Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread

21:36
'Stones deserves it'
Manchester City 4-0 Crystal Palace

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola to Sky Sports: "We didn't concede, we had to be patient and Palace defended really well. We were so stable, it is an important victory.

"When we handle top teams we are fortunate to have this quality. In the final third when Kevin de Bruyne makes the assist, Ilkay Gundogan and Raheem Sterling put it in the top corner, and John Stones was on fire in the box. It's easy for me when you have these players.

"We try to play the same way we have in the last few seasons and in the back four we don't make mistakes. Lasy year we made a lot.

"Last year was the worst - before we were always solid behind, it is just individual quality. Ruben has helped a lot.

"If there is one player I am more than pleased that everything is going well, it's John Stones. He is playing because he deserves it."

Sky
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (5), Walker (6), Dias (7), Stones (8), Zinchenko (6), De Bruyne (8), Fernandinho (7), Gundogan (7), Sterling (7), Silva (7), Jesus (6).

Subs used: Foden (7), Torres (6), Cancelo (6).

I thought Walker and Jesus 5 were a little on the harsh side fron the MEN but what on earth is Ederson getting marked down for?

It's amazing that thing called confidence and Pep's belief in him has made him a far better player and now striker

I note how Pep is getting zero praise for any contribution to Stonesy's improvement. That would not fit the narrative.

They also have been stripped of the "City's Defensive Woes" talking point :nerner:

21:40
No title race message from Pep

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BBC Sport: "This is through the quality of players, commitment and focus. We struggled the last two seasons to beat them here, we did a fantastic game."

On John Stones' revival: "That belongs to him. If there's one guy who deserves it, it is John, he has struggled for many reasons in the past, it belongs to him how he overcame this.

"It's just minutes for him. He deseves to play, he doesn't make mistakes and he's created a good partnership with Ruben Dias."

Statement in the title race? "I don't want to send any messaages. It is Aston Villa on Wednesday. it is one game at a time. A few weeks ago we were points behind Liverpool and we win a few games and that's what we have to do. Now I will drink a good glass of wine and then think about Aston Villa."

Birthday tomorrow: "I'm up early tomorrow - yes I will drink something, alone because the family is away but it's a good present for the players."

I thought Walker and Jesus 5 were a little on the harsh side fron the MEN but what on earth is Ederson getting marked down for?
I think Walker's 5 is about right but Jesus worked hard all night and Emerson's contribution gets under rated because they only think he is there to make saves. The confidence his ability with his feet give the defense is just ignored.

21:45
'I'm most disappointed with the margin'
FT: Manchester City 4-0 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "In the first half we dealt with them quite well we knew we would be under threat because of the quality they have and they're in excellent form but I didn't feel they were creating chance after chance. We defended well and kept our shape and made life difficult, it fell apart in the second half when we made one or two mistakes and surrendered it a bit too easily. Then they've got their tails up, the goals aren't just any old goals but it's still tough to lose by that margin."

On John Stones and Raheem Sterling: "Very satisfied to see how well Stones and Sterling have developed, Raheem has become an incredible forward and John is really getting chance to show what kind of player he is. I've always believed in him, I've always believed he would turn out to be this kind of player but he could've possibly missed his two goals and made me feel a bit happier still."

On run of form: "We've had two tough games to end the first half of the season, away to Arsenal and here. It would've been naive of me to think we were going to pick up points in those games. What I'm most disappointed about tonight is the margin. At half-time I didn't see us losing by a big margin. I thought we wouldn't get back into the game and we might have to concede defeat but I didn't expect to concede three goals in the second half."

21:47
'Stones had a great evening'

Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson to BBC Sport: "Wilf Zaha always is important so when a player like him is missing you will feel that. He could have stretched them a bit more.

"To be fair I thought our first half perormance was solid but in the second half we made some technical errors which let them in. The goals were wonderful strikes, so we can count ourselves unlucky, but I thought we surrendered those opportunities too easily."

On John Stones: "He had a great evening. We've always known John is a good player and has those good qualities. I guess I should feel happy for him but it's a bit dificult tonight because I'm still smarting from the defeat."

A most satisfying performance to overcome the hard working Palace, they sure missed Wilf. Very pleased that Stones scored a couple and Sterling scored a sublime free kick, this will give both of them a confidence boost. Once we get our noises in front after Villa there will be no stopping us marching on to another title.

A most satisfying performance to overcome the hard working Palace, they sure missed Wilf. Very pleased that Stones scored a couple and Sterling scored a sublime free kick, this will give both of them a confidence boost. Once we get our noises in front after Villa there will be no stopping us marching on to another title.

I cannot say that Palace created any clear cut chances where Wilf would have changed the game and the Pundits did comment on the fact that he(Zaha) was not the type of player to run box to box helping out in defence not being his strongest asset.

I was getting a little embarrassed at the number of times they showed KDB's assist to Stonesy

I totally agree sometimes it appears they are not actually watching the game and in respect of Ederson even though he had no direct shot to save he did keep a clean sheet and which should be a statutory 6 anything less means he had a poor game which is not right in this match

Last edited: