Manchester City - Newcastle United Post Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Newcastle United Post Match Thread

After Foden scores Zinchenko and Rodri appears to be having some kind of intense/serious exchange of views about……:shrug:……..would love to know what to was about. Anyone any idea?

It looked like Cancelo to me, Skoorb.
"I hold my hands up, Joao...I was shooting, and your assist was better than mine...." :grinning: :thumbup:

The good news is that Zinchenko was a bit more Cancelo like in his roll as left wing back/midfielder providing more chances and crosses than ever before, he had a good game.

Ake was not used because he was not fully fit, but Fernandinho did a fine job with his experience.

Grealish arguably had the best game in a City shirt and looked like he knew exactly what his role was.

Sterlings appears to be back on form

we now have a better goal difference which if managed well could be worth a point.

The Bad News is that we made a lot of defensive and silly passing errors that could on another day been disastrous

We are down to the bare bones in terms of defenders and may well have to use two left footed CB's for the rest of the season.

have I missed anything?

The view of KippaxBlue:-
Newcastle 5-0

First of all many thanks to Spurs who held Liverpool to a draw at Anfield on Saturday giving City a great chance to really get ahead in the title race. City made several changes with Foden, Mahrez and Benardo dropping to the bench. Walker was injured.​

On 8 minutes City were lucky when Wood headed straight at Ederson from a cross. It was a good chance. A minute or so later at the other end Laporte had a chance following a corner but he shot too high from a pass from De Bruyne. Then shortly after Cancelo shot over from a Kevin cross.​
However on 18 minutes City took the lead. A pass from Gundogan found Cancelo who passed with a header to Sterling who headed into the net from close range. One nil to City!​
Newcastle did get the ball into the net 5 minutes later but it was disallowed for offside. Phew!​
A minute or so later Cancelo had a shot well saved by the keeper as City put on the pressure.​
They got their reward on 38 minutes. Gundogan took a shot following a corner and the keeper failed to hold the ball. After a Dias effort was blocked there was Laporte to crack the ball into the net - two nil and back to the top!​
It was a bit of a surprise when we saw Fernandinho come on for Dias after half time.​
On 60 minutes City won yet another corner and a great cross by De Bruyne was brilliantly headed home by Rodri at the near post. Three nil and game over!​
Foden then came on for Jesus and this was followed by good efforts by Cancelo and Zinchenko. Ex City academy player Trippier came on for Newcastle. He went on to play for Burnley and Spurs. He was a regular in City reserve team but never really made the first team.​
On 82 minutes Ederson had to make a good save from Wilson and with only a few minutes to go Laporte was replaced by Egan-Riley who was making his Premiership debut.​
On 90 minutes Grealish went charging down the left wing and passed to Zinchenko who gave the ball to Foden who made no mistake and and it was four nil to City. Great stuff!​
Surely that was it - oh no - Grealish did well again down the left - passed to Sterling who made it five nil. Terrific play by City.​