Manchester City 6 - 0 Chelsea - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Manchester City 6 - 0 Chelsea - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
Chelsea Battered and Burton-ed By Ruthless City

Johnny On The Spot: #STATEMENT-MADE. Menacing Manchester City have maintained the title chase pressure on Liverpool throats at a rocking Etihad with an extraordinary dismantling of a star studded Chelsea who were shown the exit door from the top flight’s top four with ruthless efficiency. Spearheaded by the brilliance of Kun Agüero, his place in the pantheon of Premier League greats now assured, City reduced Chelsea’s Sarriball to Sorriball.

Their spirit typified by a boisterously happy dugout, Pep Guardiola’s bristling squad delivered outstanding performances with incredible fluency as the reigning champions goal scoring tally for the calendar year broke the 40 barrier. Effortlessly backing off then roaring up through the gears at will, City registered a quite simply brilliant win built upon the blistering pace of Raz Sterling and the breathless off the ball hunger of Bernardo Silva.

And what of Aguero? An Alan Shearer rivalling 11th Premier League hat-trick. The travesty of the modern age is that this exceptional footballer, our new all-time top league scorer, has never been officially recognised in England despite years of astonishing consistent scoring.

This was in fact Chelsea’s 1,070th game since they last conceded 6 goals in the league, a 7-0 Division 1 defeat at Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest in April 1991. Just wow. Mr Sarri, who walked straight down the tunnel without shaking Pep's hand, could yet be the next erstwhile esteemed manager to hit the Chelsea revolving door out of London having now equalled the club’s Premier League record of failing to score in three consecutive away fixtures. Brexit narked Roman Abramovich is being given much to ponder. 6-0 flattered them despite what looked to be their best efforts. For the champions part, their five goals plus in a game occasions under Guardiola are now into the 30’s, and Manchester’s Blues will head for their first well earned week off for months bursting with confidence and belief.

Meanwhile, the media’s People’s Champions elect, the increasingly creepy cult resembling Liverpool, now faced with a 10 goal deficit on City, must next take their game in hand to Sir Alex Ferguson’s resurgent shadow operation whom they humiliated at Candlefield earlier in the season. The title race pendulum could be about to swing decisively. One wonders tonight if we are to be treated again this week to more pontificating bleating from certain hacks calling for City to show more respect to flattened opposition like Burton Albion by scoring less goals. The increasingly desperate hope these be-grudgers live in is eating them alive.

JB’s Man of The Match: Bernardo Silva. Through endeavour to the stars.

https://manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/chelsea-battered-and-burton-ed-by-ruthless-city/

Last edited:
Raheem Sterling speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a terrific performance from the team - the manager set us up and got us ready for the game. Sergio is a player we depend on. You saw with his first strike putting the ball in the top corner - you have to cherish players like that.
"It was just a win and another three points. The most important thing is to get three points."

Hat-trick hero and man-of-the-match Sergio Aguero on the first-half miss from a yard: "I don't know, sometimes it happens. The next one I scored. The important thing is to get the ball and for the team to win.

On equalling Alan Shearer's record for Premier League hat-tricks: "I have to continue the same way, but it's important to win."

Dion Dublin
Ex-Aston Villa striker on BBC Radio 5 live

It was men against boys today. There was a very small period where Chelsea could have got themselves into this game but City were professional, they were patient and they were organised.
Out of possession they worked so hard, in possession they were so potent. Sergio Aguero... you cannot give him chances.
City are going for the throat! That's what I think.

Pep Guardiola speaks to BBC Sport: "Incredible week, incredible game. We are lucky to score three from the first four actions. After 3-0 they were much better than us and after 5-0 it was not easy for them.

"Chelsea take the ball, play incredible, so that's why I am very pleased after we played Arsenal, Everton and had a few days to recover.

"To scored six against Chelsea and the way we played, we had so much attention. We did it, it's an incredible compliment to the players, they are outstanding.

"We spoke this morning, we trained set pieces, trained some movements and I never thought we would score this amount of goals. We will fight to the end."

Oleksandr Zinchenko on Sergio Aguero: "He's a life legend. He's on fire, we're so happy for him. He's an absolute goal machine."

Pep Guardiola on his hat-trick striker Sergio Aguero: "I have said many times, Sergio scores every single season a lot of goals. I admire these kind of players, the consistency. Young players come but some stay for a long time, that is fantastic.
"Top of the league, we have to wait to see when Liverpool go to Old Trafford as we have played one more game. They win that and they are leaders, with us behind. But I am proud.

"What we did last season, to still be there every single game, that means a lot to me. So 11 games, we are going to try until the end to retain the title."

Cesar Azpilicueta, speaking to Sky Sports: "It is one of the worst nights in my career. It is difficult to explain what happened.
"The first five or six minutes went well but that is not enough. It is very frustrating and disappointing. We are conceding a lot of goals and we cannot accept that.

"When you lose 6-0 we have to accept we didn't play well and made errors. We knew it would be tough. When we won at Stamford Bridge it was because we played well and were together. Today was not the case.

"All I can do is apologise to the fans because it is not acceptable."

Maurizio Sarri, speaking to Sky Sports: "At the moment I am not able to explain. during the week my feeling was good during training. Maybe the goal we concede after three minutes it was difficult to play. It was difficult not to give them spaces. We were in trouble. I am not able to understand.

"We made a lot of mistakes against the wrong opponents. They played fantastic football and we made a lot of mistakes. We wanted to press them at the beginning of the action but the plan was completely ruined because we concede after three minutes.

"I think the big difference between the two teams was the intensity of pressing. They pressed really well and we were not able to do it. We were not able to react in the right way. We were not able to stay in the match.

"At the moment we have a big problem away. The beginning of the season we were better away than at home. But everything has changed in the last month. We need to understand.

"It is right. I am in charge of the team so it is right [that he faces pressure]. You will have to ask the club [if there will be discussions about his future]."