Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

villahibs

Vital Youth Team
Probably been spoken about elsewhere.. however! Do we know if any of the boys have been really ill with COVID? Were the positive ones asymptomatic? Are we all just isolating because that’s the guidelines and we’ll be at full strength on Wednesday? I know we are supposed to be back at it over the weekend.. do we know where we are fitness wise though?

EDIT by JPA: moved this from the score prediction thread and started a match thread for Weds :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deano said in his interview on the OS that 9 players have had it but didn't say who , all that he said was that 3 of the positive cases were pencilled in to play Liverpool , so were they some of the regular substitutes ? Who knows ?

Trezeguet is the only player who has confirmed he tested positive for the virus to my knowledge. No idea who else did or how badly effected they’ve been

Not exactly the best preparation against a side who can rip anyone apart. A draw would be an absolutely brilliant result in this one

Last edited:
I've gone for a 4-1 defeat purely on the basis of a lack of match fitness and the likelihood that a few of our best players could be missing if they have had a heavy dose of covid.

Trezeguet is the only player who has confirmed he tested positive for the virus to my knowledge. No idea who else did or how badly effected they’ve been

Not exactly the best preparation against a side who can rip anyone apart. A draw would be an absolutely brilliant result in the one
Yep, I'll take a draw to be honest.

Bit if a free hit, all things considered. They are coming into form and trying to chase down United, Liverpool, Leicester, etc. We've been ravaged by covid and not played for 3 weeks.

A poit would be brilliant but I am expecting us to lose this one in truth.

Man City ladies beat our ladies team 7-0 today.

Junior 1 was laughing earlier at something on his phone . I asked him and he was watching the first half of the game.

I watched a bit . It was farcical I have to say. Dreadful standard from us.

Onto the game .

Give a good account of ourselves given the opponents and the build up we have had is all i want and could reasonably expect.

Man City ladies beat our ladies team 7-0 today.

GULP !!!
We'll have to strap some balls on and play them again then! It'll be a tough one and hard to call because we don't know the Covid and fitness situation. We could have a full strength and well rested XI for all we know.

Also, hard to know which City is going to show up for any given game. I've seen them play terribly and also seen glimpses of the City we all saw 2 or 3 years ago at times.

I was reading an article somewhere today that suggested Targett and Jack were 2 of the players who were ill. They had based this theory on the fact Targett had transferred himself and super Jack out of his fantasy team!
Sounds like nonsense but apparently Bamford did the same with the Leeds keeper the other day.

I'd hardly expect Dean Smith to play his cards on who's fit until an hour before kick-off for these reasons below.

1, He needs to see who's fully fit after the squad was hit with this Covid virus.

2, Keep City guessing so as not to make it any easier for them!

I'm certainly more confident than when we played them last season so come on you Villa boys.

Last edited:
I think we are a good side now , but it's a tall order to go there and expect to get something from the game.

Having said that this team has constantly surprised us this season.

Probably a bit optimistic to expect us to do a Liverpool on them. But maybe my 3-0 to us prediction is a bit on the cautious side.