with the Portuguese defender back in the mix after seven weeks out:

“Ruben can perfectly handle the lack of time playing for seven weeks.

“He can handle it perfectly. The other ones need step-by-step minutes.

“I think for seven weeks he went to bed at 10pm up at 7am, lunchtime at 3pm every day.

“He was in the gym and the pool. That’s why in his mind he says he is OK.

“I would say it doesn't depends on the position (when he is ready), it depends on the player.”

Nathan Ake on coping with pressure
City's Dutch defender has been in superb form of late and says he is revelling as the race for silverware hots up:

“I enjoy it, 100 per cent.

“The way Liverpool is playing at the moment and the way we are playing at the moment is just an enjoyment. I am happy to be a part of it and we just have to make sure we get trophies for it.

“Up until now it has been a very good season, but we haven’t got a trophy, so we have to make sure we finish the season well.”

CITY XI: Ederson, Cancelo, Stones, Laporte, Aké, Rodrigo, Gündogan (C), De Bruyne, Foden, Bernardo Silva, Mahrez

Substitutes: Steffen, Dias, Sterling, Jesus, Grealish, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Palmer, Lavia

Options aplenty for City - Onuoha
Nedum Onuoha on tonight's attacking options:

"I think the beauty of having the players out there is that they can rotate between them and false nines, anyone can play there -Phil Foden can