Manchester City-Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0
FT Stats
Possession
City 65.1% BHA 34.9%
Corners
City 8 BHA 4
Offsides
City 2 BHA 2
Fouls
City 4 BHA 12
Cards
City 0 BHA 2 Y
On Target
City 6 BHA 1
Woodwork
City 1 BHA 0
Off Target
City 10 BHA 4 (PL site has 16 City shots, BHA 5 - City OS City 4 shots BHA 3 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59075

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-brighton-and-hove-albion

Stats
We are unbeaten in Eight top-flight games, winning Six of those matches - including each of the last four.
City have conceded seven goals since the start of October, fewer than any other Premier League side.
Manchester City has won all seven Premier League meetings, scoring 21 goals and conceding just twice.
Brighton has never won a league match away to City (D2, L9).

19:56
'City were second best in the second half'
FT: Man City 1-0 Brighton

Pat Nevin
Former Chelsea and Scotland winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

The celebrations are relief for Manchester City! They were second best the the second half. You have to say well done Brighton; they chased, harried and they were desperate to get back into the game.

They probably deserved to get a goal at some point but Man City just about kept them out. That's a real scare for City, they just folded in the second half and they are so lucky to get out of that with the three points.

19:57
'Feels like we're back to our best'
Man City 1-0 Brighton

Manchester City matchwinner Phil Foden: "It definitely feels like we're back to our best. We've taken confidence from the last few results.

"We could have done better today but overall I'm very proud of the team. It's a great result.

"Brighton defended really well and had a good game plan. To get the goal before half-time was really important. It ended up as the winning goal so I'm delighted.

"I don't score too many with my right foot so I enjoyed it.

"I always like to score goals and be there in the box. We just want to keep going with this form and pushing to win the league."

Pat Nevin

The celebrations are relief for Manchester City! They were second best the the second half. You have to say well done Brighton; they chased, harried and they were desperate to get back into the game.

They probably deserved to get a goal at some point but Man City just about kept them out. That's a real scare for City, they just folded in the second half and they are so lucky to get out of that with the three points.
Knob.

MuEN
Player ratings
CITY XI: Ederson 7, Cancelo 6, Stones 8, Dias 8, Zinchenko 6, Rodrigo 7, Gundogan 7, Bernardo 7, De Bruyne(c) 8, Foden** 9, Mahrez* 6

Subs: Steffen, Walker, Sterling** 5, Jesus* 6, Torres, Mendy, Fernandinho, Harwood-Bellis, Mbete

20:14
'We pushed a very good team all the way'
Man City 1-0 Brighton

Brighton boss Graham Potter to BBC Sport: "We are disappointed to come away with nothing. We met a top team. I’m so proud of the players. You have to suffer here, that’s how it is. We tried to attack.

"You’re always on the stretch because they have fantastic players. They’re so good, they drive you back. Our intention was to be on the front foot and play and attack when we could.

"The boys defended well when they had to and left everything on the pitch which is all you can ask.

"You need everything to go your way if you’re going to get anything here.

"Second half was really good, really spirited. We pushed a very good team all the way."

On Percy Tau: "I think you got glimpses. It’s a tough game for a forward because you have to expend a lot of energy defending which takes away from the quality he has. He’s got plenty of time and we need to help him.

"I really enjoyed the performance, the spirit. They had a go. We were organised. We had an idea of what we wanted to do. There was a lot to be proud of."

20:27
'This was a good lesson for us'
Man City 1-0 Brighton

Pep Guardiola talking to BBC Sport: "We knew how tough it would be. Brighton had a good mentality to play.

"We had a really good first half and had chances. After we missed a really clear chance in the second half they were better.

"We need to win these sort of games. It is a good lesson for us. Every game will be like this.

"Phil Foden is 20 years old, look at the starts. The amount of games, the assists compared to the bigger stars in football. Can play both sides, in the middle as a false nine. He is so clever in front of goal. That is why he deserves to play."

We were not second best in the second half, no way. We kept Brighton out and our back 4 + Rodri did their job. My MOM John Stones.

Pat Nevin

I agree with him that it was relief but only because of the chances we squandered in that second half, a bit of a stretch to say we were second best considering what we created.

That said we were sloppy at times and they had their moments, fairly sustained at the end.

That tackle from Stones was huge.

20:14
'We pushed a very good team all the way'
Man City 1-0 Brighton

Brighton boss Graham Potter to BBC Sport: "We are disappointed to come away with nothing. We met a top team. I’m so proud of the players. You have to suffer here, that’s how it is. We tried to attack.

"You’re always on the stretch because they have fantastic players. They’re so good, they drive you back. Our intention was to be on the front foot and play and attack when we could.

"The boys defended well when they had to and left everything on the pitch which is all you can ask.

"You need everything to go your way if you’re going to get anything here.

"Second half was really good, really spirited. We pushed a very good team all the way."

On Percy Tau: "I think you got glimpses. It’s a tough game for a forward because you have to expend a lot of energy defending which takes away from the quality he has. He’s got plenty of time and we need to help him.

"I really enjoyed the performance, the spirit. They had a go. We were organised. We had an idea of what we wanted to do. There was a lot to be proud of."

They play some lovely ball, interesting to see what Potter could do with a top squad.