Management Team | Page 2 | Vital Football

Management Team

Steve O'Dare - 4/4/2016 12:43

NottyImp - 4/4/2016 11:21

"There is no chance we will ever be relegated with him in charge..."

Take a quick look at my signature...
Selective statistics. Let's look at the season so far as a whole.
Played 42 Won 15 Drawn 12 Lost 15 GF 62 Ga 59 GD 3 Points 57.

Not going to get relegated are we?

Not yet... ;)

I think if I recall the history to the selective stats correctly, they relate to the period since our last away win. That shocking run of form is very much ongoing.

Skip155 - 4/4/2016 12:48

I think if I recall the history to the selective stats correctly, they relate to the period since our last away win. That shocking run of form is very much ongoing.
Which means we are on a bad run of form. It does not mean that over the season we will be relegated. It is exceptionally easy to pick statistics out to prove virtually anything. I mean, for instance, we only need to score 4 goals in each or our remaining games to hit the 78 goal promotion target! :eek:

Haha Steve - that goals target has been hilarious all season. I guess the point of worry is the form we take into next season with apparently the crux of what is being described as a very good squad likely to remain in place. I think it's foolish not to be concerned. Chris clearly is which is a good thing to be fair.

I'm pretty middle of the road. I can't offer too many thoughts on performances because I've managed the gran total of 5 games this season, all of which were in the first couple of months of the season.

We ended last season like this season, though. In the first half of the season, we generally lost but won the next game but this is the third spell in 18 months where we've gone on a long winless/losing run. That isn't something that can be ignored.

As I said a few days ago, I don't really like this 'he's a fan like us' type of spiel. I think sentiment can get in the way of decision making and in my opinion, and I stand to be correct, we have a Board who are protective of Moyses and Moyses who's protective of Brown.

I think Moyses would walk if he had to but he's complicated that by his comment r.e. Brown, early on in his reign.

Disclaimer; I am firmly in the "keep" Chris Moyses as manager camp. I can be accused of a bias opinion, as I know the man and believe he has the qualities required to attract a squad capable of making the play-offs.

I believe a more relevant assessment of progress is league position attained, rather than points gained.

League position reflects the relative amount of progress/deterioration, better than the nominal measure of points gained. We need to be one of the 5 best teams in the league. This season we will probably be the 12th best according to league position? I think the previous managers (all of whom had greater managerial experience than Chris...a stick many detractors use to hit him with), could manage no better than 15th in the previous 3 or 4 seasons in this league?

Luke Imp - 4/4/2016 13:19

I think Moyses would walk if he had to but he's complicated that by his comment r.e. Brown, early on in his reign.

Could you remind me of that quote? Just out of interest.

Luke; I agree. Different managers inherit different situations. I am simply trying to find hard evidence, that backs up my subjective opinion, that the club as a whole has shown some "on pitch" progress since our relegation. Based on league position, we have, and most of it has been made in the past season (despite the disappointment of recent results.)

German Imp - 4/4/2016 17:57

For completeness should we not base progress on points gained ?

Just saying !

I think points and league position. We are blooding more young players than we have done fo a while, but the benefit, or not, of that won't become apparant for at least a year, probably longer.

imps_joe - 4/4/2016 16:31

Luke Imp - 4/4/2016 13:19

Could you remind me of that quote? Just out of interest.
There's probably a quote around somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it was from a radio interview/press conference and the wording of that was basically he was there to protect/look after Grant.

I can't remember whether that was just after Simpson got sacked or 2 or 3 weeks. That's not the exact wording but it was something along those lines.

SIMJON - 4/4/2016 18:20

Just saying !

I think points and league position. We are blooding more young players than we have done fo a while, but the benefit, or not, of that won't become apparant for at least a year, probably longer.

any benefit at this stage in the season also depends if any of wildin, caton, maris, mcdaid actually become our players...

otherwise who are we blooding them for.

nlondonimp - 4/4/2016 18:51

Just saying !

any benefit at this stage in the season also depends if any of wildin, caton, maris, mcdaid actually become our players...

Yep agreed. And if they do sign permanently, will they be any good for us etc.....

Even if they don't, and we develop/build on our reputation as a good club to send prospects out to then i'd say that's a factor to be considered when analysing 'progress'.

Points/Position is a decent measure, and definitely the most tangible, but there are others one could throw in the mix.

SIMJON - 4/4/2016 19:01

Just saying !

Yep agreed. And if they do sign permanently, will they be any good for us etc.....

Even if they don't, and we develop/build on our reputation as a good club to send prospects out to then i'd say that's a factor to be considered when analysing 'progress'.

Points/Position is a decent measure, and definitely the most tangible, but there are others one could throw in the mix.

fair point about building the reputation. and creating a link with clubs...

for instance, that could lead to further [better quality] loanees next season. leeds would be a useful link... not too far, biggish club that must have lots of decent youngsters kicking around some way off the first team.

we could learn a bit from these clubs too, in relation to bringing through our own juniors.

nlondonimp - 4/4/2016 19:23

Just saying !

for instance, that could lead to further [better quality] loanees next season. leeds would be a useful link... not too far, biggish club that must have lots of decent youngsters kicking around some way off the first team.

we could learn a bit from these clubs too, in relation to bringing through our own juniors.

Leicester. We used to get players from them. They may expand their squad this summer for Champions League, pushing some of their youngsters down the pecking order. Soon be time to get on the blower to Claudio, and while we're at it get another pre-season friendly against them.

simes69 - 5/4/2016 09:22

nlondonimp - 4/4/2016 19:23

Just saying !

Leicester. We used to get players from them. They may expand their squad this summer for Champions League, pushing some of their youngsters down the pecking order. Soon be time to get on the blower to Claudio, and while we're at it get another pre-season friendly against them.

They will not play us. Off to a rich tournament in the states very likely.