Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Crystal Palace Premier League Post Match Thread

Think Micah is wrong from what I can make out.
I reckon the ball would've passed both Fernie and Wickham (provided Fernie had sorted his feet out).

I agree. Also think Wickham was hands on Fernandinho as they ran into the area which stopped him getting ahead of the attacker.

Gundogan & Bernardo guilty of ball watching for the first Palace goal :shake: Totally switch off their marking duties and only follow the flight of the ball.

Sergio sublime again but his efforts were in vain today. He will be gutted.

Daily Mail player ratings

Ederson 6 Cancelo 6 Stones 5.5 Fernie 6 Mendy 7 De Bruyne 8 Gundogan 6
D Silva 5.5 B Silva 7 Aguero 8.5 Sterling 6

G Jesus 6.5 Mahrez 5.5 Rodri no marking

Referee Graham Scott 6

Stones should probably have closed down Zaha with a quicker tackle before he could cross the ball that hit Fernandinho but might have been afraid of giving away a penalty.
Should have made the tackle though.
Jesus on for Silva and Mahrez for Bernardo?
Thought Foden might have been a goer replacing Sterling who was ineffectual again to my mind.
His dip in form has become an almighty sag.
Pep seems blinkered when it comes to Sterling.
Palace deserved what they got as did we.
Kun and Kev must really wonder at times.

Massively disappointing. Having clawed our way into a lead, not to be able to close out the game effectively marks out a major difference between us and the dippers this season (that, and their huge dollops of luck, good fortune and VAR/official blind spots). Have yet to see any substantive highlights but Ozi’s point about Sterling’s decline in effectiveness is well made and maybe a longer period on the bench watching Foden (or even Jesus) tearing it up on the pitch might focus his mind a bit.

Particularly Bernardo, sucked toward the ball, Tosun was his man.

Yep. Just seen it on a big screen. Bernardo leaves his man completely and just wanders off until he’s standing on the penalty spot as the header is made from the zone he should have been covering :shake:

Yep. Just seen it on a big screen. Bernardo leaves his man completely and just wanders off until he’s standing on the penalty spot as the header is made from the zone he should have been covering :shake:
You cannot afford to relax when the opposition is in dangerous areas, I wonder how many times we have conceded from counter attacks, we have done it on many occasions but we need to be able to close games down once we had the lead with the game time running out.

You cannot afford to relax when the opposition is in dangerous areas, I wonder how many times we have conceded from counter attacks, we have done it on many occasions but we need to be able to close games down once we had the lead with the game time running out.

Too many. These lapses of concentration have hit us hard. I cannot help thinking that VvD would not have allowed Zaha to get that cross in for their equaliser. Stones was just not strong or dominant enough.

That said Cancelo was well out of position when the ball broke in the first place. Our biggest problem has often been not preventing these attacks in the first place - stopping them at source.

Too many. These lapses of concentration have hit us hard. I cannot help thinking that VvD would not have allowed Zaha to get that cross in for their equaliser. Stones was just not strong or dominant enough.

That said Cancelo was well out of position when the ball broke in the first place. Our biggest problem has often been not preventing these attacks in the first place - stopping them at source.

I think they know they are not in with a chance of defending the title and don't put as much effort as they would if they were right in there, that is not to say they don't want to win, but I think their attitude changes when we are still in competitions like the Champions League, they will make the effort to make sure we finish in the top four and I have to say that the lass of Laporte has been felt more than I expected together with the loss of Vinnie, who we have not replaced not in his playing ability but the leadership on the field and motivational skills off it.

On the subject of Vince, it’s not really working out for him at Anderlecht.
I wish he would come back to us in some capacity.