Management style, be careful what you wish for. | Vital Football

Management style, be careful what you wish for.

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
Sitting in the car for twenty five minutes (is it any wonder folk leave early?) in the after match traffic chaos that is Pride Park it was interesting to listen to the comparative post match appraisals of Lampard and Clough.
Tbh I didn’t think much of last night, thought we looked disjointed and unclear as to what the game plan was other than, if in doubt pass it to big Rich.
Not so according to Frank...he saw something I didn’t...thought we played very well, showed lots of commitment...a big improvement...singling Bogle in particular out for praise (agree with that bit).
Then over to Nigel after an apparently disappointing performance at Bradford. No holding back from Nige. One of his central defenders, no not Jake, had apparently made the cardinal sin of passing across his own box - good job he doesn’t watch us! - the pass had been intercepted and led to a goal. Don’t know what he was doing...schoolboy error...meant to be an experienced professional muttered Nigel in a public crucifixion of his player.
Now usually I’m all in favour of telling it like it is, but although Frank was so positive about a below par winning performance that he came across as slightly deluded, I’d rather have that than Nigel’s technique of public humiliation,
Bollockings, though often deserved, should never be conducted in public imo and it seems Nigel has learnt very little about man management over his dozen or so years in management.
Frank too has much to learn but, in terms of attitude and supporting his players, he’s light years ahead.

Regarding Nige he's trying to be like his Dad, but it ain't going to happen! Too much gob from both of them IMO.

Regarding Nige he's trying to be like his Dad, but it ain't going to happen! Too much gob from both of them IMO.

Times have changed though MoP. Cloughie (the real one) could be a bit of a bully....that just doesn’t work anymore.
Nigel and the owner have both recently spoken out about fans getting on the players’ backs...perhaps they’re just following the manager’s example. He was a bad man manager at Derby too imo.

Last edited:
Have to agree with you, RA. I can't see where we're going yet, but I'm prepared to give FL time to sort himself and the the team out. I think we've got to be prepared to wait some time before it all clicks into place.

Listening to Nigel last night was like listening to a broken record. Before the game he was bigging up the opposition and after the game, if they lose, he calls out individual players, officials, bad luck or the fact that they're a bigger club. I'm sure radio Derby have got half a dozen pre recorded interviews that they broadcast, best suited to that game.

Have to agree with you, RA. I can't see where we're going yet, but I'm prepared to give FL time to sort himself and the the team out. I think we've got to be prepared to wait some time before it all clicks into place.

Listening to Nigel last night was like listening to a broken record. Before the game he was bigging up the opposition and after the game, if they lose, he calls out individual players, officials, bad luck or the fact that they're a bigger club. I'm sure radio Derby have got half a dozen pre recorded interviews that they broadcast, best suited to that game.

Yep, totally agree R59. He’s got to be given time and those already calling him aren’t worth listening to.
Having said that, it was frustrating last night. I thought we’d invented a new game at times last night...or at least a new aim called...’pass back to Keogh’.
I know FL has forgotten more about football than most of us have ever known however it is difficult to see the plan or how everyone fits into it just at the moment...(late edit)...but he does seem to be doing a whole lot better than Clough, McClaren or Rowett. ;)

Last edited:
Sitting in the car for twenty five minutes (is it any wonder folk leave early?) in the after match traffic chaos that is Pride Park it was interesting to listen to the comparative post match appraisals of Lampard and Clough.
Tbh I didn’t think much of last night, thought we looked disjointed and unclear as to what the game plan was other than, if in doubt pass it to big Rich.
Not so according to Frank...he saw something I didn’t...thought we played very well, showed lots of commitment...a big improvement...singling Bogle in particular out for praise (agree with that bit).
Then over to Nigel after an apparently disappointing performance at Bradford. No holding back from Nige. One of his central defenders, no not Jake, had apparently made the cardinal sin of passing across his own box - good job he doesn’t watch us! - the pass had been intercepted and led to a goal. Don’t know what he was doing...schoolboy error...meant to be an experienced professional muttered Nigel in a public crucifixion of his player.
Now usually I’m all in favour of telling it like it is, but although Frank was so positive about a below par winning performance that he came across as slightly deluded, I’d rather have that than Nigel’s technique of public humiliation,
Bollockings, though often deserved, should never be conducted in public imo and it seems Nigel has learnt very little about man management over his dozen or so years in management.
Frank too has much to learn but, in terms of attitude and supporting his players, he’s light years ahead.

RA can't quite agree about Lampards after match interview fail to see how he could say he thought we played well We were bloody awful we do go to be entertained that was just clueless pass pass pass for the sake of it Never created anything any half decent team would have hammered us Its one thing sticking up for your players but to actually praise them for that performance surely sends the wrong message to players and fans

He’s learning his trade and still building a relationship with his players, mista.
It was a winning performance and he was probably as relieved about that as everyone else.
Can’t see what would have been achieved by ‘raining on’ the most minimal of ‘parades’ by publicly criticising the performance, though hopefully what has since been said behind closed doors is a different matter.

Personally I think the problem is that Lampard is following the current fashion amongst top clubs for playing out from the back without necessarily having the personnel to do it.
Our best moment on Tuesday night, imo, was when - having ‘improved’ the passing and possession stats by pointlessly passing back to Keogh half a dozen times - Tomori suddenly hit a long raking diagonal pass to Nugent (I think). It was fractionally overhit but was the sort of defence splitting ball that Huddlestone would have been proud of and that the situation was crying out for.
Build from the back and hit on the break, preferably with Lawrence playing through the middle and Hudds - or a more mobile replacement - supplying the ammunition and I think we’ll have much more success.

Last edited:
He’s learning his trade and still building a relationship with his players, mista.
It was a winning performance and he was probably as relieved about that as everyone else.
Can’t see what would have been achieved by ‘raining on’ the most minimal of ‘parades’ by publicly criticising the performance, though hopefully what has since been said behind closed doors is a different matter.

Personally I think the problem is that Lampard is following the current fashion amongst top clubs for playing out from the back without necessarily having the personnel to do it.
Our best moment on Tuesday night, imo, was when - having ‘improved’ the passing and possession stats by pointlessly passing back to Keogh half a dozen times - Tomori suddenly hit a long raking diagonal pass to Nugent (I think). It was fractionally overhit but was the sort of defence splitting ball that Huddlestone would have been proud of and that the situation was crying out for.
Build from the back and hit on the break, preferably with Lawrence playing through the middle and Hudds - or a more mobile replacement - supplying the ammunition and I think we’ll havemy the much more success.

RA Build from the back yes but you have to have the right personally unfortunately I'm not sure we have At the moment we are set up to have to pass out from the back because we are playing without either a target man or channel runners You may be right about Lawrence we need to something with him because playing him wide left he's contributing nothing Personally I would drop him and out Max Lowe at left wing back at least he wouldn't have to keep coming inside on to his right foot But then again I would play 4-4-2 that's why I pay to watch and not manage ?

Is this Tom Lawrence the same guy who's scored 2 goals in 4 games that's not contributing anything? Without having 2 big frontmen, there's little value in him blind running the wing and putting crosses in. I think we need to let things settle before we worry too much about positions, the side is very new and there are still players to bring in with fitness pending (Marriot comes to mind) before we'll see the shape FL wants to play.

In terms of media management, FL has plenty of experience from being a "name" player, as well as his cameo's on TV this last couple of years. Rowett's local radio and being that DCFC defender that faded away once we got promoted doesn't really have the same grounding. Clough Jnr, couldn't care less and think he got it wrong on most occasions. Clough Snr, I actually think his management of the media was one of his best strengths, granted it was unorthodox, but always worth listening to.

Is this Tom Lawrence the same guy who's scored 2 goals in 4 games that's not contributing anything? Without having 2 big frontmen, there's little value in him blind running the wing and putting crosses in. I think we need to let things settle before we worry too much about positions, the side is very new and there are still players to bring in with fitness pending (Marriot comes to mind) before we'll see the shape FL wants to play.

In terms of media management, FL has plenty of experience from being a "name" player, as well as his cameo's on TV this last couple of years. Rowett's local radio and being that DCFC defender that faded away once we got promoted doesn't really have the same grounding. Clough Jnr, couldn't care less and think he got it wrong on most occasions. Clough Snr, I actually think his management of the media was one of his best strengths, granted it was unorthodox, but always worth listening to.

Three actually Adi. Two well hit and shockingly defended free kicks and one great header, against Reading, when he was playing the role, or at least the position, I’d like to see him in.
No denying that he hits the ball beautifully and no denying that he’s got great pace but honestly, on Tuesday against Ipswich, he was wasted out wide and spent most of the match looking fairly disinterested.
Imo he’s a ‘player’ but we won’t see the best of him till he plays something much more like the Vydra role that he has played successfully at international level.

Thought Marriott looked a bit like a weeble in his Tuesday night cameo.
Seemed very mobile and you certainly wouldn’t want to collide with him.

Latest Rams News