Manchester City-Borussia Dortmund Champions League QF Game One Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City-Borussia Dortmund Champions League QF Game One Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester City 2 Borussia Dortmund 1
FT Stats
Possession
City 59% BD 41% (City OS 61.6%-38.4%)
Corners
City 4 BD 2
Offsides
City 1 BD 0
Fouls
City 9 BD 8
Cards
City 0 BD 2 Y
On Target
City 5 BD 3
Woodwork
City 0 BD 0
Off Target
City 6 BD 4 (UEFA site has 11 City shots, BD 7 - City OS City 4 shots BD 1 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2029486--man-city-vs-dortmund

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-borussia-dortmund

21:52
FULL-TIME
Man City 2-1 Borussia Dortmund

All over and Phil Foden's late goal gives Manchester City a first-leg victory.
Nicely set up for the second leg!

22:01

Phil Foden is the third youngest Englishman to score in a Champions League quarter-final, behind only Alan Smith in 2001 for Leeds (20 years and 158 days) and Theo Walcott in 2009 for Arsenal (20 years and 30 days).

Kevin De Bruyne is the UEFA Player of the Match.
"He was the goal scorer but, more importantly, at the centre of everything good for City tonight, with and without the ball," says UEFA Technical Observer Roberto Martínez. "He brought purpose to City's play and intent and threat with his constant and energetic attacking play. Another false number 9 display that showed great understanding and space awareness in his performance."

The goal conceded by Manchester City is their first in 790 minutes of UEFA Champions League football. This is the second-longest streak in competition history, followed by the 995 minutes Arsenal went in 2005/06.

22:06
'The team has responded well to the challenge'

Kevin de Bruyne, speaking to BT Sport about his pass for Manchester City's winner: "I try to look up before I get the ball, try to get a picture of what is happening."

He added: "The season in September started this way and never stopped. It has been an incredible run of games, the team has responded well to the challenge this year.

"We are in a good situation and a little bit privileged because we are able to compete for every trophy. We try to prepare game by game."

De Bruyne [on hectic schedule]
"The season started in September this way and never stopped. I think we’ve had no midweek off. It’s been an incredible run of games.

"I think the team responded really well to the challenge. We are able to compete for every trophy and that is what everybody wants to do.

"We try to take it game by game and now we need to prepare ourselves for Saturday."

De Bruyne [on his brilliant pass in build up to winner]
"I try to look up before I get the ball. I try to get a picture of what is happening and I was seeing Phil and Gundogan running to the second ball so I tried to chip it.

"It was good that it went just above the defender. It was a good action, that’s all that matters."

22:14
'We showed a good reaction'

More from Kevin de Bruyne, speaking to BT Sport: "We saw the way they played. They played really well with the ball. It causes some problems sometimes. I think in the first half we had a little bit of difficulty finding the chances but in the second half we created a few.

“We probably should have scored a little bit more but obviously when they came back to 1-1, that was a little shame but it happens.

"I think the reaction was really good so to get the win is good. We know 2-1 is a tricky score but at least we are ahead for the second leg.”

22:26
'We will go there to win'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BT Sport: "Better to win than draw. 2-1, Champions League, we are going there to win the game. In the first half we were not clever with the ball. The second half was much better, we had two or three clear chances to score the second and third but it didn't happen. After we concede 1-1 we scored the final goal.

"Dortmund are strong, a good quality with the players they have and the quality it is difficult to do what we want to do it but 2-1 and we have a good chance next week.

"We are going to watch the game. We will adjust a few things to go there and try to win the game. Next Leeds and then we go to Germany to try and win the game.

"Borussia Dortmund is a typical club from the Champions League. We have one more game there and with the result 2-1 we will try to score the goals there to win.
"We are going to analyse what we have to do like we have done for four or five months. Every game we play to win."

On Phil Foden: "Second half he was a threat for them. He had two or three chances to score and finally he scored."

Sky
Player Ratings
Man City:
Ederson (7), Walker (6), Dias (7), Stones (7), Cancelo (7), Rodri (6), Gundogan (6), Bernardo (6), Foden (8), Mahrez (7), De Bruyne (9)

Subs: Jesus (6)

22:42
'Foden knows where the play is'

Dion Dublin
Former Man Utd striker on BBC Radio 5 Live

Phil Foden looks so slight, like you can knock him off the ball but when he drops he shoulder, he's gone! He got megs on the full-backs tonight, he gets his head up, he knows where the play is.

He's a player to be wary of now when it comes to goals and assists.