Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League Final Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League Final Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 0 Chelsea 1
FT Stats
Possession
City 58% Chelsea 42% (City OS 60.2%-39.8%)
Corners
City 3 Chelsea 1
Offside
City 1 Chelsea 3
Fouls
City 14 Chelsea 13
Cards
City 2 Y (Gundogan, G Jesus) Chelsea 1 Y
On Target
City 1 Chelsea 2
Woodwork
City 0 Chelsea 0
Off Target
City 6 Chelsea 6 (UEFA site has 7 City shots, Chelsea 8 - City OS City 2 shots Chelsea 5 off target)

Attendance 14,110 Estadio do Dragao Porto

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2029498--man-city-vs-chelsea

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtur...er-city-v-chelsea-uefa-champions-league-final

BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/54074842

21:57
FT: Man City 0-1 Chelsea

Chelsea players collapse to the floor. Thomas Tuchel sprints onto the pitch. There's tears from Sergio Aguero.

21:59

Kai Havertz is hugged by every single member of the Chelsea staff and team.
The fans are jumping up and down with their flags.

22:00

The trophy is being carved as the celebrations continue.
It's Chelsea's name on it for the second time in the club's history.

22:01

Phil Foden is holding back the tears. Ben Chilwell comes across to console him and shake Pep Guardiola's hand.

The City boss is shellshocked. He's stood watching on in the middle of the pitch.

22:00
'Perfect in Porto'

Chris Sutton
Former Premier League striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

Wow, what a performance from Chelsea - perfect in Porto.

They defended perfectly and what a final we had.

Chelsea deserved it, had the better opportunities and it was Kai Havertz who scored the all important goal.

Chelsea have been so well drilled under Thomas Tuchel and get the job done, this is massive for them.

Where do Manchester City go from here? This was the one Pep Guardiola wanted to win, they did not turn up on the night.

22:04

Chelsea goalscorer Kai Havertz to BT Sport: "I don't know what to say. I really don't know what to say. I waited a long time.

Now I want to thank my family, my parents, my grandmother and my girlfriend. I don't know what to say.

"I've waited 15 years for this moment and now it's here."

22:05

Chris Sutton

Thomas Tuchel was clearly fired up, last season would have been a sore one for him.

It is more to do with the work he is doing with Chelsea on the training ground and how well drilled they are.

Kai Havertz took the opportunity tonight and that is another clean sheet too.

A team as talented as City, they did not work Edouard Mendy enough tonight and that will be of real frustration for them.

22:07
'A special, special day'

Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta to BT Sport: "[Kai Havertz] was so calm. Not only that. He runs like crazy! That's why he deserves this.

"I came here in 2012 after that Champions League win. I wanted to repeat that Champions League success. It is amazing. My family are here. It is a special, special day."

22:08
'Masterclass'

Rio Ferdinand
Former England defender on BT Sport

Thomas Tuchel has come in and put on a tactical masterclass today.

N'Golo Kante put on a masterclass in how to retrieve the ball, defend and break things up.

22:09
'All heroes'

Former Chelsea player Joe Cole, speaking to BT Sport: "To sit where we are sat among the fans, every man from Mendy to the final man in the squad is a hero.

"That was an unbelievable performance. All these boys are heroes to me now."

22:10
'Kante best team player in world football'

Former Chelsea player Joe Cole, speaking to BT Sport: "I don’t think there is a more important player for his team in world football than N'Golo Kante. He drove this team."

We weren’t the better side, they didn’t out play us, they stopped us with a deep block which we struggled to deal with. Not helped by Pep’s strange decision to change the formula or his inexplicable failure to recognise that we were getting nowhere fast with Sterling v James. We needed quick feet and balls round the corner but never laid a glove on them. But they were very dull. I wouldn’t want to watch them every week.

In the end a season with two trophies and a third league title in four years isn’t bad.

22:12

Chris Sutton

City have top, top players but they will have massive regrets.

They will be questioning themselves, could they have done more?

^^ Yes.

MuEN

Player ratings
Ederson 6, Walker 4, Dias 4, Stones 4, Zinchenko 4, Gundogan 4, De Bruyne* (c) 6, Bernardo** 5, Sterling*** 4, Foden 6, Mahrez 4
Subs: Jesus* 4, Fernandinho** 5 Aguero*** 4
------------------------------------------------------------------
I think these ratings are very harsh indeed, City lost by a single goal and I thought we defended well overall and you cannot say that Chelsea dominated our defenders.

However our midfield was lacking its normal penetration and that was due to Chelsea disrupting our play with little tactical fouls and going down at any touch at all, but that is football and we have achieved a double, it has been far from a disappointing season and may be nerves were a telling factor.