Managerial Changes In League One | Page 2 | Vital Football

Managerial Changes In League One

Emma Hayes thinks is an insult to think she would leave Chelsea for Wimbledon.
Cowleys linked in local paper, not clear if that’s the clubs wishful thinking (most likely I reckon) or genuine interest

Emma Hayes thinks is an insult to think she would leave Chelsea for Wimbledon.
Cowleys linked in local paper, not clear if that’s the clubs wishful thinking (most likely I reckon) or genuine interest
There's one thing standing up for the ladies game and another for being very disrespectful to Wimbledon. They 'couldn't afford her' amongst other things.

An alternative pov is that had she taken a role at a professional men's club she could be striking new ground and pioneering a cause for women in football. After that she's made it harder for those calling for women to be given managerial posts in the men's game at a good level.

I'm sorry but as valid and entertaining as ladies football is, for her to try and suggest the Wimbledon job is beneath her (watch the interview) displays a poor attitude in my opinion.

There are ways of distancing yourself from a job and perhaps she needs to go on a media course. I get that she's a little miffed at reporters pushing the story and probably irked at the patronising of the women's game by some of them but that's not Wimbledon's fault. A very classless lady on this occasion I'm afraid.

To bump this after Keith Curle gets the boot at Northampton

And possibly a bit more of a surprise.......Tisdale gets the sack at Bristol Rovers

To bump this after Keith Curle gets the boot at Northampton

And possibly a bit more of a surprise.......Tisdale gets the sack at Bristol Rovers
Brizzle putting their own slant on "manager of the month", how long was he there for?

Curious timing for both, after the transfer window has closed. Panic in the league's basement!

There's one thing standing up for the ladies game and another for being very disrespectful to Wimbledon. They 'couldn't afford her' amongst other things.

An alternative pov is that had she taken a role at a professional men's club she could be striking new ground and pioneering a cause for women in football. After that she's made it harder for those calling for women to be given managerial posts in the men's game at a good level.

I'm sorry but as valid and entertaining as ladies football is, for her to try and suggest the Wimbledon job is beneath her (watch the interview) displays a poor attitude in my opinion.

There are ways of distancing yourself from a job and perhaps she needs to go on a media course. I get that she's a little miffed at reporters pushing the story and probably irked at the patronising of the women's game by some of them but that's not Wimbledon's fault. A very classless lady on this occasion I'm afraid.

Got a very high opinion of herself hasn't she? In the same interview she asserts that 'to say the women's game is a step down from the men's is an insult.'
Discuss
I know my view.
If Chelsea ladies were playing in my back garden I would draw the curtains. Apologies to Shanks.
Of course it's a step down. Even Grimsby Town would gub Chelsea ladies

Got a very high opinion of herself hasn't she? In the same interview she asserts that 'to say the women's game is a step down from the men's is an insult.'
Discuss
I know my view.
If Chelsea ladies were playing in my back garden I would draw the curtains. Apologies to Shanks.
Of course it's a step down. Even Grimsby Town would gub Chelsea ladies

It smacks of cake and eat it. There are loud calls for equality and complaints that women should be given an opportunity in men's football. Then when it's mooted, suddenly it's an insult. Like you allude to I would be interested to see what the result of Wimbledon or Grimsby for that matter, versus Chelsea ladies would be.

The only time she could be that disrespectful (even then it would lack class) is fresh from Chelsea Ladies beating Wimbledon and that won't be happening anytime soon as there are reasons why men and women athletes don't compete against each other in most sports (professional level) and sexism isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Well done to the posters who have posted so far. I hate women's football being brought up on the forum. It is almost impossible to give an opinion on women's football or any sport played by both sexes without being labelled a sexist if you give a negative view. The lady manager at Chelsea Ladies is not helping the cause for equality IMO.

Tisdale.... managed 626 games at Exeter in a 12-year spell. Since then he's managed 73 in 16 months at MK Dons and now just 19 in three months at Bristol Rovers. He's going backwards in his managerial career.

Well done to the posters who have posted so far. I hate women's football being brought up on the forum. It is almost impossible to give an opinion on women's football or any sport played by both sexes without being labelled a sexist if you give a negative view. The lady manager at Chelsea Ladies is not helping the cause for equality IMO.
"Well done to the posters who have posted so far. I hate women's football". Just end it there.

To clarify my position. I wholeheartedly support the involvement of girls and women in playing the game. What I object to is what has happened in the last decade since the FA got involved and introduced a subsidised professionalization of what was in existence before 2011.
There were a number of successfully run clubs in existence and the top level was the women's premier league. If I' m not wrong Lincoln City were represented. Another well established club was Doncaster Belles who were around before women's football became fashionable.
Once the FA took over there was a pretty rapid transition through a licencing system to the WSL comprising women's teams affiliated to many of the contemporary mens' Premier league clubs. There's a surprise.
Suddenly, clubs that had hitherto shown no interest jumped at the chance to have women's team and lo and behold they were deemed worthy by the FA.
The importance of this is that these professional teams do not generate their own income, they run at a loss and are in effect subsidised by the parent club. Peanuts to them.
This supposedly equivalent product to the men's game has small crowds and no TV money. The BBC and BT get it for free plus operational costs.
If it were down to market forces it would be a dead duck.
So in the space of 10 years we have gone from grass roots to having this mirror image of the Premier league rammed down our throats for the price of our licence fee.
Many of us object to the idea of premier league 'b' teams in the football league. To my mind this is as bad.
I find it particularly annoying that the BBC are in the habit of giving higher billing in their reports and results services to WSL clubs than say League 1 or 2 clubs.
Clearly as a spectacle there is no comparison between the mens' and women's games. They are not equal products and I think the market will continue to remind us of that. Different gravy.
Emma Hayes is living in the Chelsea bubble. Bank rolled to the tune of about £4.7 million a season. They could afford to give away £100,000 for winning the league to charity. Watch another Abramovich plaything? No thanks.
A view from 2021.

Last edited:
Just watched her interview. Was unaware of this story until reading this thread. I think she is quite delusional and has missed an important point. In the interview she talks about breaking through barriers and that there needs to be more diversity in the workplace. Totally agree. Good for football, as well as other places of work.

The irony is that Wimbledon, apparently, may have been prepared to do what she says should be done across football and she completely disparaged the interest they showed. There may be a day when Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs etc will seek out a woman as a head coach. But I absolutely guarantee you the first appointment won't take place in the Premiership. It will be teams in League 1, League 2, and non-league, that will pave the way and from there women may be offered positions as coaches and managers in the Premiership if they are successful, which I see no reason that they couldn't be if they have skills and backing.

Breathtakingly arrogant if I'm being honest, and completely clueless about her assessment of Chelsea and their organization.

Remind me again, which team employed the first black manager in the football league? Where were the "Big Six" when that appointment was taking place?