City 6 Birmingham 2
Woodwork
City 0 Brmingham 0
Off Target
City 7 Birmingham 4

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from City Official Site match day thread

Link

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-birmingham-city-fa-cup

Bernardo Silva netted twice in a game for just the second time in his Manchester City career, with the previous instance coming in a hat-trick against Watford in September 2019.

Manchester City have won each of their past seven FA Cup home games, their best home winning run in the competition since January 1946 (14 in a row).

MuEN
Player ratings

Steffen: 7
Cancelo:6
Walker:
Dias:
Mendy:
. 6
Rodri:
. 7
Bernardo:
De Bruyne:
Mahrez:
Foden:
Jesus:
Substitutes
Harwood-Bellis (for Cancelo, 46):
Stones (for Dias, 46):
Nmecha (for De Bruyne, 46):
Fernandinho (for Rodri, 67):
Delap (for Jesus, 76):
Not used:
Ederson, Zinchenko, Mbete, Gundogan

----------------------------

I am not altogether in agreement with the marks given above, The fact that Mahrez was given a 9, when he was 7 at best but I will give him the brilliant pass to KDB for the second goal as worthy of that 7

Cancelo, not up to his usual standard and gave the ball away on several occasions 5

Nmecha, did not take the opportunity to shine but at best a 5

Rodri - controlled the midfield and covered in defence - 8

Mendy I know it was his first game back but plays no better than Zinko. 5

If we sold both Ben and Riyad, I don't think we would miss them, because when thinking about team selections, they only spring to mind when playing early domestic cup rounds. This is the state of things, I saw Mendy's debut and he was brilliant and whipped in those crosses, but since his injury, I don't think he has ever fully recovered and we only see glimpses of why we bought him.

Riyad Mahrez can be both brilliant and frustrating but is not a game changer and not consistent and is young enough to be cashed in and for the time being use Cole Palmer (I am sure his time will come)

Last edited:
It amazes me than when a team wins the marks get higher. I would be closer to Buzzers marks I must say. I would guess that Blue Mendy was told not to maurade down the left wing cause Cancelo was playing the inverted RB role. This being the best part of Bens game made him look worse than usual. Zinco plays LB very well at times, but just lacks that bit of after burner pace when he needs it if he is passed on the outside. Me thinks a new #1 RB may well be on our agenda in the Summer window after a #1 new striker maybe.

I cannot disagree with Buzz’s assessment and the points made about Mendy’s restraint because of Cancelo’s positioning are very valid. I think we were playing a back 3.5 with Rodri dropping in when the situation merited it.

I also think that Mendy’s lack of crossing is affected by the absence of the striking options we used to have. He used to whip those in for Sane (my absolute fav is the goal Sane clipped in at the near post v the dippers in the 5-0 thrashing) and Aguero and Sterling but we haven’t been maraud forward anywhere near as much since the injuries suffered by Sane and Aghero denied us of their presence in/around the six yard box.....

As for The Invisible Man aka Riyad Mahrez. Probably best I don‘t get started Hitting