Manchester City-Liverpool FA Cup Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Liverpool FA Cup Post Match Thread

Pep took a gamble and it did not pay off. The hard away CL fixture affected his thinking especially given the underlying theme of the absence of that trophy in the club’s cabinet.

I think it would have if we had managed to get to half-time level, not to be, but stopping Salad from scoring adds to the tension on the guy who is in a goal drought, but the Premier and CL is in our own hands starting Wednesday

I think we are better than them but what we are not good at is making too many changes to the team as it takes time to settle down and get used to who you have around you, when you just change one or two no problem and add to the fact that some of the players brought in have were not match fit having only played a handful of games throughout the season and probably none of them more than three games strung together.

It was a gamble not to risk players when the real prize is still out there.

I am happy that he is going for the real price. But again any overthinking means nothing out there to take it. We are great this season, players are superb and we need some trophy this season to make it memorable for the future

I am happy that he is going for the real price. But again any overthinking means nothing out there to take it. We are great this season, players are superb and we need some trophy this season to make it memorable for the future

I totally agree he has done it on more than one occasion, I think his biggest mistake with no def midfielders in the CL final but in Pep will still trust and come Summer there are a few new faces needed

I totally agree he has done it on more than one occasion, I think his biggest mistake with no def midfielders in the CL final but in Pep will still trust and come Summer there are a few new faces needed
In three games the score was 7-6 to the Dippers, so the sides are very close. The team that Pep picked yesterday was good enough to put us in the final, but we lost by not taking chances and poor defending. We still have 2 pots to play for, and we should take both of them.

The KippaxBlue View:-

Liverpool 2 - 3 FA Cup

A surprising game of two halves with Liverpool first going three up in the first half. Then City came back with a bang and almost leveled the scores in extra time.​

It was a much changed City side following the battle in Spain. Steffen alas came in for Ederson and with Walker off injured Zinchenko came in and Axe moved to central defence in place of Laporte. Fernandinho was skipper replacing Rodri and we had Jesus, Foden Sterling and Grealish up front. Kevin De Bruyne was on the bench as was Mahrez.​

After just three minutes Grealish had a shot which was blocked and then Liverpool put on the pressure forcing a corner after 8 minutes. The height and ability of Konate enabled him to head past Steffen to put Liverpool ahead. Perhaps Ederson might have saved it! City replied with a corner at the other end but little could be seen with all the red smoke from a flare that had been set off. Then real disaster struck 8 minutes later. A simple back pass by Stones to the keeper ended with Steffen failing to control the ball and Mane pounced on the error to easily score and it was two nil to Liverpool.It was a terrible error and it brought into question the City tactic of using the keeper so much when defending.​

Even Ederson has been seen to make the odd error! Anyway it was a gift to Liverpool who were strolling to victory as City were hardly in the game at all with a lack of creativity and hardly a good move or key pass.​

Just before half time it really looked like game over. A good Liverpool move ended with Mane volleying a first time shot into the bottom corner to make it three nil. Perhaps Ederson would have saved that too!​

I bet Pep had something to say at half time and so it was as City started with more punch. A minute or so after the restart Fernandinho made a good pass to Jesus who crossed to a waiting Grealish who whacked the ball home to reduce the arrears. It was a different City in the second half. Both Fernandinho and Mane got yellow cards for different fouls on each other! Then Alisson had to save from Jesus pushing the ball for a corner which alas Foden over hit!
On 82 minutes City got a free kick for a foul on Jesus who was injured and was replaced by Mahrez. We thought Mahrez would take the free kick but alas Sterling put the ball well over the bar.​

There was 4 minutes of added time and on 91 minutes Mahrez shot for goal and when the keeper pushed the ball out there was Benardo Silva on the ball to score and make it 2-3. City bombarded the Liverpool goal and alas Sterling failed to beat the keeper with a final effort. The midweek battle with Atletico had really tired several of the players who had retained their places and Foden in particular was well off his best​