Managers who haven't won something at 43 probably never will | Vital Football

Managers who haven't won something at 43 probably never will

Wow, that's a real stat attack. Very hard to read, but I get the general point.

It does gloss over Cowley's overall achievements though, mentioning only the League Two title. Whilst the article obviously focuses solely on the professional game, most commentators seem completely unaware that he has already been a manager for twelve years and actually has five promotions (three as champions, two via the play-offs) three other unsuccessful play-off campaigns, the Checkatrade Trophy, an FA Cup quarter-final, an FA Trophy semi-final, an FA Vase quarter-final, the Isthmian League Cup, and the Essex Senior Cup (twice). That is seven trophies and eight promotion bids in twelve years. He became a manager at 28 and won his first trophy nine months later at 29.

Wow, that's a real stat attack. Very hard to read, but I get the general point.

It does gloss over Cowley's overall achievements though, mentioning only the League Two title. Whilst the article obviously focuses solely on the professional game, most commentators seem completely unaware that he has already been a manager for twelve years and actually has five promotions (three as champions, two via the play-offs) three other unsuccessful play-off campaigns, the Checkatrade Trophy, an FA Cup quarter-final, an FA Trophy semi-final, an FA Vase quarter-final, the Isthmian League Cup, and the Essex Senior Cup (twice). That is seven trophies and eight promotion bids in twelve years. He became a manager at 28 and won his first trophy nine months later at 29.
Good job the telegraph didn’t include it all, cowley’s chart would have been off the scale
As we need investment, can we put this information behind a paywall too, please

I think you must just need an account (maybe to see so many a week/month) I'm certainly not paying for the Telegraph ha

Yeah, there's a 30 day free trial. Tends to put me off and I lose track these days. Not to mention the junk Emails when you give out yer Email addy. :grinning:

On a couple of these bits, for instance Solskjaer vs Pochettino, I'm not sure if it's a correlation/causation issue. Yes no manager has won the Premier League without a previous title, but there aren't actually that many Premier League winning managers. Solskjaer winning something in Norway doesn't neccessarily seem relevant.

That said, I wonder if there is something psychologically around winning. Winning leagues means managers have a lot of experience of closing games out, for example, and might react well to situations that mirror those even if they won before it was in a smaller league? And they might have better experience than say, a good Premier League manager who has spent most of his time finishing between 10th-14th.