Managers Best and Worst signings for Gillingham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Managers Best and Worst signings for Gillingham

Best signing by any manager
Andy Nelson -Alan Wilks
Wost
Damien Richardson - Brendan Place
Having possibly not seen him play at all It is difficult to comment but Wikipedia writes "After catching the eye of cross channel scouts with his subsequent displays for Longford Town and Athlone Town, Place was signed by Damien Richardson for Gillingham on 21 October 1989. He made his debut two days later against Chesterfield, but a promising career with the English third division club was cut short when he incurred a serious neck injury, which kept out of the game for six years". He appears to have had a decent career in coaching youth players in Ireland even at national level. Rumoured to have been at Hibernian in 2016.Possibly proving that you don't need to be able to play to be able to coach football.

Worst by Pulis I never rated Darren Carr at all and sending him on at Wembley left me shaking my head in disbelief.
When I used to play Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga, starting as a lower league team, Darren Carr was always one of my first signings as he was fast and cheap.

Having possibly not seen him play at all It is difficult to comment but Wikipedia writes "After catching the eye of cross channel scouts with his subsequent displays for Longford Town and Athlone Town, Place was signed by Damien Richardson for Gillingham on 21 October 1989. He made his debut two days later against Chesterfield, but a promising career with the English third division club was cut short when he incurred a serious neck injury, which kept out of the game for six years". He appears to have had a decent career in coaching youth players in Ireland even at national level. Rumoured to have been at Hibernian in 2016.Possibly proving that you don't need to be able to play to be able to coach football.
A real hoofer (when he could touch the ball at all). Probably injured his neck trying to head the ball into orbit.

Dreadful even by the pitiful standards of those days when we narrowly avoided exiting the League.

Ps, no idea what he was like as a person. He could have been a great bloke. I merely comment on what I perceive was his footballing "ability".

A real hoofer (when he could touch the ball at all). Probably injured his neck trying to head the ball into orbit.

Dreadful even by the pitiful standards of those days when we narrowly avoided exiting the League.

Ps, no idea what he was like as a person. He could have been a great bloke. I merely comment on what I perceive was his footballing "ability".

He lived in the same road as my mum and dad when I was a kid. It was actually Phil Kites house but both Tony Pulis (during his playing time here) and Brandan Plaice lived in the house with their families for short periods.

Brendan Plaice was a really nice guy ( if you could understand a word he said), shame he was such a shit footballer. As kids playing football at the end of the road all three players would stop and have chats regularly. Phil Kite even gave us all some of his kit when he left. I got a GFC tracksuit, which was fucking huge given I was only 13.

I’ll nominate Sir Keith’s best signing as Tony Cas for a set of tracksuits.

But you could also argue Terry Cochrane, Dave Shearer, Dave Mehmet, Dean White and many others.

As for his worst, I can’t remember many duds during that time. But for the fact we paid big money and he never really came off I’ll go for Mark Cooper. It was always going to be tough to replace Cas and Shakey.
have an idea dean white was signed by gerry summers keith . if i remember dean scored the 1st goal in the famous swindon match of 79.

Last edited:
have an idea dean white was signed by gerry summers keith . if i remember dean scored the 1st goal in the famous swindon match of 79.

Dean White was signed in 1978! I was living in St Leonards on Sea 84-86 and his family had an electronics shop in Hastings! I went to his house in Bexhill like some stalker Gillingham fan! I had only spoke to him previously when he went to Gillingham Snooker Club with Steve Bruce! He opened the door and straight away it was “alright mate, good timing as I’ve just put the kettle on”