Man City. N/G | Page 2 | Vital Football

Man City. N/G

It's pretty much what happened to Glasgow Rangers isn't it ?
That's what I was thinking. That surprised me as they are such a "big club" so I suppose it could happen. I think what will go against City is that they seem to have deliberately tried to hide what they've done. They can't claim a miscalculation or honest mistake. Come on FA, don't bottle it!!

Last edited:
This should be automatic relegation to the championship (minimum).

Unfortunately the PL run English football now, not the FA.

I'd be amazed if a "big" club were punished properly. Remember Spurs compared to Luton. I know we've gone over this on previous threads. My view is just anecdotal and I have no concerete proof but if someone gave me £100 to put a bet on it, I know which result I'd choose.

One of the main points that they've been done on is that the authorities find there is no differentiation between money given by the owners and sponsorship money given by Ettihad [quite legitimate] because Ettihad is owned by the clubs owners. I am unaware of the corporate set up of Ettihad. Normally, a company is protected by the corporate veil concept, unless it's deliberately abused. Another Saracens?

This could preface Guardiola's move to Juve.

Ettihad is owned by the State and as an absolute monarchy is therefore the personal possession of the Royal Family of which the owner of Man City is the direct heir. Ergo giving Etihad money = Owner giving money. The Lampard transfer to NYC was no different he was never going to play in NYC if they had their way.

This was pointed out years ago to the premier league by the parliamentary culture committee members but the FA chose to ignore it as they are obsessed with the EPL success.

But if you go after Man City you have to go after PSG, Seville, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Chelsea. But they won't because it wasn't FIFA or UEFA who asked for the investigation it was Barcelona, Real Madrid PSG o they clearly don't think they will ever get investigated.

Brings into the spotlight why the Saudis(Abu Dhabi and Saudis love each other can't believe they didn't tip them the wink this was coming) are buying Newcastle and will it be done there because they might get 40000 fans a match but their revenue is low. So how will they ever afford 100m striker that they need? Given the 40m gets you Joelinton

Mixed feelings about this one. Pleased that Man City’s shenanigans have been punished, but can’t help thinking that English teams’ success in Europe (and I always back even the most odious English teams in Europe) is a factor here. Why else have far more egregious monetary failings - especially Real Madrid’s repeated misconduct - been completely ignored?

No sympathy with City and there will be a reduction on appeal. It is clear however that the authorities are getting tougher and this could still do serious damage to City. I'm wary of crowing because the authorities are aiming low as well as high and there is a degree of fortune about where the finger points. Many of us have suspicions about the other big European clubs but how many Burys, Boltons and Southends are out there.

Man City own a number of clubs around the world and young players can be moved around and bigger players can be loaned out for a year to keep playing Champions League. At least we could still offer our star players Kent Senior Cup football in the event of a catastrophe.

No sympathy at all for the cheating barstewards. The ownership of several Premiership clubs have more than a shady complexion.

If this action leads to a more transparent Premier League then i`ll be happy.

Perhaps Man City will take the FA Cup even more seriously for the next couple of years.

The list of clubs is long

Bolton
Bournemouth
Brentford
Bristol City
Chelski
Derby county
Huddersfield
Leicester City
Watford
Wigan
Wolves

All of whom who have had standings their financial clout does equate to.

This is not a subject quite a few clubs want investigated too closely.

however they pail into insignificance compared with the likes of

Juventus
Roma
Lazio
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Barcelona
Real Madrid
PSG

If you go after Man City you have to go after the others.

Why would a German newspaper go after English clubs except at the behest of either another league or club? Given the Guardian's credentials why have they ignored it?

Happy that Man City have finally had their wings clipped but now go deal with the rest of them as well.

Abramovich was told by the inland revenue if he didn't stop trying to write losses at Chelsea against his business empire some would have to happen. Why was nothing ever done about that?

This is a Pandora's box and me thinks they want to slam the lid shut very quickly.

We have all known something is rotten in Denmark but this doesn't answer questions it raises more

The list of clubs is long

Bolton
Bournemouth
Brentford
Bristol City
Chelski
Derby county
Huddersfield
Leicester City
Watford
Wigan
Wolves

All of whom who have had standings their financial clout does equate to.

This is not a subject quite a few clubs want investigated too closely.

however they pail into insignificance compared with the likes of

Juventus
Roma
Lazio
Inter Milan
AC Milan
Barcelona
Real Madrid
PSG

If you go after Man City you have to go after the others.

Why would a German newspaper go after English clubs except at the behest of either another league or club? Given the Guardian's credentials why have they ignored it?

Happy that Man City have finally had their wings clipped but now go deal with the rest of them as well.

Abramovich was told by the inland revenue if he didn't stop trying to write losses at Chelsea against his business empire some would have to happen. Why was nothing ever done about that?

This is a Pandora's box and me thinks they want to slam the lid shut very quickly.

We have all known something is rotten in Denmark but this doesn't answer questions it raises more

Probably because the Guardian- despite being basing itself in shiny, new(ish) headquarters by Kings Cross and St Pancras stations in a gentrified corner of London- still wishes to be synonymous with the city of it's origins; it was orignally the 'Manchester Guardian' after all.

They might thus be reluctant to have targeted City, in part because they don't want to alienate much of their core, loyal Mancunian readership and become perceived as a 'London' paper betraying it's roots.

That's one possible theory anyway!

Finding it hard to give a fuck about this.

Man City have been rightly called out and banned from the competition. In the end, after an appeal, they'll probably be let back in with a fine that they'll be able to scrape together from what they find down the back of the sofa.

Most of the righteous anger about them seems to be coming from the red side of the city. As if their lot are any better. They just got into the club earlier. The only reason that the financial fair play rules were accepted in the first place was to stop upstarts barging in and competing with the Old Money.

Let's also bear in mind that there are no financial doping rules in place that affect the Premier League. They only kick in in the divisions below. The Premier League is not only actively destroying the English lower leagues, but also European competitions.

So fuck Man City by all means, but let's not pretend that any of the rest of them are any better. There hasn't been a level playing field for thirty years at least, so bugger the lot of them.

Luckily there's too much actual, proper football going on like what we enjoyed today to worry about what the multinationals are up to. A plague on all their wretched, corrupted houses.

Finding it hard to give a fuck about this.

Man City have been rightly called out and banned from the competition. In the end, after an appeal, they'll probably be let back in with a fine that they'll be able to scrape together from what they find down the back of the sofa.

Most of the righteous anger about them seems to be coming from the red side of the city. As if their lot are any better. They just got into the club earlier. The only reason that the financial fair play rules were accepted in the first place was to stop upstarts barging in and competing with the Old Money.

Let's also bear in mind that there are no financial doping rules in place that affect the Premier League. They only kick in in the divisions below. The Premier League is not only actively destroying the English lower leagues, but also European competitions.

So fuck Man City by all means, but let's not pretend that any of the rest of them are any better. There hasn't been a level playing field for thirty years at least, so bugger the lot of them.

Luckily there's too much actual, proper football going on like what we enjoyed today to worry about what the multinationals are up to. A plague on all their wretched, corrupted houses.

I have heard that the whole thing is an evil conspiracy by established clubs who did exactly the same and are seeking to pull up the ladder so new money cannot break in. I agree that, like the suffering of the rich, this does not produce much sympathy from me, but the rich suffer nonetheless -if in more comfort.

Here's myCity pal unbiased assessment.
text begins
Consider this scenario. You're accused of a crime you didn't commit but you're confident you'll be exonerated because you have a dossier full of evidence that proves you're innocent while all the prosecution have is third hand hearsay sourced from a person currently in custody awaiting trial for a number of very serious charges. At your trial you notice a business rival, whose company stands to benefit if you're found guilty, sitting on the jury. Then the judge refuses your lawyer permission to present the "irrefutable" evidence that would clear you. On top of that, while your trial is still ongoing, the judge is leaking to the press that you'll be found guilty and even the sentence you'll get. Then you get found guilty. However, there is public and media outrage at the unfair trial and lack of due process.

That in a nutshell is the situation City found themselves in. Apart from the public and media outrage.

text ends

Here's myCity pal unbiased assessment.
text begins
Consider this scenario. You're accused of a crime you didn't commit but you're confident you'll be exonerated because you have a dossier full of evidence that proves you're innocent while all the prosecution have is third hand hearsay sourced from a person currently in custody awaiting trial for a number of very serious charges. At your trial you notice a business rival, whose company stands to benefit if you're found guilty, sitting on the jury. Then the judge refuses your lawyer permission to present the "irrefutable" evidence that would clear you. On top of that, while your trial is still ongoing, the judge is leaking to the press that you'll be found guilty and even the sentence you'll get. Then you get found guilty. However, there is public and media outrage at the unfair trial and lack of due process.

That in a nutshell is the situation City found themselves in. Apart from the public and media outrage.

text ends

Christ! Is that really what they think in CityWorld?

Oh well, as AB says, leave them all to it.

Christ! Is that really what they think in CityWorld?

Oh well, as AB says, leave them all to it.
I don't know about the merits of the we never done nothing wrong bit, although he's followed it very closely. The uncompetitive oligarchy pulling up the ladder bit has the tang of truth to it though. Still, First World problems, eh?

To an extent, I can't really say I feel too much sympathy with their club's plight. I mean, it were City fans who simultaneously tried to persuade the rest of the country that they were top big for the Third Division back in 1999, that they were entitled to promotion back to the top two tiers of English football (regardless of their performance that season) and that they were also the 'only real team from Manchester'.

And yet in recent years, they have been happy to sell their soul to the corporate devil.

The only City fans I feel sorry for are the ones who look back on the 1999 play-off final (fvcking Dickov, Goater et al) and the immediate period thereafter where they were up-and-down between the Championship and premiership like a pair of whore's drawers, playing at Maine Road (even if the away end and surrounding Moss Side was intimidating for away fans).

I don't know about the merits of the we never done nothing wrong bit, although he's followed it very closely. The uncompetitive oligarchy pulling up the ladder bit has the tang of truth to it though.

It's like religion - it doesn't need to be true, it just needs people to believe it (or at least say they believe it).

Maybe Karma does come around. Francis Lee moaning about their Wembley ticket allocation back in 99 cos they were so massive against little Gillingham, fans celebrating after the game with Halsey, and the smug little runt Nicky Weaver. Back to League 2 - if only.

Whilst having little sympathy for the position Man City find themselves in, I hope the owners use their vast wealth to bring about the end of the present interpretation of FFP. At the moment it is just a means of maintaining the status quo, the 'old money' of European football keeping out new comers such as Man City, Red Bull Leipzig. and even Leicester City. This must be stopped asap and the authorities be it The FA UEFA or FIFA must be challenged in a court of law. A return to clubs being free to operate with no financial restrictions, responsible for their own actions. Free to sink or swim, must happen.

Whilst having little sympathy for the position Man City find themselves in, I hope the owners use their vast wealth to bring about the end of the present interpretation of FFP. At the moment it is just a means of maintaining the status quo, the 'old money' of European football keeping out new comers such as Man City, Red Bull Leipzig. and even Leicester City. This must be stopped asap and the authorities be it The FA UEFA or FIFA must be challenged in a court of law. A return to clubs being free to operate with no financial restrictions, responsible for their own actions. Free to sink or swim, must happen.
As ever "the rich shall inherit the earth" not the poor.