Manchester City - Brighton Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - Brighton Premier League Post Match Thread

High praise was given to Brighton from Match of the Day Pundit Alan Shearer for having so many Brighton players in their own box,

Alan, it's called 'parking the bus'.
Typical Shearer. He’s never gotten over that defeat at St James’ Park, especially the non award of the penalty for Eddy’s challenge. HUGE chip in his shoulder.

He is always quick to praise teams who are low on ambition and, when convenient, seems to forget that the PL would be a poorer place if all teams wanted to do was defend their box and try and ‘nick a goal’.

Only the BBC highlights seen so far. Full replay will have to wait But I am not sure I have heard a team being more highly praised for their defending - I notice this because so often defending gets little acknowledgement (especially when it’s a City defender - then it tends not to get mentioned).

Example - Cucurella was ball watching and had moved too far ahead of his defensive line leaving space behind him when he reacted to put the ball out for the corner - he had switched off and forced to give the corner away when he realised Bernardo was behind him. Jon Champion (? BBC commentator) noted he had “no other option but to poke it behind for the corner”. Zero comment about how his poor positioning and lack of discipline created the need for him to concede the corner. OR how Foden was left unmarked at the resulting corner and allowed to get his shot away.

Immediately before this in the highlights and after the Mahrez goal John Stones prevents a cross and concedes a corner from March after good work on their left wing ……but there is only praise for the attacker and not the support given by Stones to his FB and how he “got in a good block to prevent a potentially dangerous cross into the box” (my description).

This is a minor example but sums up the perceived narrative throughout the commentary. Brighton gave a good account of themselves and came to the Etihad on the back of two impressive results and worth a great away record. But don’t just look at one aspect when you commentate And call out the poor defending when it happens.

Only the BBC highlights seen so far. Full replay will have to wait But I am not sure I have heard a team being more highly praised for their defending - I notice this because so often defending gets little acknowledgement (especially when it’s a City defender - then it tends not to get mentioned).

Example - Cucurella was ball watching and had moved too far ahead of his defensive line leaving space behind him when he reacted to put the ball out for the corner - he had switched off and forced to give the corner away when he realised Bernardo was behind him. Jon Champion (? BBC commentator) noted he had “no other option but to poke it behind for the corner”. Zero comment about how his poor positioning and lack of discipline created the need for him to concede the corner. OR how Foden was left unmarked at the resulting corner and allowed to get his shot away.

Immediately before this in the highlights and after the Mahrez goal John Stones prevents a cross and concedes a corner from March after good work on their left wing ……but there is only praise for the attacker and not the support given by Stones to his FB and how he “got in a good block to prevent a potentially dangerous cross into the box” (my description).

This is a minor example but sums up the perceived narrative throughout the commentary. Brighton gave a good account of themselves and came to the Etihad on the back of two impressive results and worth a great away record. But don’t just look at one aspect when you commentate And call out the poor defending when it happens.

spot on, but of course everyone is behind the 'People's Champions'

I will just point out a pointless exercise by the BBC , you can vote for player of the match and give marks out of 10 for all the players on both sides.
The result
Moises Caicedo player of the match 7.58 and only 4 of the 14 players used got less than City's highest rating who was
Olex Zinchenko with 7.05

KDB was only rated 6.01, whilst Gabby Jesus who came on around 83' got 6.99

why do you think this was the case?

answers please on a postcard or email to BBC football editor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60717451

I will just point out a pointless exercise by the BBC , you can vote for player of the match and give marks out of 10 for all the players on both sides.
The result
Moises Caicedo player of the match 7.58 and only 4 of the 14 players used got less than City's highest rating who was
Olex Zinchenko with 7.05

KDB was only rated 6.01, whilst Gabby Jesus who came on around 83' got 6.99

why do you think this was the case?

answers please on a postcard or email to BBC football editor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60717451
Laughable - but I gave up voting myself a while ago after the clear Anti-Sterling votes tainted the whole concept for me.

KDB was clearly the standout player on the park

The KippaxBlue View :-

Brighton 3-0

City made six changes from the Wembley loss. In came Ederson, Rodri, Gundogan, Mahrez, Laporte and De Bruyne for Steffen, Sterling, Jesus, Grealish, Fernandinho and Zinchenko. The vital one was the return of Kevin De Bruyne for his 300th appearance for City. We knew it was not going to be easy as Brighton had won their last two games against Spurs and Arsenal..​

After just a couple of minutes City won a corner but alas a Mahrez effort went well wide. Mahrez had a better chance on 16 minutes when the Brighton keeper 'passed' to him but instead of shooting first time he tried to get a better position and was tackled. Brighton were defending in depth and City would have to improve. On 26 minutes De Bruyne shot just wide and two minutes later Sanchez saved well from Benardo and Gundogan had a shot blocked.
After 40 minutes Brighton actually got a corner! Just on half time Diaz came on for Ake who seemed to have a problem.​

Shortly after the break City won a couple of corners and then following a couple of blocked efforts Gundogan passed to De Bruyne who dashed forward from the half way line beating several defenders and passed to Mahrez who thanks to a deflection beat the keeper to score and put City ahead at last!
On 61 minutes De Bruyne had a shot saved but a few minutes later following a corner Foden shot from at least 25 yards and a deflection again beat the keeper and City were two up. It was Foden's 5th goal against Brighton - his most against any side!​

City continued to put pressure on the Brighton defence but there was some concern when Zinchenko came on for Stones who appeared to be injured. However a few minutes later City notched their third goal when De Bruyne flicked the ball to Benardo Silva who scored with a curler to make it three nil. . Kevin then went off for a rest subbed by Jesus - game over!​