Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League Final Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Chelsea Champions League Final Post Match Thread

22:17
'Tuchel is a magician'
FT: Man City 0-1 Chelsea

Rio Ferdinand
Former England defender on BT Sport

To do what he has done coming halfway through the season is nothing short of a magician.

They’ve had to come together as a squad, a lot of doubt was put on them as a team and as individuals but now they have marched on.

He has come into this country and played Pep Guardiola's side three times this season and won all three.

MuEN

Player ratings
Ederson 6, Walker 4, Dias 4, Stones 4, Zinchenko 4, Gundogan 4, De Bruyne* (c) 6, Bernardo** 5, Sterling*** 4, Foden 6, Mahrez 4
Subs: Jesus* 4, Fernandinho** 5 Aguero*** 4
------------------------------------------------------------------
I think these ratings are very harsh indeed, City lost by a single goal and I thought we defended well overall and you cannot say that Chelsea dominated our defenders.

However our midfield was lacking its normal penetration and that was due to Chelsea disrupting our play with little tactical fouls and going down at any touch at all, but that is football and we have achieved a double, it has been far from a disappointing season and may be nerves were a telling factor.
The back four weren't nearly that bad, but the midfield was in a sorry state today. Pep's to blame for much of it, but he doesn't play, and I didn't see the effort I did against PSG.

22:17
'Tuchel is a magician'

Rio Ferdinand

To do what he has done coming halfway through the season is nothing short of a magician.

They’ve had to come together as a squad, a lot of doubt was put on them as a team and as individuals but now they have marched on.

He has come into this country and played Pep Guardiola's side three times this season and won all three.
I think that is a bit OTT. He has made them hard to beat and they win games by nicking the odd goal.

Not the kind of football I would want to watch every week. Functional. Efficient. Dull quite frankly. Plus Jorginho is a diving cheat but that is a small point.

Despite Pep’s missteps I would rather watch football played by his teams.

22:19
'This is what I came to Chelsea for'

Chelsea's Ben Chilwell: "We fought so hard today. We knew it would be a tough game. The second half... we fought for our lives to get to this moment, to have this feeling. This is what I came to Chelsea for. It's a dream come true.

"The key was to get tight and be aggressive. I was getting tired as the game went on but when the Champions League is up for grabs, you don't really tire.

"Everyone defended for their lives. We've won the Champions League so I wouldn't even care how we played!"

22:21
'City would not be here without Aguero'

Joleon Lescott
Former Man City defender on BT Sport

This moment will be devastating for Sergio Aguero and everyone involved in it from Manchester City.

This club would not have been here without Sergio Aguero. He played in their first game in the Champions League and played in their first final.

22:22
'Brutal for Aguero'

Former Chelsea player Joe Cole, speaking to BT Sport: "I have been in Aguero's shoes. You are at a club you love, you go all the way and for some reason you come up against a team that is better than you. It is brutal."

I certainly won’t be watching the game again. So that’s a few hours that I can use for something else.

Standby for the ‘Fraudiola’ comments again. I would be pointing to the three league titles in four years, four consecutive league cups etc etc

22:24
'I don't know what to feel'

Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel speaking to BT Sport: "To share it with everybody is incredible. We made it. Wow. I don't know what to feel.

"I was so grateful to arrive a second time [in the final]. I felt different. We were somehow... You could feel it getting closer.

"The [players] were determined to win this. We wanted to be a stone in their shoe. We encouraged everybody to step up and step out, to be more brave and create dangerous counter-attacks.

"It was a tough physical game. We had to help each other out."

22:28
'These players will be tied together for life'

Rio Ferdinand

This will tie these players and members of staff together for life. This is what they will be talking about in WhatsApp groups together for years and years to come.

I have it now and these guys have joined that club.

22:39
'We're the best team in the world'

Mason Mount to BT Sport: "I can't put it into words. It's impossible. I just mentioned then that I've played in two finals for Chelsea and we lost them both. The way that hurt... It's all I've dreamt winning a trophy with Chelsea. To go all the way in the Champions League. We played some tough teams. We are in a final and we won it. It's such a special occasion. At this moment in time, we're the best team in the world. You can't take that away from us!

"What a team Man City are. You have seen what they did in the Premier League. It was such a tough game. We got a goal and defended the whole game. We left everything on the line and we won. What can I say? Loads of staff that have come through... It is unbelievable. My dad has just come down from the stands. I burst into tears seeing him. I thank my family for everything.

"To be at this moment now going into the Euros... Some of the boys from City will be meeting up with us and I know that will be hard. I spoke to them, they deserved to be here. It's tough for them but hopefully next season we'll be pushing for the Premier League as well."

22:42
'He might have seen a weakness'

Rio Ferdinand

[Did Pep Guardiola tinker too much?] I think that will levelled at him because he changed the way he had played all season. he has always had Rodri or Fernandinho in there but he changed it.

We know tactically he tinkers, he might have seen a weakness in there but Thomas Tuchel nullified any threat.

We saw Riyad Mahrez and Raheem Sterling played really wide, they've not really done that this season and maybe that is something City did wrong.

22:44
'Kante is Makelele with extras'

Former Chelsea player Joe Cole, speaking to BT Sport: "N'Golo Kante is staggering. I am shattered just watching him.

"I played with Claude Makelele and I thought he was the best in that position until I saw this kid. He is Makelele plus extras."

22:50
Chelsea's victory stats

Chelsea have lifted the trophy in six of their seven major European finals in their history - with this their fourth European success in the Roman Abramovich era alone.

Thomas Tuchel is the third different German manager to win the Champions League in the last three seasons (Jurgen Klopp 2019, Hans-Dieter Flick 2020)

Chelsea are the third English side to win the Champions League on at least two occasions (also Liverpool and Man Utd).