City 3 Chelsea 3
Woodwork
City 0 Chelsea 0
Off Target
City 5 Chelsea 2

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from City Official Site match day thread

Link

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/chelsea-v-man-city-fa-cup-semi-final

19:26
FULL-TIME
Chelsea 1-0 Man City
The whistle goes and Chelsea win to reach the FA Cup final!

For Manchester City, it means their hopes of a quadruple-winning season are over.

19:30
'Tuchel got it spot-on'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Jermaine Jenas
Ex-Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

The changes cost City. They never got going in the first half. They started the second half very well, but overall Chelsea were the better side.

Tactically, Tuchel got it spot-on. Chelsea caught them on the counter-attack a couple of times, and it’s that which has got Chelsea to the FA Cup final.

19:35
'I put it in easy'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Chelsea goalscorer Hakim Ziyech speaking on BBC One: "The second half was a bit difficult but we scored the one goal that we needed.

"You always have to have the feeling before the game that you want to score. It was a good delivery and I put it in easy.

On finding his best form: “Not yet. I still have a lot to work on but I think I am in a good way.

On a special end to the season: “Of course. If you see what we are still playing for. All the ways are open and everybody is excited about it.”

19:39
'City will be disappointed for a while'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Lee Dixon
Former Arsenal and England defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

When Pep Guardiola looks back at this, he’ll think his team missed an opportunity. In the first half City simply weren’t good enough. For Chelsea to play like they did was absolutely spot-on. Everyone did their job and they deserve to go through to the final.

If City have two or three trophies at the end of the season it’ll be fine, but they’ll be disappointed about this for a while.

19:41
'A deserved win'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Alan Shearer
Former England striker on BBC One

Chelsea definitely deserved to win. They were the better team. They were the team looking to get forward and create the better chances. Their system stopped Man City playing. City played a high line - one of the reasons Werner played was to use his pace and get in behind and it worked to perfection.

19:43
'A brilliant defensive display'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Ashley Cole
Former Chelsea and Arsenal defender on BBC One

The defensive display from the whole Chelsea team was brilliant, they put bodies on the line and defended well. They penetrated well, Werner making great runs in behnd.

Zach Steffen makes Werner’s decision for him [with the goal]. Let the defender deal with it and you deal with anything in box. He was in no-man's land. It was an easy finish.

I love the way Werner plays.

This seems to be Chelsesa’s trophy. They lost last year against Arsenal. Hopefully this year they can do it. They’ve got a great chance.

19:44
'They didn't learn from the warning'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Micah Richards
Former Man City defender on BBC One

The high line Manchester City adopt at times, it works when they have possession. For the disallowed goal, Werner was in behind. On that occasion it was offside. That was the warning sign. They didn’t learn from this.

Phil Foden is magical. He just seems get better and better and better. They’re a better team with him in the side – no matter where he plays.

19:45
'I am very proud'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel, speaking to BBC Sport: "It was a very, very strong performance. Very happy and proud.

"We played an excellent 35 minutes in the first half. We had to suffer for 10 minutes. We then played another 30 minutes so strong and got the lead, could have got another. It was a very strong performance and I am very proud of my team. Very happy they performed to this level today. I am happy. Everybody who is on the pitch needs to perform.

"A good defence is also having the ball and ball possession. It is a very good clean sheet. We were not lucky to escape with a clean sheet, we worked hard for it.

"The guys are ready to cover for each other if anyone loses a duel. We wanted to be brave today with the ball and against the ball and we did it. So happy."

19:51
'Huffing and puffing from City'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Micah Richards

City had no spark. Because of the Champions League they looked a bit leggy. I have to give credit to Chelsea. They made them only have little chances. The chances they had came from their centre-back. Man City normally grind teams down. Their only chances in the game [were headers]. It was huffing and puffing.

Eight [changes] is a little bit much.

MuEN
player ratings
Steffen 6, Cancelo 4, Dias 5, Laporte* 7, Mendy** 5, Fernandinho (C) 6, Rodri 6, De Bruyne* 5, Torres** 4, Sterling 4, Jesus 4.

Foden* 6, Gundogan** 6

can't argue with that, except Jesus, who I thought tried very hard but was hampered by the City players who went missing today.

19:52
'Changes impacted City negatively'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Jermaine Jenas
Ex-Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

There were so many changes that had a negative impact on City today. The front three just didn’t function at all. Sterling struggled throughout the whole game and Jesus didn’t offer anything either.

Were Chelsea brilliant defensively or were City absolutely poor going forward? That’s as bad as I’ve seen them, they offered nothing. I can’t believe Guardiola didn’t start his best team today.

19:53
'A quality performance'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

More from Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel: “It feels fantastic because we were playing the best team in Europe right now and we managed to close the gap for 90 minutes. We played a very strong first 35 minutes and in the second half another strong half an hour.

“At the end of each half we had to suffer and we also needed a bit of luck but it was a deserved win. I am so proud because it is so hard against City, you have to be on your top level. It was a quality performance."

On Hakim Ziyech’s goal: “It was very nicely played. We escaped the pressure and we had a deep run from Mason [Mount] and the run from Timo. Hakim could finish from Timo’s [Werner] delivery which was crucial because it was decisive.

"We had a big chance with Timo, a big chance with Ziyech and two offside goals, so it would have been possible to be more calm in that last 15 minutes but I like the effort and hard work. It was a good mix between ball possession and defending."

This was a disappointing result but it came from a disappointing performance. Too many players off form (Sterling, Torres,
Cancelo), off the pace or not at the races (Mendy, Jesus) or trying to operate at three quarters pace to try and 'just do enough' because of the number of matches they are playing (KDB).

We got what we deserved. Nothing.

19:56
'Still a lot to play for'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Alan Shearer
Former England striker on BBC One

There is still a lot to play for for both teams. When you look at where both teams were in December...

City will be really dissapointed with how they played and going out. But the bigger picture is still a lot to play for.

19:57
'Unbelievable turnaround'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Micah Richards

Fourteen clean sheets in 19 games is an unbelievable turnaround from where they were.

Against a Real Madrid side who play similar to Chelsea – cagey – it will be an interesting tactical battle.

19:58
'The margins are so tight'
Chelsea 1-0 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport: "We played a good last 15 minutes. We had struggled to find our place in the pockets but congratulates Chelsea, tight game.

"We arrived sometimes in that position but after that we didn't create.

"We conceded the goal but after we reacted well, especially after Phil Foden and Ilkay Gundogan came in. The team that defends with eight players in the final third it is not easy. This type of game the margin is so tight.

"In general we controlled well. We didn't create many clear cut chances but we arrived more than them."

On Kevin de Bruyne: "It doesn't look good, he has pain. We will see. Tomorrow he will have a test."

Sky
Player ratings
Man City: Steffen (6), Cancelo (6), Dias (6), Laporte (6), Mendy (6), Rodri (7), Fernandinho (6), De Bruyne (6), Torres (5), Sterling (6), Jesus (5).

Subs: Foden (6), Gundogan (6)

note. how Rajeev gets a 6 is way over the top