City 15 Arsenal 10
Cards
City 4 Y (Rodri, Cancelo, Dias, Ake) Arsenal 1 Y
On Target
City 5 Arsenal 3
Woodwork
City 0 Arsenal 0
Off Target
City 8 Arsenal 8 (PL site has 13 City shots, Arsenal 11 - City OS City 4 shots Arsenal 5 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/58941

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-city-v-arsenal

19:26
FT: Man City 1-0 Arsenal

The win means Manchester City are 10th on seven points, six behind leaders Everton and three behind Liverpool but with a game in hand on both.

Arsenal, meanwhile, are fifth on nine points following their second defeat in the Premier League this season.

19:35
'This result gives us confidence'
Man City 1-0 Arsenal

Manchester City goalscorer Raheem Sterling speaking to Sky Sports: "We dropped points early on in the season so it was important to keep on winning.

"Coming back from the international break we knew we needed a good performance and to pick up points to kick-start the season. Today's result definitely gives us confidence."

On the goal: "I felt I was quite lucky to get on the scoresheet. It was not one of my better games but I am just grateful to be able to help the team."

On Sergio Aguero's return: "At times in the first half me and Sergio got on ball really well in the pockets in front of their defence and took up some great positions.

"It felt like we were much more fluent and able to keep possession. To have a striker to link up with was really good."

19:38
'Great to keep momentum going'

Raheem Sterling speaking with BBC Sport: "They were a difficult team to break down, really well drilled and made it difficult for us. In the end we deserved the win. We kept it tight and compact and deserved the win.

"We haven't been quite as fluent this season but in the last couple of games have shown that fluency is coming back and it's great to keep the momentum going.

"When Sergio is on the field you know there can be a goal at any moment. He is vital to help us compete on all fronts and great to have him back.

"It's only October, we have seen plenty of shock results so far, but it's a long season so we have got to stay focused and build on today's result."

MUEN
Player Ratings
Ederson 8, Walker 7, Dias 8, Ake 7, Cancelo 6,
Rodrigo 6, Mahrez 7, Foden**6, Bernardo 7, Sterling (C) 7, Aguero*6

Substitutes
Steffen, Stones, Gundogan*6 , Torres, Fernandinho**7', Delap, Garcia

' Muen did not mark Ferna

but I thought his cameo deserved a 7, Cancelo rated more than a 6

19:44
Post-match stats
FT: Man City 1-0 Arsenal

• Arsenal are winless in their last 29 Premier League away games against “big six” opponents (D10 L19) since a 2-0 win versus Manchester City in January 2015.
  • Manchester City have conceded just one goal in their last six Premier League games against Arsenal, keeping a shut out versus four different managers in this run (Arsène Wenger, Unai Emery, Fredrik Ljungberg and Mikel Arteta x2).
  • Arsenal have lost each of their last seven league games against Manchester City, their longest such run against an opponent since losing seven in a row vs Ipswich between 1974-1977.
  • Pep Guardiola has won 500 games in all competitions as a manager (including Barcelona B), winning 172 as Manchester City boss.
  • Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson has kept 53 clean sheets in the Premier League since his debut in August 2017; 15 more than any other goalkeeper in this time.
  • Man City’s Raheem Sterling has been directly involved in six goals in his last five Premier League appearances against Arsenal (4 goals, 2 assists)

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Manchester City are unbeaten in ten Premier League meetings - since a 1-2 defeat in December 2015 (W7, D2).
Arsenal have now lost eight league matches in a row against the same opponent for the first time since doing so versus Ipswich between 1974 and 1977.

Manchester City

They have only twice lost both of their opening two home fixtures in a season: 1930-31 and 1953-54.
Pep Guardiola's side will start the day in the bottom half of the table for the third time in four games this season, as many as in their previous 375 Premier League matches.
City still haven't gone three league matches without a win since a run of four in April 2017.
Manchester City have earned 28 points from their past 11 home league games against other established top-six teams, only losing to Manchester United in December 2019.
Raheem Sterling has scored an unrivalled 35 goals among Premier League players in all competitions since the start of last season.

Sky

Player ratings

Manchester City: Ederson (8), Walker (7), Dias (7), Ake (7), Cancelo (6), Rodrigo (7), Foden (7), Silva (7), Mahrez (8), Aguero (7), Sterling (8).

Subs: Gundogan (6), Fernandinho (n/a).

VIEW FROM THE SKY SPORTS STUDIO

Micah Richards: "It was always going to be tough. You have to respect Artetat for how well he has them drilled. I thought Sterling showed great maturity today; he popped up in some great areas and it's good to see him performing well. I want to give credit to Arsenal though. They deserve a lot of credit. I don't believe they're ready to challenge for the title yet but I'm genuinely excited by Arsenal; top four is realistic this season."

Sol Campbell: "It was a chess game at times. But second half, they should have been stretching the City backline. That wasn't really happening. They were controlled in their play but in the final third, they needed to be a bit more potent."

Great result, no idea what Pep was doing with positions today but I think that was the point, neither did Arteta.

Kudos to Ederson for a couple of excellent saves.

We controlled it really well second half, liked the tactical fouling on the few occasions we were sloppy.

Great result, no idea what Pep was doing with positions today but I think that was the point, neither did Arteta.

Kudos to Ederson for a couple of excellent saves.

We controlled it really well second half, liked the tactical fouling on the few occasions we were sloppy.

good point BD, he was expecting Mendy and Ake, did a reasonable job there, plus Cancelo and Walker on the right with Dias who is now Ruben (because that will make more money ) looks to be settling in really well plus mixing it up playing the long ball instead of playing it out from the back all the time.

We could and should have taken been more clinical in front of goal, but for a first time back after the break, it was just as you say a great result